Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AHS Institute
Has anyone taken any courses through the Association for Hebraic Studies Institute, or AHS Institute? I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience taking courses there.

For those unfamiliar, here's an overview. The AHS Institute, found here: AHS Institute , whose website seems to experience recurring difficulties, offers courses that can be accepted for college credit. COSC has been accepting the courses for years. EC and TESC, according to the AHS Institute site, have also accepted the courses. However, EC only recently formally announced that it will be accepting the courses for credit. That announcement can be found here: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll..._Institute

The institute offers courses pertaining to Jewish studies. Judging from the course content, these courses appear to be taught from the Orthodox Jewish perspective. The courses can be taken by correspondence, or by credit-by-exam. They range about $50-$100 per semester hour for correspondence courses, less for credit-by-exam.

Subject areas for courses include, according to the National PONSI site's evaluation of the AHS Institute, which is found here: Association for Hebraic Studies Institute , the following subjects: Judaic Studies, Jewish Thought, Religion, Near Eastern Studies, History, Ethics, Philosophy, Jewish Music, Business, Economics, and Jurisprudence.

Oh, and National PONSI also recommends nearly all of the courses for upper-level credit.

And no, I don't work for/with AHS Institute or anything. The opposite is true; I only recently heard about the organization, through the Excelsior site. I thought I'd share, in case anyone else is interested. Plus, I would really like to hear from those who have any experience with the organization and its courses, and what their perceptions were. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
WOoow, this is great information.
Does anyone know if any of these courses count as Arts and Sciences at Excelsior?
This is very interesting information...
on the same note...
I'm going to be taking an exam for 6 Social Science credits through TORAH ACCREDITATION LIAISON.

Torah Accreditation Liaison - History and Jewish Thought Proficiency Examinations
A Survey of Jewish History: The Destruction of the Second Temple
to the Establishment of the State of Israel (History 101)...
I don't work for them or anything... just figured that if you're interested in that- you'll probably be interested in this.
kayausa Wrote:This is very interesting information...
on the same note...
I'm going to be taking an exam for 6 Social Science credits through TORAH ACCREDITATION LIAISON.

Torah Accreditation Liaison - History and Jewish Thought Proficiency Examinations
I don't work for them or anything... just figured that if you're interested in that- you'll probably be interested in this.

Thank you. I'll have to take a look at them, as well. Best wishes with the exam.
Is AHS difficult to contact? I have emailed them with no response after several days. Their website seems to error out a lot. I just tried to call, but got voice mail. (Of course, it may be after sundown Friday in their timezone right now...) What has your experience been in reaching them and working with them?
mattwarner Wrote:Is AHS difficult to contact? I have emailed them with no response after several days. Their website seems to error out a lot. I just tried to call, but got voice mail. (Of course, it may be after sundown Friday in their timezone right now...) What has your experience been in reaching them and working with them?

From what I can tell, they take down their website during Shabbos and many holidays; that's not an uncommon practice among the Orthodox. It was down for about two weeks during the High Holy Days--intentionally. In fact, there was a notice on the site before Erev Rosh Hashanah announcing that the site would be taken down for that period.

When I called them, it was on a Tuesday morning, and I didn't encounter any difficulties. The man who I spoke with (I don't recall his name) was very polite and helpful, and he answered all of my questions. I wouldn't expect anyone to be there on a Friday evening or even late afternoon; you'll probably just want to try back Monday.
Do the Big 3 accept all of the listed credits by examination that are in the below link?

kayausa Wrote:This is very interesting information...
on the same note...

Sowak777 Wrote:Do the Big 3 accept all of the listed credits by examination that are in the below link?

I'm not sure about COSC or TESC.

EC accepts credits evaluated by PONSI. The details can be found here: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...arn_Credit .
This is an incredible resource!
Sowak777 Wrote:Do the Big 3 accept all of the listed credits by examination that are in the below link?

I'd confirm with the particular one of the Big 3 you are attending first, but I did find this at the AHS website:

Transfer Credit Policy
AHS courses are recognized by accredited college and universities. Each college or university has its own policies with respect to transfer credits. Most students transfer their AHS courses to Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College or Thomas Edison State College.

http://ahsinstitute.org/ecourses/

I'm really tempted by some of these courses, even though I don't need to take any of them in order to finish my BSBA. Mighty tempting...
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Verity Institute Ruddigore 12 2,167 04-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Last Post: verity-comm-english
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies GoodYellowDogs 3 670 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Transferring The Game Institute Credits to TESC bsbastudent 7 909 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Last Post: brajalle
  Game Institute bigticket 6 1,448 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  TESC and Game Institute phantasz 9 2,006 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Last Post: ryoder