Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
(04-06-2019, 12:32 PM)jsd Wrote: It's hard to say how much weight they put on work experience, but it's definitely something they looked at. Most of the cohorts I've had interaction with are established professionals.

But I wouldn't let that discourage your son too much, there's at least one individual in the program switching career tracks from a GFX type of gig into cybersecurity, so it's not mandatory he have 10 years of experience or whatever.

I think the helpdesk will certainly help. The community college probably doesn't have a Security Operations Center, but if he can find a SOC to get his foot in the door, they have entry level jobs that can provide a ton of on-the-job prep and opportunity to advance to higher roles.

GT's Cybersecurity program (at least the IS track) is still essentially a computer science degree. Most of the courses are just borrowed directly from the OMS Computer Science program. He should know programming basic skills, it will be difficult to get by without them (unless he takes the cowards way out like me and moved into policy Big Grin )

Thank you so much!! We have a lot of time, but I can't help but think ahead. Wink Your advice helps! I encouraged him to learn some programming, however, I suspect he'll be more motivated if one of his teachers suggests it lol.
(11-01-2018, 06:28 PM)jsd Wrote: Today I found out that I have been accepted into the first cohort of Georgia Institute of Technology's new Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity program!! This will be for the Information Security Track (as opposed to their Energy Systems Track or Policy Track). I thought this was a long shot when I applied, especially since they said they were limiting the first round of admissions to 250 students and there was a very large application pool.

Classes start January 7th, and I'm limited to taking two courses at a time. So this will be a much longer program than I'm used to, which might be hard to adjust to after finishing two undergrad degrees in about year or less each.

I'll use this thread as a progress share once I start up, and let everyone know how the program goes.

I'm very excited, even though a little nervous about the caliber of work and having to commit to such a long program.

Go Yellow Jackets!

I just applied two days ago. Once you applied, how long did it take before you received an acceptance confirmation?
(04-05-2019, 02:31 PM)jsd Wrote: Proj 3 for IIS just hit the due date a few days ago, so it'll be a while before I hear back on that.

Pleasantly surprised to find I hit 100% on this project!

If I did well on Prj4 (which I believe I did), then it is at the point where I can bomb the final and still get an A in the course.

(04-05-2019, 02:31 PM)jsd Wrote: I just applied two days ago. Once you applied, how long did it take before you received an acceptance confirmation?

I applied on September 7th, and I received the department's decision email on November 1st.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • sanantone
Congrats! You deserve it JSD! One of the smartest people on this board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rckola911's post:
  • jsd
JSD,

How would you compare the bachelors program at WGU to the classes you've taken so far at GA Tech?
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(04-18-2019, 03:10 PM)rckola911 Wrote: Congrats! You deserve it JSD! One of the smartest people on this board.

Haha, not so sure about that, but thank you!

(04-18-2019, 03:26 PM)quigongene Wrote: JSD,

How would you compare the bachelors program at WGU to the classes you've taken so far at GA Tech?

I kind of touched on this previously, but the biggest difference is just the difference of undergrad vs graduate level work.

The GT program is much more traditional and scheduled, but I'm still relying on a ton of self-study (though a lot of that is due to my lack of a CS background, and probably not so much an intended aspect of the program). The learning curve is a lot more steep, but I expected it to be. 

It's nice to have a large group of students all working on the same thing at the same time that you can bounce ideas off of and commiserate with, something you kind of forget exists when you're going the CBE/alt-credit route.

The term is way too long though. I'm much less motivated now than I was weeks ago, mostly because of how much everything has dragged on. The 16 week term needs to be trimmed down by like a month (and luckily the summer term just about is, so that will be nice).

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(04-18-2019, 04:18 PM)jsd Wrote: The term is way too long though. I'm much less motivated now than I was weeks ago, mostly because of how much everything has dragged on. The 16 week term needs to be trimmed down by like a month (and luckily the summer term just about is, so that will be nice).

16-week terms? Egads. That sounds miserable. Though I suppose that really isn't all that unusual for colleges on a semester system. I thought the 12-week terms at TESU were abysmally slow, I'm not sure if I'd be able to tolerate 16-week terms. Undecided
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Just about all traditional colleges on the semester system are going to offer 16-week or 8-week terms. It doesn't really matter to me. I can either take four courses per 16-week term or two classes per 8-week term. The only time it makes a difference is towards the end. At Angelo State, I had two classes to take at the end, so I finished my degree in the middle of the semester since the program had 8-week terms, but I still had to wait until the end of spring to graduate.

My program at University of Florida is one credit hour longer, and I'll be finishing two months faster even though they only offer 16-week terms. I think the terms are a little shorter during the summer. In total, the program would have taken me 12 months to complete.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-19-2019, 11:05 AM)sanantone Wrote: Just about all traditional colleges on the semester system are going to offer 16-week or 8-week terms. It doesn't really matter to me. I can either take four courses per 16-week term or two classes per 8-week term. The only time it makes a difference is towards the end. At Angelo State, I had two classes to take at the end, so I finished my degree in the middle of the semester since the program had 8-week terms, but I still had to wait until the end of spring to graduate.

My program at University of Florida is one credit hour longer, and I'll be finishing two months faster even though they only offer 16-week terms. I think the terms are a little shorter during the summer. In total, the program would have taken me 12 months to complete.

While I prefer a self-paced competency approach, I think I'd be okay with accelerated 8-week courses. I suppose I would probably be okay with 16-week courses as long as they were engaging and kept me interested. The 12-week TESU capstone course just felt like it dragged on forever.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I would really enjoy 8 week. It seems like a nice compromise.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,361 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,714 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,277 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,410 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Master of Public Administration and MBA, University of North Georgia JPN 6 946 03-15-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,176 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,258 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,809 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,817 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive