Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANY CLEP testing sites open ANYWHERE?
(10-17-2020, 04:27 PM)P226mem Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 04:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I think it was a family vacation and he took the tests as part of the vacation. The family mentioned that they went camping during this trip. it's still silly though because for $79 - which cost much less than the trip - he could have taken several more courses through Sophia. Even Study.com is significantly cheaper.

Agreeing with you that it was a family trip and tests were done as part of that. and a fun marketing spin to enjoy for modern states. However, saying this again....
While those options mentioned are cheaper compared to the trip, his college does not accept sophia or SDC ( at least according to one part that a search engine pulled up for me).   And 2 of the cleps are 300 level in his major at his specific college. He wasn't going to a Big 3 or WGU.  Taking the clep exams got him to junior year status after not having second semester sophomore due to pandemic issues.   He is back at the state university of his choice.

The article doesn't say his school doesn't accept ACE credit though. Not sure how 5 CLEP exams got someone through an entire year since a year is typically 24 or 30 credits, but whatever. No one said he was going to the Big 3 or WGU. There are many other colleges which accept ACE credit.
quote "Not sure how 5 CLEP exams got someone through an entire year since a year is typically 24 or 30 credits, but whatever"

I wondered the same thing what they meant by that. probably not the best marketing email that modern states has done.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(10-17-2020, 05:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The article doesn't say his school doesn't accept ACE credit though. Not sure how 5 CLEP exams got someone through an entire year since a year is typically 24 or 30 credits, but whatever. No one said he was going to the Big 3 or WGU. There are many other colleges which accept ACE credit.

It doesn't say that in the article because it doesn't need to. It does, however, state that he's attending University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point. Anyone who wants to can look up their credit transfer policy. It's not unusual for schools to only accept CLEP and not ACE.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-17-2020, 05:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 04:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I think it was a family vacation and he took the tests as part of the vacation. The family mentioned that they went camping during this trip. it's still silly though because for $79 - which cost much less than the trip - he could have taken several more courses through Sophia. Even Study.com is significantly cheaper.

Agreeing with you that it was a family trip and tests were done as part of that. and a fun marketing spin to enjoy for modern states. However, saying this again....
While those options mentioned are cheaper compared to the trip, his college does not accept sophia or SDC ( at least according to one part that a search engine pulled up for me).   And 2 of the cleps are 300 level in his major at his specific college. He wasn't going to a Big 3 or WGU.  Taking the clep exams got him to junior year status after not having second semester sophomore due to pandemic issues.   He is back at the state university of his choice.

The article doesn't say his school doesn't accept ACE credit though. Not sure how 5 CLEP exams got someone through an entire year since a year is typically 24 or 30 credits, but whatever. No one said he was going to the Big 3 or WGU. There are many other colleges which accept ACE credit.

Many, many, many schools take CLEP but won't take ACE or even DSST. Many. I might even say most.

Easy to get 30cr in 5 exams:
College Comp w/Essay - 6cr
French, German or Spanish Language w/high enough score - 9cr
Spanish w/Writing w/high enough score - 12cr
College Math - 6cr
Nat Sci, Bio, Chem - 6cr
SocSci & History - 6cr

So all you need are 5 6cr courses, or 1 12cr course, 2 6cr courses, and 2 3cr courses; or whatever combo you want.

Plus, some schools give more credit than is ACE-recommended.  A&I Lit, English Lit, Am Lit and Humanities exams all used to be worth 6cr, and many schools still give these exams more credit.

Etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
True in theory with those exams (in dfrecore's list) one could reach 30 credits. 

But not application to the specific article which tells us which exams this student took.   What we're saying is with the 5 specific exams he took, not sure how that added up the "full, free year of college under his belt" as stated in the article.

At his university the 5 exams were 3 credits each. He took West Civ, Sociology, Business Law (which his school counts at 300 level), Marketing (another 300 level).  And he took Info Systems, which I did not see on the clep list at his university so it may not have counted or it did under special reasons that aren't known and can only be guessed.

I think the article meant to say that he went from sophomore to junior and didn't lose a semester.  But that sentence was not given much peer review to make sure it was accurate.   But that's my opinion and wild guess.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-18-2020, 11:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 05:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Many, many, many schools take CLEP but won't take ACE or even DSST. Many. I might even say most.

Easy to get 30cr in 5 exams:
College Comp w/Essay - 6cr
French, German or Spanish Language w/high enough score - 9cr
Spanish w/Writing w/high enough score - 12cr
College Math - 6cr
Nat Sci, Bio, Chem - 6cr
SocSci & History - 6cr

So all you need are 5 6cr courses, or 1 12cr course, 2 6cr courses, and 2 3cr courses; or whatever combo you want.

Plus, some schools give more credit than is ACE-recommended.  A&I Lit, English Lit, Am Lit and Humanities exams all used to be worth 6cr, and many schools still give these exams more credit.

Etc.

Except those weren't the CLEPs he took. The article lists the ones he took.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • P226mem

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 142 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 460 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 758 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 486 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 633 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 405 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 445 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  What is Modern States? (AKA How to Take CLEP Tests for FREE) sgloer 1 1,975 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Dango375
  ACE Recommendations for several CLEP Exams expiring today jch 2 934 12-01-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: jch
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 550 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM