Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF cuts proctored exams for DL classes, and more
So this just came down. AF had to cut 35% of personnel from base eduction offices worldwide. This forced a review of what is actually a core task of the base ed office. One of the non-core functions that got chopped was proctoring exams for civilian distance learning courses. If your base has a National Testing Center operated by a civilian organization it may be able to provide proctoring -- that is what my base's NTC stated just now, but she will double-check to make sure. But I wanted to pass this along since we all know how efficiently this info travels through official channels to reach everyone (or not). Edit: Response from NTC is there are discussions of charging $20 or so per test for proctoring.

Note: Just because a function is "non-core" does not necessarily mean that benefit is being eliminated, only that the base education office is no longer staffed and funded to support it. So for example, Troops to Teachers is not going away as a program, but rather you will be redirected to the appropriate state agency for support. There is an attachment detailing impacts and workarounds (if possible) for each non-core item that is cut. I'm not comfortable posting an entire document since I can't find it anywhere else using Google, but if you have a specific question on a specific program listed below ask away and I'll see if I can find the answer. I am not on here every day, so please be patient, but I'll try to answer you if I can.

Quote:The key point is that education centers will no longer perform all the
tasks/programs previously possible with larger staffs. Instead, the
emphasis is now on providing core essential programs and eliminating those
that have no direct value added to those core functions.

The core functions are:

-Counseling/Advising (Academic, CCAF, MilTA)

-Testing (academic and PME only)

-Program Management (Approving MilTA (will be centralized at a later date),
MOUs, Needs Assessments, Enlisted Education Level Updates, Customer Service,
Non-Personal Services Contracts, and Budget (Non-MilTA))

Non Core functions are:

-Troops to Teachers

-Spouse tuition programs

-Education Deferments/Leaves of Absence

-Education Grants, Loans, etc

-Voluntary Education Plans

-CCAF Graduation Ceremonies

-Commissioning Program

-VA Counseling

-Outreach

-PME Enrollments

-Distance learning proctored exams

-Base Education Planning and Advisory Committee

-PME Seminars

-Civilian Tuition Assistance

-Third Party Review OPR

A few pre-emptive answers:

* CCAF Graduation: There will still be a ceremony (AFI calls for an "appropriate" ceremony but doesn't specify what that means). This can be at a commander's call, or the Chief's Group can sponsor a formal ceremony. Base Ed Office will no longer coordinate and fund it.

* Commissiniong: Military will no longer receive counseling and package reviews for commissioning packages. It is pretty blunt: The package guidelines are online, and you will have to use the same online resources civilians use to prepare your package.

* Spouse TA: Transitions to Family Support and possibly the MAJCOM.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I hate to appear stupid but what is a Majcom
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
frankiebleyes Wrote:I hate to appear stupid but what is a Majcom

A Majcom is the Air Force equivalent of an Army Command. From lowest to highest it goes: Element, Flight, Squadron, Group, Wing, MAJCOM, etc.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:A Majcom is the Air Force equivalent of an Army Command. From lowest to highest it goes: Element, Flight, Squadron, Group, Wing, MAJCOM, etc.

MAJCOM is short for "Major Command". Some AF MAJCOMS are Air Training and Education Command, Air Mobility Command, Air Force Reserve Command, Air Combat Command, Space Command, Air Force Special Operations Command, etc.
My ed center is currently still couseling on commission packages. If you read the BOT and AF Form 56 a BESO counselor still has to check the package and verify contents along with their signatures. I asked about this and they told me they have no idea about that and nothing is definite.
06-20-2011 DSST Astronomy - 61
06-28-2011 CLEP Humanities - 62
07-07-2011 DSST Principles of Statistics - 427
07-11-2011 DSST Intro to World Religion - 464
07-18-2011 DSST Prin. of Public Speaking - 62
08-04-2011 DSST Environment and Humanity - 62
08-16-2011 CLEP Social Sciences and History - 65

AAS Aviation Maintenance Technology - Community College of the Air Force (August 2011)
AAS Education and Training Management - Community College of the Air Force (October 2014)
BS Workforce Education and Development - Southern Illinois University Carbondale(October 2011)
MA Information Technology Management - Webster University (May 2013)
MA Master of Human Resources Management - Webster University (May 2014)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brandman...Earn your Master's in only 7 classes. blaqberry 21 12,589 10-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Free Challenge Exams? Marcus Aurelius 4 2,959 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rach03
  CLEP/DSST Exams jchef15 1 3,270 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dcan
  How many Classes is it safe to take a year while on active duty? EazyE 14 7,824 06-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Passing NUC495 and other upper level classes without taking 100/200 level classes Randy8876 0 1,567 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Randy8876
  Are SPēD certificates worth anything? What about their ACE-approved classes? OfficerA 2 1,563 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,622 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  FEMA Independent Study online classes for military service with GED kbk1061 18 3,255 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  TESC December Graduation/Sept Classes mm1988 0 1,173 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mm1988
  Classes over $250 a credit?!? SRT12 19 4,343 03-23-2011, 02:14 AM
Last Post: MA2