Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACTFL / LTI courses expire today, 11/30/18
(12-07-2018, 09:42 AM)rvm Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 11:32 AM)davewill Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 08:25 AM)rvm Wrote: Bonus points for anyone who can direct me to any RA college/uni that accepts credits that are not ACE-approved or NCCRS-approved?

Perhaps I will email back and ask which institutions of higher learning she recommends.  

I think there are plenty of examples. CLEP, DSST, and AP tests don't depend on ACE or NCCRS. The Big3 accept a number of various certifications that don't depend on ACE or NCCRS, either. I wouldn't be surprised if there are colleges that WILL continue to accept ACTFL for credit, maybe through a direct partnership. The trick is that without ACE/NCCRS, each college has to evaluate their test and many won't bother to.

I was curious so I check.  CLEP, DSST and AP are all ACE-approved options for credit.  

I do agree, there may be colleges which will accept ACTFL.  Two questions are shouting out in my mind.  If college ABC accepts them and puts them on a transcript, will TESU, COSC, ESC and WGU accept those credits?  How much will those credits cost at ABC?  Obviously, that depends on several factors.

So they are, but schools don't accept them because they are. In fact, most, if not all, schools aren't going to accept them off of an ACE transcript, but want the scores directly from the test providers. They also often have their own score requirements that aren't necessarily what ACE recommends.

No, you cannot get credit for alternative credit from one school because another school gave you credit for it. This is called "credit laundering" and it comes up in various forms here from people hoping to take alternative credit to schools that don't otherwise accept it. It doesn't work. The transcript will clearly show where the credit came from. The new school will require the original source of the credits and apply their own transfer policies.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-07-2018, 12:55 PM)davewill Wrote: No, you cannot get credit for alternative credit from one school because another school gave you credit for it. This is called "credit laundering" and it comes up in various forms here from people hoping to take alternative credit to schools that don't otherwise accept it. It doesn't work. The transcript will clearly show where the credit came from. The new school will require the original source of the credits and apply their own transfer policies.

That credit laundering thing came to mind for me as well, Dave.  I think I need to email the lady at LTI back and ask which colleges take ACTFL credits without them being ACE-approved.

(12-07-2018, 01:26 PM)rvm Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 12:55 PM)davewill Wrote: No, you cannot get credit for alternative credit from one school because another school gave you credit for it. This is called "credit laundering" and it comes up in various forms here from people hoping to take alternative credit to schools that don't otherwise accept it. It doesn't work. The transcript will clearly show where the credit came from. The new school will require the original source of the credits and apply their own transfer policies.

That credit laundering thing came to mind for me as well, Dave.  I think I need to email the lady at LTI back and ask which colleges take ACTFL credits without them being ACE-approved.

I emailed the lady at LTI to see if she will advise which colleges/unis will accept ACTFL credits - without ACTFL being ACE-approved - and how many credits will be possible.  I can't wait to hear what she has to say.

I emailed the lady at LTI to see if she will advise which colleges/unis will accept ACTFL credits - without ACTFL being ACE-approved - and how many credits will be possible.  I can't wait to hear what she has to say.

Question on something I'm not understanding.  Is LTI the same company as ACTFL?  If not, why are you going through the testing company (LTI) when ACTFL is the company that does the ACE process?  I guess I'm just not able to see why LTI is involved in this at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-07-2018, 02:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Question on something I'm not understanding.  Is LTI the same company as ACTFL?  If not, why are you going through the testing company (LTI) when ACTFL is the company that does the ACE process?  I guess I'm just not able to see why LTI is involved in this at all.

Excellent question, Dfrecore.  It is rather confusing.  This is an excerpt from their About page.  More info is found here:  https://www.languagetesting.com/lti-information

"Who We Are

Since 1992, Language Testing International (LTI), a Samsung company, has been the leader in language proficiency testing for more than 120 languages in over 60 countries. We are the exclusive licensee of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, better known as ACTFL. Founded in 1967, ACTFL is a leader in the development of proficiency-based teaching and testing, with a membership of over 12,500 language educators and administrators. ACTFL members work collaboratively to strengthen and improve the teaching of foreign languages at all educational levels. To ensure the quality and validity of our tests, LTI strictly uses certified ACTFL testers and raters.
Our accredited ACTFL language assessments are widely recognized and accepted by major corporations, academic institutions, and government agencies. The tests we offer come in all formats and include: speaking, reading, writing and listening. Each test is designed to properly determine the specific proficiency level of an individual and ultimately to provide a valid and defensible language credential."
(12-07-2018, 06:30 PM)rvm Wrote: [quote pid='275415' dateline='1544212171']
[quote pid='275399' dateline='1544207217']
dfrecore

[/quote]

Excellent question, Dfrecore.  It is rather confusing.  This is an excerpt from their About page.  More info is found here:  https://www.languagetesting.com/lti-information

"Who We Are

Since 1992, Language Testing International (LTI), a Samsung company, has been the leader in language proficiency testing for more than 120 languages in over 60 countries. We are the exclusive licensee of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, better known as ACTFL. Founded in 1967, ACTFL is a leader in the development of proficiency-based teaching and testing, with a membership of over 12,500 language educators and administrators. ACTFL members work collaboratively to strengthen and improve the teaching of foreign languages at all educational levels. To ensure the quality and validity of our tests, LTI strictly uses certified ACTFL testers and raters.
Our accredited ACTFL language assessments are widely recognized and accepted by major corporations, academic institutions, and government agencies. The tests we offer come in all formats and include: speaking, reading, writing and listening. Each test is designed to properly determine the specific proficiency level of an individual and ultimately to provide a valid and defensible language credential."
[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It isn't confusing at all.  LTI has no place in this discussion.  ACTFL is the course provider, and the only company you should be talking to.  I would stop with the whole LTI thing and move onto ACTFL - LTI couldn't do anything if they wanted to.  Jennifer has a thread about this dealing directly with ACTFL that you should follow.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-08-2018, 06:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: -----------------------------------------------------
It isn't confusing at all.  LTI has no place in this discussion.  ACTFL is the course provider, and the only company you should be talking to.  I would stop with the whole LTI thing and move onto ACTFL - LTI couldn't do anything if they wanted to.  Jennifer has a thread about this dealing directly with ACTFL that you should follow.

Dfrecore, you have the benefit of having the advanced knowledge of Jennifer's post on this - a post which I am still in search of.  (I did an advanced Google search on this and still cannot seem to find it.  Feel free to share a link, if you wish.)  It may not seem confusing to you, however, it is confusing to me.  Until you made note that LTI and ACTFL are 2 separate companies, I did not realize that as a possibility.  I assumed they were one company "Doing Business As" 2 entities, yet working together.  If they are 2 separate companies, why would they tell me they are discontinuing their affiliation with ACE.  Technically, LTI has  - nor had - an affiliation with ACE.  It's ACTFL that is affiliated with ACE ... or was affiliated with ACE.  

If ACTFL is a separate company, then why didn't someone at LTI explain that?  I spoke with 3 different people there.  

These are hypothetical questions but I hope you can see my confusion about the big picture.

After reading your post, I did a Google search on the ACTFL company and have found both LTI and ACTFL have the same physical address in Virginia.  

1001 N. Fairfax Street
   Suite 200
   Alexandria, VA 22314

Without some additional clarification, they look like the same company to me.

Edited to remove multiple entries of my post. Thanks.
I didn't copy the above post 3 times or hit enter 3 times so I'm not sure how that happened.  
Thanks!
(12-10-2018, 05:40 PM)rvm Wrote: I didn't copy the above post 3 times or hit enter 3 times so I'm not sure how that happened.  
Thanks!

You should be able to edit it down.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-10-2018, 05:56 PM)davewill Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 05:40 PM)rvm Wrote: I didn't copy the above post 3 times or hit enter 3 times so I'm not sure how that happened.  
Thanks!

You should be able to edit it down.

Thank you Dave!  I should have thought of that.   Cool
(12-10-2018, 04:03 PM)rvm Wrote: Dfrecore, you have the benefit of having the advanced knowledge of Jennifer's post on this - a post which I am still in search of.  (I did an advanced Google search on this and still cannot seem to find it.  Feel free to share a link, if you wish.)  It may not seem confusing to you, however, it is confusing to me.  Until you made note that LTI and ACTFL are 2 separate companies, I did not realize that as a possibility.  I assumed they were one company "Doing Business As" 2 entities, yet working together.  If they are 2 separate companies, why would they tell me they are discontinuing their affiliation with ACE.  Technically, LTI has  - nor had - an affiliation with ACE.  It's ACTFL that is affiliated with ACE ... or was affiliated with ACE.  

If ACTFL is a separate company, then why didn't someone at LTI explain that?  I spoke with 3 different people there.  

These are hypothetical questions but I hope you can see my confusion about the big picture.

After reading your post, I did a Google search on the ACTFL company and have found both LTI and ACTFL have the same physical address in Virginia.  

1001 N. Fairfax Street
   Suite 200
   Alexandria, VA 22314

Without some additional clarification, they look like the same company to me.

Edited to remove multiple entries of my post.  Thanks.

I was going strictly by what you posted.  They may be the same company, they may be 2 separate companies with one owning the other, they may be 2 companies owned by a 3rd - it's hard to tell by what's going on.  But mostly, it seems like the LTI branch is the wrong company to deal with here.

Here's the other thread, it wasn't by Jennifer, it was by someone else, Jennifer was the last person I saw posting on it - my apologies.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ight=actfl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,771 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,765 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 733 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 570 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 677 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 298 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,253 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 576 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn