Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
Thumbs Up 
(11-01-2018, 06:28 PM)jsd Wrote: Today I found out that I have been accepted into the first cohort of Georgia Institute of Technology's new Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity program!! This will be for the Information Security Track (as opposed to their Energy Systems Track or Policy Track). I thought this was a long shot when I applied, especially since they said they were limiting the first round of admissions to 250 students and there was a very large application pool.

Classes start January 7th, and I'm limited to taking two courses at a time. So this will be a much longer program than I'm used to, which might be hard to adjust to after finishing two undergrad degrees in about year or less each.

I'll use this thread as a progress share once I start up, and let everyone know how the program goes.

I'm very excited, even though a little nervous about the caliber of work and having to commit to such a long program.

Go Yellow Jackets!
Wow, congrats! 
(11-01-2018, 07:20 PM)jsd Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 07:10 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Congratulations! What is the cost for the program, if you don't mind me asking?

Just under $10k. My work reimburses up to $5k a year, so since this is a 2 year program it’ll end up being free for me  Big Grin
NICE!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nixi's post:
  • jsd
(11-01-2018, 06:28 PM)jsd Wrote: Today I found out that I have been accepted into the first cohort of Georgia Institute of Technology's new Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity program!! This will be for the Information Security Track (as opposed to their Energy Systems Track or Policy Track). I thought this was a long shot when I applied, especially since they said they were limiting the first round of admissions to 250 students and there was a very large application pool.

Classes start January 7th, and I'm limited to taking two courses at a time. So this will be a much longer program than I'm used to, which might be hard to adjust to after finishing two undergrad degrees in about year or less each.

I'll use this thread as a progress share once I start up, and let everyone know how the program goes.

I'm very excited, even though a little nervous about the caliber of work and having to commit to such a long program.

Go Yellow Jackets!

Now THAT'S some great news!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Wow, that's fantastic! Please keep us updated.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes mudball's post:
  • jsd
There are 3 tracks (concentrations) for this Cybersecurity program - Information Security, Energy Systems, or Policy. They've only admitted InfoSec track people for this first Spring 2019 semester, and the other two won't open until Fall 2019.

However, they have approved my request to be moved into Policy track come Fall, and in the meantime I can take courses that overlap between tracks while still being in the original track.

The Policy track is a little more related to what I do (and what I want to do going forward). The team has been really great to work with and quick to answer questions. They had a virtual orientation last week that was very well run, too.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • MahoganySEO, Pikachu, quigongene
(12-12-2018, 12:12 PM)jsd Wrote: they have approved my request to be moved into Policy track come Fall, and in the meantime I can take courses that overlap between tracks while still being in the original track.

Good to know that you can switch up. I'm planning on the Infosec track, but will shift to policy if it gets beyond my capabilities.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Each track is run by a different college within the school, and I just needed approval from the public policy college advisor. It took a couple days and was really easy.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Registered for my first two courses today, which start on Monday. Both courses are part of the program "core" that all tracks require:

CS 6035 Intro To Info Security
PUBP 6725 Info Security Policies

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 4 users Like jsd's post:
  • allvia, Kima, quigongene, ThatBankDude
(01-03-2019, 12:02 PM)jsd Wrote: Registered for my first two courses today, which start on Monday. Both courses are part of the program "core" that all tracks require:

CS 6035 Intro To Info Security
PUBP 6725 Info Security Policies

That is great! Good luck and I look forward to seeing updates as you progress in the program!
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • jsd
Congrats. This is really impressive to be accepted. I was reading some posts on Reddit that list who got in and who did not get accepted. People with impressive backgrounds IMO were rejected. Can you add any insight or tips into what you think made you stand out to the selection committee? Again, great job and good luck with the program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cardiacclep's post:
  • kvolivera
Thanks!

Not too sure what made me stand out.

I currently work in the infosec field in a Fortune 30 company within the financial industry and have a few years under my belt. I have a BS in IT Sec (from WGU), as well as an unrelated BA in Psych (TESU).

As part of my WGU degree, I racked up a number of industry certs that I talked about in my application essay (CCNA Security, CCNA, CCENT, Linux+, LPIC-1, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+, & CIW SDA). I also talked about accelerating my first two degrees through competency based education (WGU - 76 cr in just over a yr, and much of my Pysch degree was done at Patten Univ [now JFK Univ] - 27cr in 3mos, then a number of quick ACE credits for TESU).

My early academic performance was poor right after high school and I ended up dropping out after my first couple semesters, but when I got serious and came back I made pretty decent grades (3.6+ GPA even with Fs, Ds, and a chunk of Cs from my first go around).

So it was a lot for them to look at. I think I did a pretty good job on my application essays as well. Despite my numerous typos and half-expressed thoughts in this forum, I can write pretty dang well when i need to.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Life_One, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,361 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,714 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,274 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,408 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Master of Public Administration and MBA, University of North Georgia JPN 6 946 03-15-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,176 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,258 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,808 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,815 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive