Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS strategy: fill up one pie slice at a time, or not?
It is better to work one pie slice to 100% and then move on? Or fill it to 70% and then move to the next slice and fill it to 70%? Or best to do a few in one slice, then pick another and raise it up a few points, etc?

I noticed that some people seem to use online math solvers to answer the problems. I actually want to learn the math, so I don't want the answers solved for me -- at least not for my "real" answers, but to explain concepts and see the steps that's OK with me.

Given that, what is the best study strategy?

EDIT Wow 3 minutes after I made this post I ran into a pie slice I can't fill completely without going into other topics. So I guess I just got my own answer.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
For me it's best to just work around the pie and do whatever seems interesting at the time. As she gets near the end my daughter finds it fun and challenging to complete some portions all the way....but just for the personal sense of satisfaction.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:For me it's best to just work around the pie and do whatever seems interesting at the time. As she gets near the end my daughter finds it fun and challenging to complete some portions all the way....but just for the personal sense of satisfaction.

Yeah, I find myself hitting "Practice" over and over even though I'm "Done" with that particular type of question, just to drill. Really, with math the only way to get better is to just do it, do it, and do it again, until you start to see the patterns automatically.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote:It is better to work one pie slice to 100% and then move on? Or fill it to 70% and then move to the next slice and fill it to 70%? Or best to do a few in one slice, then pick another and raise it up a few points, etc?
I generally pick a slice and stay with it until it doesn't give me any more questions, then move clockwise to the next one... rinse and repeat. Eventually the old slices will become available again, and I start the process over again. If you want to get to 100% (and learn the material) that is a great way to go, if you just want to hit 70% to quickly get credit, then doing 70% in each slice may be the best option, since you can get through all the easier topics faster.

dcan Wrote:I noticed that some people seem to use online math solvers to answer the problems. I actually want to learn the math, so I don't want the answers solved for me -- at least not for my "real" answers, but to explain concepts and see the steps that's OK with me.
Well many of the questions cannot be answered by those applications, particularly the word problems and most of the graphing problems. Either way, you're not supposed to use them on the assessments anyway, only on the learning and study aspect. I will occasionally use them to check my work, or if I'm confused on how to solve something. If you want to learn the material, just keep working at it until you hit 100%... that is what I do anyway. Not to mention getting to 100% gives you a real edge when you move to the next higher math.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,952 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 7,013 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Why It's Time for Legacy College Admissions to Go LevelUP 0 375 05-09-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 483 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Which college would be your choice - balancing reputation/perception - cost - time esh 6 693 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I am now taking two online college courses with the C-19 extra time at home. Life Long Learning 8 1,615 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,426 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 7 2,696 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,406 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
Question Taking two science courses @ the same time 2L8 8 3,885 05-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude