Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOS 110 question
Hello, First time student after a long break. Confused I know I'm cutting it close but was considering register for December for SOS 110 but am unfamiliar with class structure. Is there a physical book I need to get? How do you access course? Those who have taken it, how many hours per week did you feel you needed to dedicate to it. I'm nervous being so close to holidays with my kids events and family etc. Thank you!
Have you already finished most of your courses or is this your first class? If holidays are busy for you, you might want to postpone until at least January while you work on other classes from elsewhere.

SOS-110 is, by all accounts, easy enough that you can finish about 90% of it in the first week. IIRC, there is a "recommended" book, but it's not actually used in class. You don't have to have it. (I could be wrong about this.)
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-22-2021, 06:22 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Have you already finished most of your courses or is this your first class? If holidays are busy for you, you might want to postpone until at least January while you work on other classes from elsewhere.

SOS-110 is, by all accounts, easy enough that you can finish about 90% of it in the first week. IIRC, there is a "recommended" book, but it's not actually used in class. You don't have to have it. (I could be wrong about this.)

Wow! A 12 week course in one week? That seems crazy with writing papers. Do you know how to access course? Is it through MYEDISON?
SOS-110 is supposed to be one of the first courses (if not the first) that you take for your degree at TESU, even if most students on this forum take it LAST. It's not meant to be a difficult class. It's basically "College Readiness" with another name. Probably why it used to not be a required class.

IIRC, it's mostly a quiz/exam thing (I don't remember what this is called) and weekly discussion posts. The paper is short and easy to complete, at least when compared to the capstone.

When you're signed up for it, the course will be available through MyEdison when it's open. I think it usually opens a few days before the term starts, but not always.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The coursework is accessed through MyEdison. I don't recall at this point if MyFoundationsLab was a different login or how that worked. It was a quick part of the course.

Take a look at the syllabus for a lot of info about textbook, and extra purchase.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gyiz...4VIrI/edit
From the info TESU gives “There are no textbooks required for this course. Students will be required to purchase access to MyFoundationsLab. A link will be available in the course at the start of the semester.”
The term I took the course, we could not purchase MyFoundationsLab until the first day of class even though we could preview the other parts of the course about 2 days before it officially started.

You might take a look at this thread for personal experiences within last year or so. In one of the parts of that thread, someone listed a sample calendar and schedule. I think that might help with a lot of your questions about timing. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience

Most of the writing assignments were short (think 250-500 words if I recall correctly). The final paper was about 1000 words and in the section I took some of the previous assignments were drafts toward that final paper.
I don’t remember how much time a day or week I spent. I had time to do other things.
I was not able to complete 90% in the first week because I had to slow down a bit in the NimblyWise section as I did not get 90% on pretest in one part. However, I also was not pushing end of term deadlines for the course overall either. The instructor was ok with us posting early in discussion forum and turning in final paper early too.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • jch
Technically, you have assignments/deadlines for each course and you just need to follow that timeline. However, people just like to skip ahead and get most of it completed beforehand. If you are busy and this is the only course you're taking at TESU, then you have plenty of time to complete the course over the 12 weeks. Just make sure to complete the assignments and everything on time and you'll do fine...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This class took more mental energy than I expected. I have severe mental blocks, so I wasn't one of the ones that finished the course in a week. I pretty much stuck to the course schedule and passed with a B-. Luckily, the assignments are spaced out enough so that you have a lot of time to get your assignments in on time. No textbooks are needed.
In-progress/Upcoming:
South College - EDD - Higher Education
Southern Utah University - MM - Music Technology

Certs: ComptiaA+, SAS Data Scientist

Completed:
WGU - MS - Curriculum and Instruction, 2024
Thomas Edison State University - BA - Liberal Studies, 2023
Charter Oak State College - AA - General Studies, 2021

Certs: Google IT Support
Just finished it in September. There's a great post here that's worth searching out that gives some very good step-by-step plans for knocking it out.

You can't really finish it in a week because you have to submit posts on every major topic (about one per week) and respond to two other students' posts. I posted a lot of my comments on topics weeks in advance, but then had to wait until others had done so in order to respond.

The two major assessments (MyLab Foundational Skills and NimblyWise) it is important to spend a little time and be in a good mindset before starting. If you get above 70% (I think; it tells you) you're exempt from any of the additional assignments. If you don't, then there's a bunch of busy work that teaches you the stuff you missed. I was lucky enough to test out of both.

The short papers you can generally knock out in a couple hours each if you're a fast writer. Pay attention to sources and following APA-7. The final paper will take a little longer, maybe a few hours if you do a decent job on it.

So in my experience, it's far from rigorous, but just sort of tedious.

I highly recommend choosing Paul Kiesow as your instructor if his section is open. He's super helpful, gives good feedback, responds quickly, and is relatively fast in grading assignments. The one thing about Kiesow is that he doesn't appreciate/welcome early submission of assignments, so I just did them all in advance and held them until a day or two before they were due, and submitted them (which also gave me a moment to review them again to make sure I hadn't missed anything.) If you do the work well, he grades fairly. Personally, I probably overdo it on assignments, but I certainly don't think they are perfect and I got 100% on each assignment from him.

Because there's a lot to keep track of, I also found it helpful to create a spreadsheet with all of the assignments and their due dates. I'd open it a couple times a week to see what was due, and as each assignment was completed or submitted, I marked it on the spreadsheet.

And when you get to LIB-495 (assuming you're doing a liberal arts degree), I could not give higher accolades to Augustus Black and, as far as I'm concerned, he's the go-to mentor/professor for LIB-495. Incredibly helpful, encourages you to call for advice and suggestions (I made regular use of this) and he really will make you a much better writer and thinker.
[-] The following 2 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • jch, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 477 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,049 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,128 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Question about passing grades Randyb100 9 801 10-16-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  CMP-354 Essay question examples. CanICode 2 537 07-18-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Question about my Academic Evaluation AnalysisParalysis 19 2,153 07-15-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Yolan
  TESU Computer science process question emmaya 45 3,491 07-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Last Post: emmaya
  Second Degree After Liberal Arts Question Johnny_Bravo 8 948 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Flelm
  Saylor OPM-351 Business Statistics Question sarahmac 5 818 09-18-2022, 07:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  question on TESU non-proctored degree classes? EducationSeeker 7 1,464 08-03-2022, 08:01 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker