Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
(11-01-2018, 10:51 PM)Merlin Wrote: is that per semester or self-paced?

I am considering applying for the OMSCS but I don't want to start a program if it will take two years to complete it. I am leaning toward the WGU MBA or MSML partially because of the fact that I can get both of those done in under a year if I wanted to, or complete one in a few months and be free to start on a multi-year Ph.D. after that if I still have the itch to gain more degrees.

It is unfortunately per term (2 in spring term, only 1 in summer term, 2 in fall term). This is the only thing that made me question if I wanted to do it. Courses are "asynchronous," but not self paced.

But with my work willing to pay 100% for my education at a school on the level of GA Tech for this field, it's dumb for me to turn down. I wouldn't have been too upset if I was declined, because I would have done a competency based InfoSec degree AND an IT Management or MBA IT degree instead.... but ultimately just having GA Tech on the resume will open as many doors as two masters from unknown places. I think. Hopefully, at least Wink
In Progress: MS Cybersecurity, Georgia Tech (9/32cr), 2021?
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015

View all of my earned credits on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-01-2018, 11:52 PM)jsd Wrote: [quote pid='272196' dateline='1541130697']

It is unfortunately per term (2 in spring term, only 1 in summer term, 2 in fall term). This is the only thing that made me question if I wanted to do it. Courses are "asynchronous," but not self paced.

But with my work willing to pay 100% for my education at a school on the level of GA Tech for this field, it's dumb for me to turn down. I wouldn't have been too upset if I was declined, because I would have done a competency based InfoSec degree AND an IT Managemen or MBA IT degree instead.... but ultimately just having GA Tech on the resume will open as many doors as two masters from unknown places. I think. Hopefully, at least Wink
[/quote]

Well, if you get bored, you can always get your MBA at WGU while you're at it!  Big Grin
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • mysonx3
(11-02-2018, 12:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, if you get bored, you can always get your MBA at WGU while you're at it!  Big Grin

As long as you're paying Wink

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • mysonx3
(11-01-2018, 11:52 PM)jsd Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 10:51 PM)Merlin Wrote: is that per semester or self-paced?

But with my work willing to pay 100% for my education at a school on the level of GA Tech for this field, it's dumb for me to turn down. I wouldn't have been too upset if I was declined, because I would have done a competency based InfoSec degree AND an IT Management or MBA IT degree instead.... but ultimately just having GA Tech on the resume will open as many doors as two masters from unknown places. I think. Hopefully, at least Wink

Bah, that is what I thought. I assume the OMSCS is set up the same way, despite being delivered primarily in MOOC format. So, at max, you can earn 15 credits per year; which means you're looking at a minimum of two years to complete the degree (assuming 30-36 credits like most MS degrees).

If I needed something like this for work the time investment would be worth it for sure. Hard to beat the GA Tech name on a tech-based degree. Doubly so given your company will pay for it.
In Progress: MBA (IT Management), Western Governors University (31/35cu | Sep 2019)
Up Next: Perhaps an MSCS or a DBA/DM/Ph.D.

Complete:
BSBA in Computer Information Systems, 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Computer Science, 2019, Thomas Edison State University

B&M CC: 8.68cr, TESU: 3cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(121.68 credits total. 95 credits earned in 10 months, with 45 of those earned in ~3 months)
Yeah CS is the same way it appears, according to the catalog. CySec is also MOOC based by the way... just through EdX instead of uDacity

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Merlin
Congratulations! I would suffer for two years for a free Georgia Tech degree too. LOL
PhD (in progress)
Masters and Graduate Certificate
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, Nixi
Congrats!!
TESU BALS Humanities
Post-BacDoane University In Prog. 20 of 43 Sem. Hours Complete
CASPer Done MCAT 9/14/19, Medical School
Shadowing Hours: EM - 65H, FM - 25H, IR - 10.5H, Clinical Hours: 110
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • jsd
Congrats! I'm looking very hard at the Comp Sci masters. I've been very impressed with their material.
Currently studying for: University of the Cumberlands - PHD Leadership (2020), Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 

Done!
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
[-] The following 1 user Likes mednat's post:
  • jsd
Congrats!!!! I had started OMSCS, but didn't have the time to continue it. I will say that you may be hard pressed to keep up with even 2 courses at a time. This will NOT be like banging out Study.com or CLEP undergrad courses!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio? - InstantCert Credit
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
(11-02-2018, 10:56 AM)davewill Wrote: Congrats!!!! I had started OMSCS, but didn't have the time to continue it. I will say that you may be hard pressed to keep up with even 2 courses at a time. This will NOT be like banging out Study.com or CLEP ungrad courses!

Yeah I am a little nervous about this. I don’t want to do one at a time and extend it to theee years, but I don’t think 32 WGU units in 6 months can compare to even 6 GT graduate credits in a term.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCEPTED into Missouri State university MBA Cyber Security Imbanewbie 21 871 07-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Accepted - University of Oklahoma - MS in Finance Online ThatBankDude 7 381 05-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  Got accepted in upenn online mcit with my tesu bachelor posabsolute 15 5,422 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Doctor of Science in Cybersecurity from Marymount johnw 3 439 04-03-2019, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  WGU vs Georgia Tech jcmechem 7 557 03-09-2019, 12:11 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Data Analytics, Cybersecurity, or Accounting sanantone 14 863 02-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity durain 18 1,641 11-02-2018, 03:28 PM
Last Post: jsd
  West Texas A&M ACE/Study.com not accepted for Masters work Gloddy 14 1,014 10-01-2018, 02:39 AM
Last Post: NolaRice
  Georgia Southern University Offers Online Students Assistantships, But... sanantone 0 598 06-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  GA Tech Cybersecurity Masters (like OMSCS) quigongene 14 2,514 04-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Last Post: jsd