Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANY Degree
(12-03-2020, 05:32 PM)trlcook2 Wrote: Thank you for all the advice!
The Comm Class was the one on presentations, and the uL Psych was Advanced Social Psych-- It was the middle of the night and I kept editing my post, sorry.
The one with the Ed credits doesn't want to teach necessarily. After she took the Intro Class, she was able to do the others very easily.

I wish they were clearer in the catalogs what courses can be used in which categories and for which degrees.
Thank you, again,
Lisa

Each school has vastly different degree requirements. TESU and COSC are the easiest to plan for. Excelsior is extremely difficult. WGU is really strange (for an American school). The various competency-based degrees that some students here have been going for are just mostly unknown at this time.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-03-2020, 10:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 10:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Better to do MCA and then transfer to COSC, or even MCA and then do a final semester at Snow College.  COSC will be $1717 for 3cr; Snow will be $1743 for 1 term of 20cr.  Both take ACE; Snow does not require RA credits to be transferred in.

Snow's prices have gone up. If you're not in Utah, it's ~$6k for one term. I think if you're in the western block (CA, OR, AZ, WA, etc.) then prices are 1.5x Utah prices but that is not entirely clear.

It's still the in-state price for US students with a scholarship they offer (and I've been led to believe it's given pretty freely at this time).

(12-03-2020, 12:01 PM)TwinMom Wrote: My 14 yo twins will be getting their BS in Liberal Studies from Excelsior College.  They have already earned 66 ACE credits and will have their degree when they are 16 or 17 depending on how fast we proceed.  Excelsior allows young students to apply and everything can be transferred in except the 7 credits required to be taken at the college.  Our credits are mostly Study and Sophia so far and we will be starting Coopersmith soon. You can also have a concentration that will be listed on the transcript. From others I have spoken to, EC is very cooperative in their communication. Something to consider.

EC is 3x the price for COSC, which is a LOT of money for an AA.  EC has a capstone for all degrees including their AA's, which I think is more than you need to do.  A cornerstone is plenty, a capstone is just asking too much IMO.  $5300 for an EC AA, same exact price as a BA.  Not worth it IMO.  If you want to ladder up to the BA, you have to take another capstone. Ugh, no thank you.

But they are a great option for a BA IMO. Especially for their BALA/BSLA, so much more flexibility there, and the 2 Area of Focus' that are allowed are awesome.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-03-2020, 10:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 10:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I forgot about MCA. That's definitely a good option for HS students! It's just too bad that doesn't grant you an actual AA or AS. An Associate's degree can be a nice little certificate of achievement and boost of encouragement for students.

You can take your credits elsewhere to get an AA if you really want one.

The thing with the York Academy program is that you are stuck on their system - you really have to want to do 60cr in 4 semesters, and as a homeschooler, I would not have wanted to do my courses the way they want them.  I preferred a lot more flexibility in how I set my kids' schedules up.  You also can't bring in ACE credit as far as I can tell, so those would be wasted.

Better to do MCA and then transfer to COSC, or even MCA and then do a final semester at Snow College.  COSC will be $1717 for 3cr; Snow will be $1743 for 1 term of 20cr.  Both take ACE; Snow does not require RA credits to be transferred in.

Hello! Carrie Watkins, the Marketing Director for TEL chiming in. There are options within Micro-Collegiate Academy to do either the Associate Degree or five courses of your choosing, all at $100 per course. We basically rolled YC Academy into MCA. 

As a reminder, the grant we received that allowed us to discount the courses by 50% for the MCA program ends this summer. Any student who enrolls for the Spring or Summer term can take advantage of the $100 price point, and they have a full year to complete the course. After that, the price returns to $200 per course.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need clarification.
[-] The following 2 users Like CarrieW@TEL's post:
  • Pikachu, schlocker
(12-03-2020, 05:46 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 05:32 PM)trlcook2 Wrote: Thank you for all the advice!
The Comm Class was the one on presentations, and the uL Psych was Advanced Social Psych-- It was the middle of the night and I kept editing my post, sorry.
The one with the Ed credits doesn't want to teach necessarily. After she took the Intro Class, she was able to do the others very easily.

I wish they were clearer in the catalogs what courses can be used in which categories and for which degrees.
Thank you, again,
Lisa

Each school has vastly different degree requirements. TESU and COSC are the easiest to plan for. Excelsior is extremely difficult. WGU is really strange (for an American school). The various competency-based degrees that some students here have been going for are just mostly unknown at this time.

I'm an open book about UMPI's competency based program.
(12-08-2020, 01:10 PM)CarrieW@TEL Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 10:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I forgot about MCA. That's definitely a good option for HS students! It's just too bad that doesn't grant you an actual AA or AS. An Associate's degree can be a nice little certificate of achievement and boost of encouragement for students.

The thing with the York Academy program is that you are stuck on their system - you really have to want to do 60cr in 4 semesters, and as a homeschooler, I would not have wanted to do my courses the way they want them.  I preferred a lot more flexibility in how I set my kids' schedules up.  You also can't bring in ACE credit as far as I can tell, so those would be wasted.

Better to do MCA and then transfer to COSC, or even MCA and then do a final semester at Snow College.  COSC will be $1717 for 3cr; Snow will be $1743 for 1 term of 20cr.  Both take ACE; Snow does not require RA credits to be transferred in.

Hello! Carrie Watkins, the Marketing Director for TEL chiming in. There are options within Micro-Collegiate Academy to do either the Associate Degree or five courses of your choosing, all at $100 per course. We basically rolled YC Academy into MCA. 

As a reminder, the grant we received that allowed us to discount the courses by 50% for the MCA program ends this summer. Any student who enrolls for the Spring or Summer term can take advantage of the $100 price point, and they have a full year to complete the course. After that, the price returns to $200 per course.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need clarification.
Does MCA program transfer to Excelsior for Credit?
(12-19-2020, 03:42 PM)SkaroFamily Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 01:10 PM)CarrieW@TEL Wrote: Hello! Carrie Watkins, the Marketing Director for TEL chiming in. There are options within Micro-Collegiate Academy to do either the Associate Degree or five courses of your choosing, all at $100 per course. We basically rolled YC Academy into MCA. 

MCA is just a program - the MicroCollegiate Academy through York College.

The courses are all done through York, and transcripted by them directly.  So yes, they should transfer to just about any school.  They are RA credits.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-19-2020, 03:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 01:10 PM)CarrieW@TEL Wrote: Hello! Carrie Watkins, the Marketing Director for TEL chiming in. There are options within Micro-Collegiate Academy to do either the Associate Degree or five courses of your choosing, all at $100 per course. We basically rolled YC Academy into MCA. 

MCA is just a program - the MicroCollegiate Academy through York College.

The courses are all done through York, and transcripted by them directly.  So yes, they should transfer to just about any school.  They are RA credits.
That is correct. Once completed, you'll get a transcript from York College outlining the courses you successfully completed. Always check with the school you are transferring to for specifics, but the credit should transfer just like any credit from a regionally accredited institution.
(12-08-2020, 01:10 PM)CarrieW@TEL Wrote:

Thank you, both of my girls are enrolled in MCA and got the scholarship for 5 courses. This will also give us a little more time to plan exactly what they want to do moving forward.
This takes a good bit of pressure off finding enough RA credits. They will probably do a couple through Outlier and the Texas AM Death Investigation to get 24.
Considering we just recently started, things are really coming together thanks to this forum. 
Thanks again, Lisa
TEEX Death Investigation counts as ACE credit and NOT RA credit.

Instead of Outlier, I would recommend ASU EA. The price is about the same as Outlier but they have a wider array of courses available.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • HelenCook, Pikachu
(01-21-2021, 04:32 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TEEX Death Investigation counts as ACE credit and NOT RA credit.

Instead of Outlier, I would recommend ASU EA. The price is about the same as Outlier but they have a wider array of courses available.

There is a scholarship for Outlier right now for frontline workers, I know 3 people that have received it (from another group), so the courses are free for them.

Also, the Outlier courses are supposed to be VERY well done.  It really just depends on which courses you need - if Outlier will work for you, then take them if you're interested.  They do have things EA/ASU doesn't have (Statistics, Philosophy) and the Calculus courses is supposed to be excellent.  I have not heard that EA/ASU's Calc course is good.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • HelenCook, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 80 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 174 6 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,844 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 284 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 237 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM