Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
So how've you been finding the security courses so far?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nixi's post:
  • jsd
It's a little early to say, only being about two and a half weeks in... But so far it's surprisingly smooth. Other than a more considerable amount of reading, these courses don't seem all that different than an undergrad course. That being said, I'm taking two intro courses basically, so I know it won't stay that way forever.

The first project for the IIS course is pretty complex though. I don't have a Comp Sci background so I'm a little behind the average student in the program probably, but I've gotten it mostly figured out. In addition to a paper explaining some concepts that we're learning, I have to write a buffer overflow exploit for a provided vulnerable application. It took me a while to figure out, whereas I'm sure it was a bit easier for those with the CS background. I think I'm good to go on that part. Now I need to stop being lazy and write the rest of the report.

the Policy class is insanely simple. The lectures are very very short every week, followed by a considerable volume of reading, but not necessarily difficult reading. The first project for this course revolves around phishing, and could literally be done in an hour or two... except that it's a group project  Angry

As I'm sure everyone has experienced with group projects, it takes every simple task and turns it into a whole ordeal. So the project will become a 2 week long slog.

But overall I'm surprised how good it's been going, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 7 users Like jsd's post:
  • cookderosa, Life_One, Merlin, Nixi, Pikachu, quigongene, SuperTal
Time for an update, I suppose!

I'm about halfway through my first semester!

In each class we've done weekly quizzes, two projects per each course, and midterm for one course (there is no midterm for the other).

The second projects for each class were just due and haven't been graded yet, but with everything else in I have solid As in both courses.

After I get the project two grades in, I'll have two more projects per course, more weekly quizzes, and a final.

The lectures and readings for each course are are still like I've said before not much different than undergrad courses, with the exception of more readings. The midterm was thankfully easier than I was anticipating, but certainly not a free-pass.

The projects for InfoSec Policies and Procedures were both group projects, with all of the frustration and trappings of a group project. They were both very simple, and could have been completed over a weekend if done individually. My group was easy to work with, but one guy was a complete no-show with zero input. Always fun pulling someone else's weight in these situations.

The Intro to InfoSec projects have been much more challenging, but fun. The lectures and readings are not enough to get you anywhere near figuring out how do do these things. It's all a much deeper dive and you need to figure it out mostly on your own. WGU prepared me well for this, though, and in a grad program I don't mind not being coddled and spoon-fed the info. It can certainly be frustrating, but I definitely learned more than if I would have heard this all in a lecture.

The next two projects in Policies are not group projects, and look to be relatively simple as well (though I don't have the full information about either of them available to me yet).

The next two in Intro to InfoSec look to be much much more challenging for me, and will really test my extremely weak coding background. I might be in for a frustrating couple months. Wish me luck Smile

I am very much enjoying the program so far, and I'm feeling good knowing that I'm on track to ace both courses -- though I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't hold up in the Intro course after the next projects. The only complaint I have is that waiting for our grades on everything is slow and painful -- The instant gratification of the self-paced way i did my bachelor degrees has certainly spoiled me. We had to wait almost a month for our Intro to InfoSec project grade. About a week for exam grades. But that's more of the result of being spoiled by my previous programs, not a big fault of Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 7 users Like jsd's post:
  • allvia, hsfamfun, Life_One, Merlin, Nixi, Pikachu, Sapientes
I might have missed it, but how are the lectures done? Are they live stream or recorded?
Recorded and delivered through EdX and Udacity. So, asynchronous, but the weekly quizzes assume you've finished that week's lectures of course. For IIS, I could watch all lectures in advance, but for IS Policy the lectures are split under 4 main subjects and you can only watch the lectures under those 4 subjects as they make the larger topic available. So you can only get ahead so much in that class. Projects, exams, and quizzes have not been available in advance, however.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Pikachu
(03-02-2019, 06:02 PM)jsd Wrote: Recorded and delivered through EdX and Udacity. So, asynchronous, but the weekly quizzes assume you've finished that week's lectures of course. For IIS, I could watch all lectures in advance, but for IS Policy the lectures are split under 4 main subjects and you can only watch the lectures under those 4 subjects as they make the larger topic available. So you can only get ahead so much in that class. Projects, exams, and quizzes have not been available in advance, however.

That's so interesting! I wasn't sure how they were delivering content.
Just got the Project 3 details for IIS.

wowza. It looks very interesting, but also looks like i'll be pulling out my hair and sobbing for the next month.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Okay, got Project 2 grades back for both courses!

For our group project for IS Policy (writing a ransomeware policy for a hospital), we received 97%

For my Intro to IS course project (analyzing Malware), I somehow inexplicably received 100% Smile

I felt confident, like I was going to receive a solid A on the IIS project, but there was some vague aspects to the project that I thought would throw me. So I was definitely surprised to see 100%.

I've also submitted Projects 3 for both courses now, but those aren't yet due so I will be waiting a very long time for grades on them. For not having much of a computer science background, I feel like I was able to hold my own on the IIS project. We'll see how it goes.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 8 users Like jsd's post:
  • allvia, dfrecore, hsfamfun, Life_One, Merlin, Nixi, Pikachu, Sapientes
Congratulations, I may go to get cyber security too maybe we can talk about some relate class
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

93% on IS Policy project #3. A little bummed I didn't get any real feedback as to why I missed the 7 points, but in A is an A Smile

Proj 3 for IIS just hit the due date a few days ago, so it'll be a while before I hear back on that.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,359 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,714 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,273 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,634 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,399 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Master of Public Administration and MBA, University of North Georgia JPN 6 946 03-15-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,176 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,257 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,808 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,812 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive