Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACE credit for possible military enlistment?
(05-15-2020, 12:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Thanks for the tips.  I do know some non-recruiters, so maybe I'll try to talk to them.  That's helpful to know.

As for his job, I'm not sure he knows yet - he's only 16, so we will have to research that.  I don't think he wants to do subs, or nuclear, so that's probably out.  But we're doing the ASVAB for fun (thanks public library for the free online exams), and then we will probably do a lot more research over the next 2 years.  He is interested in IT, but if they don't have that as a job in the Navy, he can always wait until after he gets out to go into the field.

Make sure you look up the ASVAB requirements for any jobs he may consider in the future. I believe you can take the ASVAB many times (with a waiting period between each before you enlist), but only once after you enlist. We had some guys try and go warrant officer, but their GT score was too low. They only had one chance to retake once they were already in. Also, the scores are good for 2 years.

I used TESU credit banking from ACE for credits back when I was in and that was fine. 

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/asvab-...bs-4053983
TESU Degrees
BSAT: Military Technology and Leadership In Progress 
AAS: Military Technology and Leadership 3/2017

SL:  Information Technology Fundamentals  
Sophia: Developing Effective TeamsIntroduction to EthicsIntroduction to SociologyProject ManagementThe Essentials of Managing Conflict 
ALEKS: College AlgebraIntermediate AlgebraIntroduction to StatisticsPreCalculusTrigonometry
Course Review: Easy Medium Hard
(05-15-2020, 12:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Thanks for the tips. I do know some non-recruiters, so maybe I'll try to talk to them. That's helpful to know.

As for his job, I'm not sure he knows yet - he's only 16, so we will have to research that. I don't think he wants to do subs, or nuclear, so that's probably out. But we're doing the ASVAB for fun (thanks public library for the free online exams), and then we will probably do a lot more research over the next 2 years. He is interested in IT, but if they don't have that as a job in the Navy, he can always wait until after he gets out to go into the field.
The Navy has IT. Like someone else said look at the different scores on what is needed for the rate he wants. The A school is pretty interesting and especially if he has a passion for it.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(05-14-2020, 11:57 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Hi all,

My teenage son is considering his options, and one of them is enlisting right after high school.  He's thinking Navy, and I know that they give you a higher rank for having a certain amount of college credit.

Can anyone tell me if ACE credit counts, including CLEP?  And if they will take it off an ACE transcript, or does it have to be on a college transcript?  And if so, what would you suggest as the easiest way to do this?

Thanks for your help - I'm in new territory here and don't want to screw this up.
I can speak to this with firsthand experience. I joined the Air Force two months after high school graduation and I entered as an E-3 thanks to having 45 college credits (45 was the minimum to get E-3, and I had exactly 45). What everyone else is saying about getting the ACE/CLEP/AP/whatever test on a college transcript is absolutely correct. I passed 6 AP tests in high school, took three CLEP tests (college math, college algebra, and marketing) shortly after graduating, and the remaining 18ish credits I earned from taking short summer classes at my local community college during the two months after HS graduation before leaving for Basic training. Pursuing this goal made my senior year of high school and following summer pretty challenging, but it really paid off and I don't regret it at all.

Find a community college that will accept the credits AND put the credits on the transcript (just like a class) so that the transcript's "total credits" count is whatever number your son needs. I wish someone would have walked me through this back when I was first enlisting- I didn't know if I was going to be granted E-3 rank until the day I left for basic training. Made for an exciting adventure, though.

If you need more help lmk
[-] The following 1 user Likes trent_s's post:
  • dfrecore
I'm presently active duty in the Navy with15 years enlisted. I've been in multiple rates (jobs) and communities. There's alot of pros and cons. If you've got questions I'll do my best to give you an honest review.
(05-14-2020, 12:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If we can do CLEP/ACE, then we will probably do the Pierpont BOG AAS degree for ease and price.

Except they say: "This degree program is open to any student who has graduated from high school two or more years prior; students who earned GEDs are welcome to enroll if their assigned graduating class has been out of high school two years or more."
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
My information is three decades, but, for what it is worth, here it is. The economy was tanking when I enlisted. I'd go from one military branch's recruiting office to another to see what they had to offer. (How many number of years did I have to serve? What bonuses were being offered? Etc.) When I walked into the Air Force recruiting station, the guy (sorry, don't recall the rank) was slumping behind his desk giving off a "Go away, loser" vibe. I asked a few questions. When he discovered my ASVAB score... Well, if you can sit at attention, he did.

Back then, recruits were broken into three levels. Level 1 was the highest, I believe. Because of my ASVAB score, I was a 1. (Do not ask me how I scored so high on the ASVAB because there were loads of questions on things like electricity, but my score was high. I mean HIGH. I also had some college. About 30 credits, I think.) My recollection is that recruiters have to get a certain percentage of recruits who meet each level. Needless to say, Level 1s are rarer. The Army offered me the best package, so I went with them. My recollection is fuzzy, but I think I had a contract with a specific MOS. When I went to some big center in town, they moved me from one person to another trying to get me to change my MOS. I said, "Thanks, but no thanks." and walked out of the building. Some guy (again, don't recall the rank) CAME RUNNING OUT OF THE BUILDING AFTER ME. They added a slot to one of the training cycles for my MOS, and I entered the Army some months later.

I was an E-3. Unless things have changed, you have to have a minimum time in grade before going to the next grade, E4. I became an E-4 as soon as it could be done. Another little quirk if you're son is looking for advancement. Choose the right MOS. There are some MOS's that you can have perfect PT scores, MOS test scores, evals, etc., and you just ain't gonna get a promotion. Too many folks ahead of you in the pipeline.

Good luck. Oh, and as has been alluded to, today's information may change tomorrow. Finally, encourage your son not to sign ANYTHING without having read and understood the document. (I wouldn't even sign for lunch without reading the document at the place where I [officially] was given my MOS.)
[-] The following 3 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • dfrecore, Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az
(05-19-2020, 07:37 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 12:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If we can do CLEP/ACE, then we will probably do the Pierpont BOG AAS degree for ease and price.

Except they say: "This degree program is open to any student who has graduated from high school two or more years prior; students who earned GEDs are welcome to enroll if their assigned graduating class has been out of high school two years or more."

Well crud, I forgot about that.  I guess we may do COSC unless something else comes up.

(05-19-2020, 09:54 AM)LongRoad Wrote: My information is three decades, but, for what it is worth, here it is. The economy was tanking when I enlisted. I'd go from one military branch's recruiting office to another to see what they had to offer. (How many number of years did I have to serve? What bonuses were being offered? Etc.) When I walked into the Air Force recruiting station, the guy (sorry, don't recall the rank) was slumping behind his desk giving off a "Go away, loser" vibe. I asked a few questions. When he discovered my ASVAB score... Well, if you can sit at attention, he did.

Back then, recruits were broken into three levels. Level 1 was the highest, I believe. Because of my ASVAB score, I was a 1. (Do not ask me how I scored so high on the ASVAB because there were loads of questions on things like electricity, but my score was high. I mean HIGH. I also had some college. About 30 credits, I think.) My recollection is that recruiters have to get a certain percentage of recruits who meet each level. Needless to say, Level 1s are rarer. The Army offered me the best package, so I went with them. My recollection is fuzzy, but I think I had a contract with a specific MOS. When I went to some big center in town, they moved me from one person to another trying to get me to change my MOS. I said, "Thanks, but no thanks." and walked out of the building. Some guy (again, don't recall the rank) CAME RUNNING OUT OF THE BUILDING AFTER ME. They added a slot to one of the training cycles for my MOS, and I entered the Army some months later.

I was an E-3. Unless things have changed, you have to have a minimum time in grade before going to the next grade, E4. I became an E-4 as soon as it could be done. Another little quirk if you're son is looking for advancement. Choose the right MOS. There are some MOS's that you can have perfect PT scores, MOS test scores, evals, etc., and you just ain't gonna get a promotion. Too many folks ahead of you in the pipeline.

Good luck. Oh, and as has been alluded to, today's information may change tomorrow. Finally, encourage your son not to sign ANYTHING without having read and understood the document. (I wouldn't even sign for lunch without reading the document at the place where I [officially] was given my MOS.)

Thanks for all the good info and advice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You could always just enroll at TESU and take a single TECEP just to get all the ACE college credit on a RA transcript. But even if he is close to an associate's degree no need to actually earn it yet.

As a result, he'd be enrolled at TESU for a year. And while in the service if he chooses to could finish his associates (choose from AA, ASBA or ASNSM) while in the service instead of before enlisting. If he had enough credits a planned right would hopefully only need the two required courses and another TECEP to avoid the wavier, so it wouldn't take up much time. Super simple, super cheap, and super quick. The tuition rate for active duty is much cheaper than the civilian rate and maybe even free if the military pays for it. And don't forget active duty gets free cleps and dsst tests as well.

This would be a cheaper option than COSC.
(05-23-2020, 01:40 PM)natshar Wrote: You could always just enroll at TESU and take a single TECEP just to get all the ACE college credit on a RA transcript. But even if he is close to an associate's degree no need to actually earn it yet.

As a result, he'd be enrolled at TESU for a year. And while in the service if he chooses to could finish his associates (choose from AA, ASBA or ASNSM) while in the service instead of before enlisting. If he had enough credits a planned right would hopefully only need the two required courses and another TECEP to avoid the wavier, so it wouldn't take up much time. Super simple, super cheap, and super quick. The tuition rate for active duty is much cheaper than the civilian rate and maybe even free if the military pays for it. And don't forget active duty gets free cleps and dsst tests as well.

True.  I hadn't thought of that, but he can even use TECEP's for residency while he's enlisted, so that would be an easy cheap degree (I think it comes out to be something like $2800 for an entire BA/BS!).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-23-2020, 02:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 01:40 PM)natshar Wrote: You could always just enroll at TESU and take a single TECEP just to get all the ACE college credit on a RA transcript. But even if he is close to an associate's degree no need to actually earn it yet.

True.  I hadn't thought of that, but he can even use TECEP's for residency while he's enlisted, so that would be an easy cheap degree (I think it comes out to be something like $2800 for an entire BA/BS!).

Yeah. He could stay on for an bachelors if he wants.
Here would be a simple plan

So for associates need 12 credits at TESU:
3 credits tecep before deployment (to get ace on Ra transcript)

Then while in Navy:
3 credit sos-110
6 credits tecep
No capstone because I forgot the associates dont have a capstone 

I believe the cost would under 2k for just the associates with military rates. But the navy might pay for it.

For bachelors add:
3 credit capstone
9 credit tecep

Since you need 24 at tesu for bachelors

And then after navy use gi bill to pay for 2nd bachelors and/or masters if he wants.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,929 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  Converting Dive training to Colleges credit vetvso 9 1,680 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,872 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,533 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,309 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,774 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,874 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,924 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,257 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore