Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AA from the big 3... am I close?
Just catching up on other threads and realized the time constraints.... Okay, OP, if you want to get this done as quickly as possible, and want to talk to a human at the college in question right away, you need the West Virginia university system Board of Governors Associate of Applied Science degree, which only requires one course in residence.

The cheapest one in the WVU system that I've found is the one from Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College, which can be completed for ~$875 including fees. This includes the one in-residence class, which can be done online in an 8-week term. WVU Parkersburg also offers the same degree but it costs around $1500 including tuition and fees. The University designation might be important to you, though.

I have spoken to people at both offices and they were both very nice, very helpful, and willing to work with you to get you started as fast as possible.
Board of Governors Adult Degree Completion Program - Eastern WV Community & Technical College
Board of Governors Associate of Applied Science | WVU Parkersburg

Here's another thread about the WVUS AAS program. I wrote more about it in post #15:
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ors-s.html

West Virginia Board of Governors Associate of Applied Science

I. General Education Requirements 21 (you have 22)
1. Communications I 4 ENG105 Reading, Writing, Inquiry
2. Communications II 3 COM161 Intro to Public Speaking
3. Math 3 MATH117 Math Concepts
4. Science 3 PHY130 General Physics
5. Computer Literacy 3 CSC199 Intro to Information Technology
6. Social Science or Humanities 3 PSY180 General Psychology
7. Social Science or Humanities 3 THD104 Theatrical Experience
II. General (“free”) electives 39 (you have 52; need one class in residence at EWVCTC)
8. Any 8-week online EWVCTC course (maybe Intro to Business?) ($875)
9. 5 MAT130 Technical Math 1
10. 5 MAT230 Technical Math 2
11. 4 CHE101 Consumer Chemistry
12. 3 JPN350 Japanese Literature in Translation
13. 3 RGS200 Intro to Religious Studies
14. 3 ART121 Art Appreciation
15. 3 CHN101 Chinese
16. 3 PHY130 General Physics
17. 3 HIS221 American Experience to 1865
18. 3 ECO230 Macroeconomics
19. 3 RES132 Real Estate Principles
20. 4 GSC199 Earth Science
21. 4 ITD107 Intro to Tech Drawing
22. 3 CET284 Sustainable Design
23. 1 PHY131 General Physics Lab
24. 1 OR Orientation
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:If you are interested in Excelsior, many people here join the Peace Officers Association of Georgia (POAG) for their partnership discounts. POAG is easy to join and benefits a good cause.
Excelsior College | Peace Officers Association of Georgia

Op should be aware there is a minimum credit requirement for the Excelsior partnership programs.

Quote:The Undergraduate enrollment fee reverts to the standard rate if student does not complete a minimum of twelve (12) Excelsior College course credits prior to completion of their degree.
True, but it still saves $255 for the 3-credit Capstone tuition, and $45 off of the graduation fee. Every little bit helps.

It's too bad that Excelsior doesn't count UExcel exams toward the twelve online course credits, the way TESC counts TECEPs.

I think that the West Virginia AAS is the way to go for the OP or the TESC AA in General Studies, but it's good to know all the options.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Just wanted to give an update. My original university, Murray State, finally, FINALLY responded to all my questions and thanks to some very helpful, dedicated people, I found out I was only one class away from an AA in general studies. I just took the Western Civ 1 CLEP and they have agreed to accept a late graduation application (deadline was Nov) and also waive the enrollment requirement for me. So, I am cautiously optimistic that I will graduate in a few weeks.

At any time they could change their minds but... let's hope for the best. Thank you everyone for your feedback and I hope all the responses help someone else.

For me, a degree means I can get a visa and keep the live I've started to build here in Japan. Also, I first enrolled in University 11 years ago. It's nice to finally have something to show for it.

Thanks again to everyone who has tried to help me through all this!
lillingworth Wrote:Just wanted to give an update. My original university, Murray State, finally, FINALLY responded to all my questions and thanks to some very helpful, dedicated people, I found out I was only one class away from an AA in general studies. I just took the Western Civ 1 CLEP and they have agreed to accept a late graduation application (deadline was Nov) and also waive the enrollment requirement for me. So, I am cautiously optimistic that I will graduate in a few weeks.

At any time they could change their minds but... let's hope for the best. Thank you everyone for your feedback and I hope all the responses help someone else.

For me, a degree means I can get a visa and keep the live I've started to build here in Japan. Also, I first enrolled in University 11 years ago. It's nice to finally have something to show for it.

Thanks again to everyone who has tried to help me through all this!

Congratulations and best of luck!
Congratulations! I graduated from. Murray State in 1991 and I was very surprised that you were having issues. My experience with them was many years ago but they have a very good reputation and my personal experience was amazing! I wish you the best of luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So close! Need Help Denouden 6 874 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  AA Liberal Arts via CLEP only or close to it. spaceycowboy 5 871 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  So close I can feel yet so far deucess 0 360 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Last Post: deucess
  How Close Am I To Associates? Nerheim55 6 1,260 07-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Last Post: KayV
  Close to enrolling in TESC, but have a few questions, mainly about load. spare_liver 4 635 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Last Post: mrs.b
  Soooooo close! publius2k4 6 744 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Close to completing BA in Computer Science at TESC. Need some advice. beastmaster 3 721 12-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Last Post: beastmaster
  Close to Finishing Traditional College but... StarTorch 13 1,271 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Stitching Belle
  How Close Am I ?..............Degree Plan Help fuzzair 5 1,310 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Fully testing out (or close to) Mitchmcc 6 1,427 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Last Post: cookderosa