Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACE credit for possible military enlistment?
(05-23-2020, 03:05 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 02:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 01:40 PM)natshar Wrote: You could always just enroll at TESU and take a single TECEP just to get all the ACE college credit on a RA transcript. But even if he is close to an associate's degree no need to actually earn it yet.

As a result, he'd be enrolled at TESU for a year. And while in the service if he chooses to could finish his associates (choose from AA, ASBA or ASNSM) while in the service instead of before enlisting. If he had enough credits a planned right would hopefully only need the two required courses and another TECEP to avoid the wavier, so it wouldn't take up much time. Super simple, super cheap, and super quick. The tuition rate for active duty is much cheaper than the civilian rate and maybe even free if the military pays for it. And don't forget active duty gets free cleps and dsst tests as well.

This would be a cheaper option than COSC.

True.  I hadn't thought of that, but he can even use TECEP's for residency while he's enlisted, so that would be an easy cheap degree (I think it comes out to be something like $2800 for an entire BA/BS!).

Yeah. He could stay on for an bachelors if he wants.
Here would be a simple plan

So for associates need 12 credits at TESU:
3 credits tecep before deployment (to get ace on Ra transcript)

Then while in Navy:
3 credit sos-110
6 credits tecep
No capstone because I forgot the associates dont have a capstone 

I believe the cost would under 2k for just the associates with military rates. But the navy might pay for it.

For bachelors add:
3 credit capstone
9 credit tecep

Since you need 24 at tesu for bachelors

And then after navy use gi bill to pay for 2nd bachelors and/or masters if he wants.

Honestly, we'd pay for it since it's so cheap.  Or if he wanted to do WGU to get the actual degree he wants like IT.

I'll have to see if he'd like a BALS or BSBA at TESU, or what he wants to do.  Who knows, he might be really motivated to get the bachelor's done if he has time after HS before he joins.  We shall see...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-23-2020, 10:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 01:40 PM)natshar Wrote: You could always just enroll at TESU and take a single TECEP just to get all the ACE college credit on a RA transcript. But even if he is close to an associate's degree no need to actually earn it yet.

As a result, he'd be enrolled at TESU for a year. And while in the service if he chooses to could finish his associates (choose from AA, ASBA or ASNSM) while in the service instead of before enlisting. If he had enough credits a planned right would hopefully only need the two required courses and another TECEP to avoid the wavier, so it wouldn't take up much time. Super simple, super cheap, and super quick. The tuition rate for active duty is much cheaper than the civilian rate and maybe even free if the military pays for it. And don't forget active duty gets free cleps and dsst tests as well.

True.  I hadn't thought of that, but he can even use TECEP's for residency while he's enlisted, so that would be an easy cheap degree (I think it comes out to be something like $2800 for an entire BA/BS!).

Then while in Navy:
3 credit sos-110
6 credits tecep

I believe the cost would under 2k for just the associates with military rates. But the navy might pay for it.

For bachelors add:
3 credit capstone
9 credit tecep

And then after navy use gi bill to pay for 2nd bachelors and/or masters if he wants.

Honestly, we'd pay for it since it's so cheap.  Or if he wanted to do WGU to get the actual degree he wants like IT.

I'll have to see if he'd like a BALS or BSBA at TESU, or what he wants to do.  Who knows, he might be really motivated to get the bachelor's done if he has time after HS before he joins.  We shall see...

With all the changes TESU is/has been making, WGU woudl be cheaper and he would get the actual degree he wants. By the time your son is ready to graduate TESUs fees will probably be through the roof.

But if you simply want ace on a transcript and don't care about getting a degree, then TESU and taking a single tecep would be the best way to go.
(05-23-2020, 11:22 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 10:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Then while in Navy:
3 credit sos-110
6 credits tecep

For bachelors add:
3 credit capstone
9 credit tecep

With all the changes TESU is/has been making, WGU woudl be cheaper and he would get the actual degree he wants. By the time your son is ready to graduate TESUs fees will probably be through the roof.

But if you simply want ace on a transcript and don't care about getting a degree, then TESU and taking a single tecep would be the best way to go.

If he does all of the things he needs prior to enlisting, and then can finish the capstone when he gets in, with the military discount and TECEP residency, he'll just have to take the cornerstone and capstone for $750 each and will be done.  So for military only, TESU is a steal!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Do not let your son enlist. Have him blast through his associates using Straighterline, etc. alternative credit, save a year that way, go to an in state 4 year and finish his bachelors while doing ROTC. The quality of life difference between enlisted and officer is immense. If I could go back and change things I would have sucked it up and gone to college first before enlisting. My medical retirement would be a lot cushier.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,930 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  Converting Dive training to Colleges credit vetvso 9 1,689 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,881 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,535 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,309 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,775 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,875 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,925 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,258 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,359 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore