Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
I would say that is an over estimate in my experience. SOME weeks there are projects that will need a lot of time, but some weeks are light.

It will really depend on your background, your track, and how motivated you are.
In Progress: MS Cybersecurity, Georgia Tech (27/32cr), 2021
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015

View all of my earned credits on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-21-2020, 01:12 PM)jsd Wrote: I would say that is an over estimate in my experience. SOME weeks there are projects that will need a lot of time, but some weeks are light.

It will really depend on your background, your track, and how motivated you are.

Are the projects from a business or technical perspective?

I.e., the difference between an Enterprise Information Security Policy and a task where you hack a website on contract
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, In Progress
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, In Progress
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, In Progress
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, In Progress

BS Information Technology, Security Emphasis, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Information Systems Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
AAS Computer Networking, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017

Certifications: A+, Linux+, Project+, Google IT Support Professional, 3CX Intermediate, CCNA, CCNA Security

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Just coming back around here for another update. I haven't poked around the forum in a good while. Looks like a dumpster fire of changes from ACE transcripts to TESU no longer being Big 3. Ouch.

This term I finished out PUBP 6502 Information and Communications Technology Policy  and  INTA 6742 Modeling, Simulation and Military Gaming. Ended with an A in both, keeping that 4.0 alive heading into my final term in the spring (where I'll inevitably blow it  Tongue ).

The Policy course was really what you make of it. Good professor and lots of great information from a historical perspective and how it shapes the modern landscape. But you could also do very little and still get by just fine in that class. If you want to learn, there's plenty to take in from the class. If you're lazy, you'll probably still be fine and just won't learn anything.

INTA 6742 Modeling, Simulation and Military Gaming was a complete waste of time. It's primarily looking at and modeling historical military battles, with no relation to modern cybersecurity/cyberwarfare threats. i thought it would at least attempt to tie in historical real world battles to where we might be headed as far as cyberwarfare, but it didn't even attempt to make that connection. This is not a cybersec course. I'm sure it's fun if you're a history or military strategy buff, but it has no business being in a Cybersec program. Almost the entirety of your grade is based on a term-long group project, so just hope you get put in with a good group. Luckily, I was with some solid peers. But it was a complete waste of time and money (thank you, employer tuition reimbursement!). I didn't really have the option to take different courses since none were ready yet for the program since this is the first run, but if you have the opportunity I would avoid this... unless you don't care about learning cybersec specific information in a cybersec program.

Now it's off to the Practicum in Jan, which is essentially a mini-thesis. It is pitched on their website still as an internship or a work project, but the people who went through it for the first time this term, and all the information the school has provided to us makes it clear that it is misrepresented. You're not working with your current employer or an internship, you're solving a research question.

I have no idea what I'll be writing about, but hopefully something comes to me. Pretty nerve-racking. I think the practicum will kill my 4.0 GPA at the school, but I'm not too worried about it. That's just a vanity thing, and I'll still end with a high GPA anyway even if I bomb this.

To answer your question Thorne, it entirely depends on the course. The IS track projects are of course much more hands on, the Policy specific courses are more business/public policy focused.

[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • ARhead, Merlin, MrBossmanJr
So, what do you think about the program so far?

I applied for the MS in Analytics online program in Fall 2021.
Software Engineer Associate
Prior Electronics Radar/Navigation Technician

USC or GATech: MS in Data Science or Analytics (Awaiting Decision - Fall 2021)
Boston University: MS in Software Development - GPA: 3.80

Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies GPA: 4.00 | AS in Natural Science and Mathematics (Computer Science, Mathematics) | Certificate in Electronics
Excelsior College: AAS in Technical Studies (Electronic/Instrumentation Technologies) - High Honors GPA: 3.79
Community College: AAS in Applied Science and Engineering Technology - Highest Honors GPA: 3.91 | AAS in Technical Studies (Computer Technology)

Epsilon Pi Tau International Honor Society Golden Key International Honor Society | Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
I think you'll likely enjoy the OMSA more than I've enjoyed the OMS CySec Policy track so far. It's certainly not something I regret, but the program is very immature still and needs a lot of ramping up. All of the irrelevant classes I took need to be stripped out and replaced.

I think those in the OMSCS program are better off as well, or even the OMS CySec IS Track, since that track is basically just a rebunding of some of relevant OMSCS courses with a few other actually relevant CySec courses tacked on in addition.

In another year I'd probably recommend the policy track, but it's not quite ripe yet.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • MrBossmanJr

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCEPTED INTO MBA PROGRAM!! FMitchell5036 41 2,140 01-13-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: LongRoad
  ACCEPTED University of Alaska Fairbanks MBA Zachcleigh 8 896 12-15-2020, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Information Technology vs cybersecurity Imbanewbie 2 299 10-07-2020, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Georgia Southwestern MBA & MSCS $257/grad credit bjcheung77 4 811 09-14-2020, 07:58 PM
Last Post: AZDan
  WGU vs NAU for Masters (Cybersecurity) spoilt999 10 816 07-16-2020, 06:30 AM
Last Post: ajs1976a
  WGU Cybersecurity Scholarship. ChilliDawg 3 630 12-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  TESU - New Master’s Degree in Cybersecurity jsd 11 1,394 10-18-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: jsd
  ACCEPTED into Missouri State university MBA Cyber Security Imbanewbie 21 1,992 07-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Accepted - University of Oklahoma - MS in Finance Online ThatBankDude 7 975 05-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  Got accepted in upenn online mcit with my tesu bachelor posabsolute 15 11,482 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM
Last Post: posabsolute