Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
I would say that is an over estimate in my experience. SOME weeks there are projects that will need a lot of time, but some weeks are light.

It will really depend on your background, your track, and how motivated you are.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-21-2020, 01:12 PM)jsd Wrote: I would say that is an over estimate in my experience. SOME weeks there are projects that will need a lot of time, but some weeks are light.

It will really depend on your background, your track, and how motivated you are.

Are the projects from a business or technical perspective?

I.e., the difference between an Enterprise Information Security Policy and a task where you hack a website on contract
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Just coming back around here for another update. I haven't poked around the forum in a good while. Looks like a dumpster fire of changes from ACE transcripts to TESU no longer being Big 3. Ouch.

This term I finished out PUBP 6502 Information and Communications Technology Policy  and  INTA 6742 Modeling, Simulation and Military Gaming. Ended with an A in both, keeping that 4.0 alive heading into my final term in the spring (where I'll inevitably blow it  Tongue ).

The Policy course was really what you make of it. Good professor and lots of great information from a historical perspective and how it shapes the modern landscape. But you could also do very little and still get by just fine in that class. If you want to learn, there's plenty to take in from the class. If you're lazy, you'll probably still be fine and just won't learn anything.

INTA 6742 Modeling, Simulation and Military Gaming was a complete waste of time. It's primarily looking at and modeling historical military battles, with no relation to modern cybersecurity/cyberwarfare threats. i thought it would at least attempt to tie in historical real world battles to where we might be headed as far as cyberwarfare, but it didn't even attempt to make that connection. This is not a cybersec course. I'm sure it's fun if you're a history or military strategy buff, but it has no business being in a Cybersec program. Almost the entirety of your grade is based on a term-long group project, so just hope you get put in with a good group. Luckily, I was with some solid peers. But it was a complete waste of time and money (thank you, employer tuition reimbursement!). I didn't really have the option to take different courses since none were ready yet for the program since this is the first run, but if you have the opportunity I would avoid this... unless you don't care about learning cybersec specific information in a cybersec program.

Now it's off to the Practicum in Jan, which is essentially a mini-thesis. It is pitched on their website still as an internship or a work project, but the people who went through it for the first time this term, and all the information the school has provided to us makes it clear that it is misrepresented. You're not working with your current employer or an internship, you're solving a research question.

I have no idea what I'll be writing about, but hopefully something comes to me. Pretty nerve-racking. I think the practicum will kill my 4.0 GPA at the school, but I'm not too worried about it. That's just a vanity thing, and I'll still end with a high GPA anyway even if I bomb this.

To answer your question Thorne, it entirely depends on the course. The IS track projects are of course much more hands on, the Policy specific courses are more business/public policy focused.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 4 users Like jsd's post:
  • ARhead, Merlin, MrBossmanJr, Pikachu
So, what do you think about the program so far?

I applied for the MS in Analytics online program in Fall 2021.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
I think you'll likely enjoy the OMSA more than I've enjoyed the OMS CySec Policy track so far. It's certainly not something I regret, but the program is very immature still and needs a lot of ramping up. All of the irrelevant classes I took need to be stripped out and replaced.

I think those in the OMSCS program are better off as well, or even the OMS CySec IS Track, since that track is basically just a rebunding of some of relevant OMSCS courses with a few other actually relevant CySec courses tacked on in addition.

In another year I'd probably recommend the policy track, but it's not quite ripe yet.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, Pikachu
While the term doesn't officially end until 5/8, I just received the final grade of my last project for the whole program.

I somehow pulled off a 4.0 for the whole degree, and my Masters in Cybersecurity (Policy) is (unofficially) complete!

Kind of amazing that this repeated college dropout who didn't take any schooling seriously until just a few years ago, decades after someone my age should have been well past all of that, has been able to pull this off... but here I am. Maybe I'll make a larger post once it's all official and conferred, but I can't tell everyone here how grateful I am I found this place. From when I first poked my head in and decided to go to Patten U, gave up on that mess and finished up my first Bacherlors at TESU, decided "why not" and got a second one at WGU, then kept the ball rolling to a Masters at a top 10 public university in the country, the encouragement and support, on top of the insane wealth of knowledge here made the experience so rewarding.

Thanks everyone!

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 14 users Like jsd's post:
  • 9yeire, allvia, dfrecore, Flelm, jch, Life_One, MNomadic, MrBossmanJr, Novo, Pikachu, quigongene, rachel83az, TexasTink, Thorne
Awesome, congrats on the 4.0 average!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
CONGRATULATIONS!
Congratulations

Sent from my phone using DegreeForum.net mobile app
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

Wow, time flies, I was looking at the date and I thought you started this journey recently! Congrats! A job well done! This is one of many inspiring stories of persistence and study-work-acumen. Oh how much I love reading these type of posts, it's helpful to know anyone from a Big 3 or CBE program can try their best and may get into a Top Ranked school! Thanks for the updated post!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,361 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,714 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,277 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,412 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Master of Public Administration and MBA, University of North Georgia JPN 6 946 03-15-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,176 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,258 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,809 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,818 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive