Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI Being Used to Assess Job Candidates
Well, this is the creepiest technological development I've seen in a while. DeepSense, a company based in San Francisco and India, provides AI services to companies looking to hire. Their software scans applicants' social media accounts to predict personality traits. This is done with or without the applicant's knowledge. 

HireVue assesses candidates' video interviews. Their algorithm compares tone of voice, micro facial expressions, and word clusters with people previously identified as being high performers. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/artificial-...1537435820
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
As if the job process weren't bad enough. Seriously. You have to write your resume to match the keywords that are in the job posting or risk getting screened out by the HR's software. Then, some companies do a video interview, which is basically you recording yourself with questions that you get only a few minutes to answer. (I've done a couple of these and can attest to the fact that they are awful. Nothing like speaking to a computer screen and not seeing any sort of reaction or having any eye contact.)

Based on my experience and skills (and perhaps ego..) I would consider myself a top candidate in my field. And I just accepted a position at a company because I felt that I would be working with humans. My boss and his boss are amazing people and the HR process was friendly and informative. I would be that the best talent is looking for the same. The more barriers between a people and a company = more time for another company to call me and offer me a better position.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa
(09-24-2018, 08:54 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: recording yourself with questions that you get only a few minutes to answer. (I've done a couple of these and can attest to the fact that they are awful. Nothing like speaking to a computer screen and not seeing any sort of reaction or having any eye contact.)

I get bad anxiety in interviews, probably more of a social anxiety. I might do better in this situation, but I understand that for a majority of people this is probably terrible. I'm assuming the questions are still asked of you on the spot and you have no time to prepare?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-24-2018, 11:25 AM)jsd Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 08:54 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: recording yourself with questions that you get only a few minutes to answer. (I've done a couple of these and can attest to the fact that they are awful. Nothing like speaking to a computer screen and not seeing any sort of reaction or having any eye contact.)

I get bad anxiety in interviews, probably more of a social anxiety. I might do better in this situation, but I understand that for a majority of people this is probably terrible. I'm assuming the questions are still asked of you on the spot and you have no time to prepare?

To give you some background, I am in sales and do public speaking all of the time, from one-on-one presentations to speaking engagements of almost 1000 people.   I am NOT afraid of interviews and am paid to talk for a living, but these things terrify me.

You are put in a digital "room" where you hit a button stating you are ready to go.   Then, the question pops up and you're on!  Start to answer.   You have x number of minutes and answer correctly or forever hold your peace.     Well, that's only partly true... the first one of these I did, did not provide the option for a retake.   However, the one I did more recently did allow a single retake, which does ease the nerves considerably.

For someone like me who is used to public speaking, I actively engage my audience and I respond to their feedback.  If I see that something I say isn't interesting, I can tell by the look in their eyes and I adjust accordingly.   This sort of thing feels like you're talking to thin air, not to mention the question of how long do you talk?    I can answer a question in a couple of sentences, but maybe they've allotted 5 minutes for that question.  Should I ramble on or just shut up and move on?  Alternately, maybe they gave me a minute for a lengthy response and I have to manage my reply while seeing the time bar quickly go down.   

I don't want to scare you or anyone else.   The pre-recorded interview does not suit my particular style, but it might work well for someone who doesn't do well with social cues.   It could make you less nervous if you aren't used to realizing when the listener isn't interested and don't know how to change subjects accordingly.   I think of my 18 year old step-daughter.   She's mildly autistic (used to call it Asperger's) and has no clue how to read people.   This might work for her.    Not having someone there would probably make her feel less pressured and her lack of eye contact wouldn't hurt since many people don't know how to look into a camera very well.   

Anyway.. just my 2 cents.   I will say that the most recent video interview, I ended up getting the job, so I must have gotten better from the first time I did it.    Ha ha if I had to do one again, my best advice to myself would be to take a drink or an anti-anxiety med first.

Would love to hear if others have had experiences with that...  wonder if I'm the only one who got freaked out.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • jsd
(09-24-2018, 11:25 AM)jsd Wrote: I'm assuming the questions are still asked of you on the spot and you have no time to prepare?

I had to take a video interview to get my current position. It asked the question, then gave a minute to get your thoughts together (which made me more anxious b/c there was a countdown timer). The interesting part was the retake. There was no timer on the retake, so you could take 5 minutes and think about your answer. This might be considered cheating to some, I guess, but I saw nothing saying I couldn't do this, and they hired me.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • burbuja0512, jsd
I had to do video-based scenarios when I applied to a police department. They showed you a situation, and you were given some time to formulate a response. I can't remember how many seconds, but you could go to the computer and ask for more time. Then, you talked at the screen as a camera recorded you. It was very awkward. I failed the first time, but passed the second time. The key was pretending that they were real people responding back to you. You had to keep a conversation going for a little while even though you're talking to a screen.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • burbuja0512
Oddly enough, I don't mind public speaking or presentations or anything like that. I can "turn on" enough charisma to do a decent enough job and sort of enjoy it. But for some reason I completely shut down in interviews. I'm coached interview skills and best practices to those under me, and have seen so many of these folks have success with it. I just can't practice what I preach.

Anyway, thanks for the detail! I am not surprised at all to see other folks chiming in who agree with you that these are terrible. For me personally it still seems slightly better than a traditional interview, but I definitely understand why that is not a popular opinion!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • burbuja0512
(09-24-2018, 08:54 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: As if the job process weren't bad enough. Seriously. You have to write your resume to match the keywords that are in the job posting or risk getting screened out by the HR's software. Then, some companies do a video interview, which is basically you recording yourself with questions that you get only a few minutes to answer. (I've done a couple of these and can attest to the fact that they are awful. Nothing like speaking to a computer screen and not seeing any sort of reaction or having any eye contact.)

Based on my experience and skills (and perhaps ego..) I would consider myself a top candidate in my field. And I just accepted a position at a company because I felt that I would be working with humans. My boss and his boss are amazing people and the HR process was friendly and informative. I would be that the best talent is looking for the same. The more barriers between a people and a company = more time for another company to call me and offer me a better position.

yes! That's the right attitude.