Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
(04-19-2019, 01:07 PM)jsd Wrote: I would really enjoy 8 week. It seems like a nice compromise.

After this course, you should take a small road trip.

(04-19-2019, 01:07 PM)jsd Wrote: I would really enjoy 8 week. It seems like a nice compromise.

After this course, you should take a small road trip.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(04-19-2019, 12:53 PM)Merlin Wrote: While I prefer a self-paced competency approach, I think I'd be okay with accelerated 8-week courses. I suppose I would probably be okay with 16-week courses as long as they were engaging and kept me interested. The 12-week TESU capstone course just felt like it dragged on forever.

16-week terms is what killed it for me at traditional schools - I just could not keep my interest going for that long.  When I switched to a different (expensive, private) school that had all kinds of different terms (10-week was the most popular, but I also took a 5-week weekend "intensive"), I found I did MUCH better.  Once I changed jobs to something that didn't have tuition reimbursement, then I was out of luck.  Until I found this forum.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Honestly, I find even 12 week terms to be a drag. Wish I had planned in more APU classes (they've got many with 8-week terms)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Whew, okay...

Both my Policy course and Intro to IS course project 4s came back, with 100% for each!

On top of that, my policy professor asked if he could use/share my paper (along with two other students' papers) as a model for next term. I knew I'd do well on the paper, but I'm surprised it did that well. No complaints!

Very exciting way to end the term.

Official grades were posted for both courses, and I got As in both. So I'm officially a 4.0 grad student, at least until the next term ends Big Grin

Oh, and now my OmniTranscript is updated to include grad credits Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 6 users Like jsd's post:
  • alab21, dfrecore, Jonathan Whatley, Life_One, Nixi, quigongene
(04-23-2019, 11:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 12:53 PM)Merlin Wrote: While I prefer a self-paced competency approach, I think I'd be okay with accelerated 8-week courses. I suppose I would probably be okay with 16-week courses as long as they were engaging and kept me interested. The 12-week TESU capstone course just felt like it dragged on forever.

16-week terms is what killed it for me at traditional schools - I just could not keep my interest going for that long.  When I switched to a different (expensive, private) school that had all kinds of different terms (10-week was the most popular, but I also took a 5-week weekend "intensive"), I found I did MUCH better.  Once I changed jobs to something that didn't have tuition reimbursement, then I was out of luck.  Until I found this forum.

Same. Harvard's terms are 16 weeks, and because of the holiday, I had one that was even 17 weeks. TESU's were 12 just barely ok - I am soooo dead after about 8 lol. I took summer sessions at Ocean for some of my sciences, and 5 weeks is brutal, however, it's by far my preference too.
I'm one week in to my Summer term, taking "Introduction to Cyber-Physical Systems Security" which satisfies a required "flexible core" course, making sure we're well rounded Wink

only one course this summer unfortunately.

It's actually a pretty interesting class, even though it has nothing to do with my professional field. I'm 2/3 done with the first project due june 2nd (part 3 is making me pull my hair out again), but i think so far so good?

i've built a strong relationship with one person from term one who has joined me in this course, and a lukewarm relationship with another term 1 person in this course.... so it's nice to have shared experiences with folks along the way -- something that i haven't really had in the alt-credit world (outside of this forum, but we're all on such different paths here on the forum)

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 4 users Like jsd's post:
  • allvia, Life_One, Nixi, quigongene
I start in the Fall.  Any suggestions?   How much time do you spend a week?  Also will I be guaranteed a spot in the policy and the intro to security class?  I got into InfoSec program, but I am really temped to switch to Energy.  Do you know if I have to re-apply or if I can switch.
(05-25-2019, 11:16 PM)bugfree Wrote: I start in the Fall.  Any suggestions?   How much time do you spend a week?  Also will I be guaranteed a spot in the policy and the intro to security class?  I got into InfoSec program, but I am really temped to switch to Energy.  Do you know if I have to re-apply or if I can switch.

Congrats, welcome to the program!

The IIS course is huge, it started out over 1,000 (with 250 spots reserved for CySec students and as opposed to CompSci). You should be fine. It dwindled down to about 600 I believe by the withdrawal date. Policy is much smaller, up to 250 spots available, but I believe only 75 students where in my term. So I think you'll be fine in both. One caveat is that I was in the first cohort of 250, and you'll be starting when they've added the second cohort -- I have no idea if that second cohort is larger than 250 or not. You'll be competing with both groups, though I'd be shocked if anyone hadn't taken IIS and Policy by then from the first cohort.

I started in InfoSec, but switched to Policy because my CompSci background is non-existant and not strong enough for some of the courses I was facing, and what i do professionally matches policy, management, and compliance closer and the track was a better fit. When I did it, I literally filled out a form requesting it and within a week i was approved to move. However, I did it very early and was likely the first student in the program to do so. In speaking with students who tried it a while after me, they had to fill out the form and write a new Statement of Purpose for the dean of the school for the track they moved to. So I would expect you would at least have to do that.

As far as suggestions... I think they upped the requirements for your cohort so you probably have a stronger background than me. But if you don't, check out the free CS MOOC they recommend (i think it's python-based). That would be the bare minimum I guess. for IIS, you'll be doing a very basic buffer overflow (though I saw one of the TAs was retooling this project a bit, so it might be less basic than it was for me) so you can look into overflows with C and gdb, using cuckoo for virus analysis (there's nothing really worthwhile to prepare for here, you figure it out as you go), RSA exploitation with python - so know a bit of python and hopefully you don't hate math as much as i do, and finally web based exploits that you'll need to implement CSRF, XSS, and SQL injections for. Know how to read PHP and utilize basic html, and a little bit of basic javascript.

For Policy, there's nothing to prepare for. The course is a breeze, but it does require some groups stuff. Your final paper is an application of the Diamond Model of Intrusion analysis, you can look up that paper but you'll have plenty of time to learn about it in class.

Get ready to do a lot of self-directed learning. Your'e not hand-held throughout the work.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Life_One, Pikachu
Thanks for the suggestions.  Big Grin

I have studied CS before and I have spent the last few years studying every cyber security class I could get my hands on.  Plus, I used to work for a top software company as a tester, so my programming is decent.  I was thinking of switching to the energy track because the Department of Energy has a lot of jobs in my new town.  In October I am starting on a MS in EE, so I will be busy later in the semester.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bugfree's post:
  • jsd
This summer term of 1 course has been keeping me busier than the normal length term with 2 courses!

I got my Project 1 grade back --- my 100% streak has survived! I need it, because the current project I've been working on is killing me and there is no way I'll get another 100% on this second project... it's also been taking up all of the time I should be studying, and the midterm is coming up next weekend. I do not feel confident about it at all. I'm just hoping for a solid B on this second project, and I'll be happy.

PLC ladder logic is not fun Big Grin

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,360 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,714 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,274 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,404 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Master of Public Administration and MBA, University of North Georgia JPN 6 946 03-15-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,176 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,258 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,808 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,813 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive