Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS is painful..
(09-06-2019, 08:54 PM)quigongene Wrote: Based on this:
https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/ace_credit

You'll get a total of 9 credits, as both Trig and College Algebra overlap with PreCalc.  You'll get credit for College Algebra, Trig and Stats.

Hey quigongene!

Do you think the PreCalculus will even appear on the TESU transcript since there is no credit for it?

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea
I don't think it will appear since the recommendation states not to award credit to certain combinations. "Recommendation for this course may not be combined with College Algebra and Trigonometry or College Algebra due to the duplicative nature of the content"
Not only will it not show on a TESU transcript, if I remember correctly you won't even be able to tell TESU you took the class. As I recall, ALEKS prevents you from adding two overlapping courses to your ACE transcript.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-07-2019, 03:08 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Not only will it not show on a TESU transcript, if I remember correctly you won't even be able to tell TESU you took the class. As I recall, ALEKS prevents you from adding two overlapping courses to your ACE transcript.

Hey mysonx!

When I completed the PreCalculus course from ALEKS and sent a request for credit through the ACE website, it showed up within 15 minutes.  It's on the Approved My Courses list with the rest of my classes. 

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea
(09-07-2019, 03:41 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 03:08 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Not only will it not show on a TESU transcript, if I remember correctly you won't even be able to tell TESU you took the class. As I recall, ALEKS prevents you from adding two overlapping courses to your ACE transcript.

Hey mysonx!

When I completed the PreCalculus course from ALEKS and sent a request for credit through the ACE website, it showed up within 15 minutes.  It's on the Approved My Courses list with the rest of my classes. 

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

Glad it got added for you, and thanks for correcting my mistake!

In that case, I'm guessing it will show up on a transcript as if you took the same course twice, since Trig and Precal seem to be considered the same at TESU. But again, that's just a guess.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-07-2019, 05:15 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 03:41 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote:

Hey mysonx!

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

Glad it got added for you, and thanks for correcting my mistake!

In that case, I'm guessing it will show up on a transcript as if you took the same course twice, since Trig and Precal seem to be considered the same at TESU. But again, that's just a guess.

Hi mysonx3!

I think what I may do is contact ACE by email and ask them to remove the PreCalculus.  I think it would look odd that my transcript has that I took the same course twice.  And then possibly awarded credit for only one.  I also think my employer would look at my transcript and be a little curious as to what that's all about.  It may be better to just nip it in the bud and try to get it removed.

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea
I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall correctly you can choose which credits you want to include when ordering a ACE transcript.
(09-11-2019, 01:51 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall correctly you can choose which credits you want to include when ordering a ACE transcript.

ACE is just a complete transcript option.  SL's free direct transcript offers a choice.  I really would not worry about have duplicates; I'd only worry about what seems missing. Plus in the long run one school some day you're interested in might only take the precal as valid, and not the algebra - always best to have your transcript complete.  Many of us here have courses duplicated on our ACE transcript from when the Alternative Credit Project (APC) was active; some (non Big3) school's would take the credit if only if APC but not the (literally) same course from SL, Saylor, Sophia etc
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-11-2019, 04:15 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 01:51 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall correctly you can choose which credits you want to include when ordering a ACE transcript.

ACE is just a complete transcript option.  SL's free direct transcript offers a choice.  I really would not worry about have duplicates; I'd only worry about what seems missing. Plus in the long run one school some day you're interested in might only take the precal as valid, and not the algebra - always best to have your transcript complete.  Many of us here have courses duplicated on our ACE transcript from when the Alternative Credit Project (APC) was active; some (non Big3) school's would take the credit if only if APC but not the (literally) same course from SL, Saylor, Sophia etc

You are correct, ACE does not offer that choice.
(09-11-2019, 04:15 PM)allvia Wrote:

Hi allvia!

Sounds like a good idea.  Do you happen to remember what duplicate classes look like on the TESU transcript?  Does it give credit for one and then say no credit for the other (like someone could interpret that as failing class therefore needing to take it again)?  Or does it give credit for one and then say the other is a duplicate?  Or is it something else entirely?  I apologize in advance.. I have a touch of OCD and these things tend to worry me.

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,312 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  ALEKS GLMRGIRL717 2 618 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Still time for ALEKS credit? MDW2447 14 3,017 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: echo64
  ALEKS Badges via Acclaim Toastmaster 6 1,346 01-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kab
  How to get ALEKS badge added to Acclaim ashkir 0 1,024 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM
  ALEKS is expiring. gams007 9 1,952 11-13-2020, 07:49 PM
  ALEKS stats and Sophia Overap? Edriveless 4 1,224 05-26-2020, 04:10 PM