Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS Statistics YouTube help
I started watching a Math teacher named John Wood on YouTube tonight and his videos are fantastic. I had seen his name posted on this site a couple of times and ALEKS' explanations weren't getting me very far. The videos are short and sweet but the real help comes from him actually opening ALEKS on his screen and going through problems from each and every piece of the pie. He also shows tricks with the ALEKS calculator that I had no idea about. He gives all of the formulas needed and explains how to figure out what goes where in each formula. Just search for his channel and/or subscribe and you can search each topic of each section of the pie on his channel. Watching these videos has been much more helpful than clicking "Explain" on each question and trying to write down my own notes without a tutor. He also shows his notes for key terms and what not. It is really like being in his class and learning from him. I also tried Kahn Academy but this guy has been more helpful for me so far. Up to 32%! Many nights of work and note-taking ahead of me banghead
You're missing a course in between, I took both Precalculus and Trigonometry before I went for Statistics.
You can take either/or, for credit, it'll be easier than Statistics as the "way of calculation" is different.
Statistics isn't all that hard once you get the hang of it, it took me almost 50 hours for that one course!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I plan to take Precalc once I finish Statistics. It won't fit into my degree plan but assuming I finish statistics with time left before my month is up, I'd still like to have it on my transcript just in case. I know it's not really the order to do it but I wanted to make sure I finished the courses for my plan before the month is up. With the algebra's I knew they wouldn't take me long, but the stats I have no idea how much time I will need. I've never done anything like this course so it's very new for me so far.
61%! Only 10 more topics needed for 70%! I think my brain is melting though. Also, I just had my shortest assessment in ALEKS yet. I only needed to do 6 problems and 2 of them covered the same topic. I completed 20 topics since my last assessment so I thought it was weird to only ask questions from 5 of the 20. I am 120% sure I got every one right so I guess if you get them all right they don't make you keep going? Usually I've had at least 15 problems from the work I had completed since my last assessment plus a few ahead that I hadn't covered yet. I couldn't believe when the screen said that I had completed my assessment. Has anyone else ever had such a short assessment? I wish they were all that short.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLvOTk8...uery=aleks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLvOTk8...statistics
ndelcollo Wrote:61%! Only 10 more topics needed for 70%! I think my brain is melting though. Also, I just had my shortest assessment in ALEKS yet. I only needed to do 6 problems and 2 of them covered the same topic. I completed 20 topics since my last assessment so I thought it was weird to only ask questions from 5 of the 20. I am 120% sure I got every one right so I guess if you get them all right they don't make you keep going? Usually I've had at least 15 problems from the work I had completed since my last assessment plus a few ahead that I hadn't covered yet. I couldn't believe when the screen said that I had completed my assessment. Has anyone else ever had such a short assessment? I wish they were all that short.

You're on fire! And burning up the ALEKS charts... :coolgleam: Yes, it's happened before, I've had assessments that lasted for a few questions and I was done.
Not too sure why though. Anyways, it took me a while, like 50 hours or so to finish that one Stats course and it seems you're done in less than half that time...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
ndelcollo Wrote:I started watching a Math teacher named John Wood on YouTube tonight and his videos are fantastic. I had seen his name posted on this site a couple of times and ALEKS' explanations weren't getting me very far. The videos are short and sweet but the real help comes from him actually opening ALEKS on his screen and going through problems from each and every piece of the pie. He also shows tricks with the ALEKS calculator that I had no idea about. He gives all of the formulas needed and explains how to figure out what goes where in each formula. Just search for his channel and/or subscribe and you can search each topic of each section of the pie on his channel. Watching these videos has been much more helpful than clicking "Explain" on each question and trying to write down my own notes without a tutor. He also shows his notes for key terms and what not. It is really like being in his class and learning from him. I also tried Kahn Academy but this guy has been more helpful for me so far. Up to 32%! Many nights of work and note-taking ahead of me banghead

Great find! I would have loved some ALEKS videos, I might not have bailed on ALEKS. I stopped around 50ish% Khan is what did the trick for me, in the end, was able to pass the DSST (which is a different goal than getting through ALEKS, which I don't think Khan would have helped with). Learning to use my calculator for the DSST was also a big breakthrough- things I did long hand were just 1 button solutions! It was pretty awesome!

PS I've never taken Algebra, so if you're already PAST Algebra, you will have no trouble handling the math in stats/prob.
There is not a doubt in my mind I would have given up on this course without the videos. ALEKS gives crazy amounts of notes for each problem. I was showing my wife last night how one question had 6 pages of ALEKS notes to be printed. John Wood went through a very similar problem and I wrote down 4 lines of notes and a formula. His way worked every time. I really like ALEKS overall but they are pretty long-winded in their explanations. I definitely recommend finding some other sort of help whether it's YouTube or Kahn or whatever. It's crazy to see all these notes from ALEKS and then to realize after watching a video that the answer is right at your fingertips with the ALEKS calculator provided if you just know what to input. You can completely avoid all the long hand and formulas ALEKS provides.
The ONLY bad thing I've found about using John Wood's videos is that they are a couple of years old. The problem is that ALEKS has added 35 new topics since then. I have 116 topics on my pie while Wood's videos show only 81 topics on his pie. He is missing videos for the new topics which I've been trying to avoid but it looks like I will have to complete some topics without his help to get to the 81 needed for 70%. He's gotten me to 64% so far so I guess I can't complain!
ndelcollo Wrote:61%! Only 10 more topics needed for 70%! I think my brain is melting though. Also, I just had my shortest assessment in ALEKS yet. I only needed to do 6 problems and 2 of them covered the same topic. I completed 20 topics since my last assessment so I thought it was weird to only ask questions from 5 of the 20. I am 120% sure I got every one right so I guess if you get them all right they don't make you keep going? Usually I've had at least 15 problems from the work I had completed since my last assessment plus a few ahead that I hadn't covered yet. I couldn't believe when the screen said that I had completed my assessment. Has anyone else ever had such a short assessment? I wish they were all that short.

Might I suggest after you complete your aleks statistics course you pivot over to saylors and complete their statistics exam/course. TESU transcribes it as OPM-351 (or at least they did last I heard) which will count as UL management credit in the general management area of study. It's cheap, fast credit, and is a great complement to the aleks intro to stats course.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Statistics RA credit available anywhere? echo64 7 805 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online Learning Statistics Alpha 0 520 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 1,006 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 0 562 11-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,052 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,431 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 7 2,698 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,408 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
Question Straighterline Business Statistics Tips Bunii 3 2,743 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Bunii
  College Math CLEP vs. Statistics DSST if not strong in math... S.Tesla 6 1,864 05-23-2019, 06:04 PM