Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AOTC credit and TESU residency waiver
It's certainly an interesting question. I'm leaning towards 'no' because:

1. The residency fee is not required of all students
2. Fees not specified as 'qualified' in the tax code are not included
3. Graduation fees are not specified as 'qualified' and the residency fee is essentially that

However, TESU may have received other guidance at some point.

Should I e-mail Student Finance at TESU and ask?

We might get the wrong answer that way, but this is kind of important to know. Before, people were thinking it was cheaper to take the 16 credits at TESU to avoid the residency fee in some cases.

NOW, people might be able to get a break by paying the 16 credits in tuition, but no break by paying the residency fee (if it's not included in tuition and fees). Somebody here on the forum should be able to compare their 1098-T from TESU in prior years with their billing statements to see if it was left off.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • alab21
(12-22-2020, 10:20 PM)udi Wrote: It's certainly an interesting question. I'm leaning towards 'no' because:

1. The residency fee is not required of all students
2. Fees not specified as 'qualified' in the tax code are not included
3. Graduation fees are not specified as 'qualified' and the residency fee is essentially that

However, TESU may have received other guidance at some point.

Should I e-mail Student Finance at TESU and ask?

We might get the wrong answer that way, but this is kind of important to know. Before, people were thinking it was cheaper to take the 16 credits at TESU to avoid the residency fee in some cases.

NOW, people might be able to get a break by paying the 16 credits in tuition, but no break by paying the residency fee (if it's not included in tuition and fees). Somebody here on the forum should be able to compare their 1098-T from TESU in prior years with their billing statements to see if it was left off.

If you call, let me know what you find out.

Agreed, a past 1098-T would likely answer the question.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Interesting! Apparently, people really are working at TESU despite the auto e-mails.

I did confirm with TESU that the residency waiver IS included as part of tuition and fees in box 1 and qualifies for 1098-t reporting.

Great news. I will say that I am skeptical because I have gotten a lot of information from different people at TESU that I have had to correct them on, but they are certain it's included.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
[-] The following 2 users Like udi's post:
  • harrypotter, manmanthegr8
(12-29-2020, 03:01 PM)udi Wrote: Interesting! Apparently, people really are working at TESU despite the auto e-mails.

I did confirm with TESU that the residency waiver IS included as part of tuition and fees in box 1 and qualifies for 1098-t reporting.

Great news. I will say that I am skeptical because I have gotten a lot of information from different people at TESU that I have had to correct them on, but they are certain it's included.

Thank you for checking!! Fingers crossed it’s correct, as you pointed out, they’re sometimes wrong. Confirming on a past 1098-T would definitely clear the concerns we share. This is a step in the right direction, though! Very exciting!

Got my 1098T from tesu today. has me as at least half time. residency waiver fee is included in total for box 1. Going to give the form to my tax people and let them do what they do if I'm qualified for AOTC or Lifetime Learning credit or anything else.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 2 users Like P226mem's post:
  • alab21, harrypotter
(01-21-2021, 02:02 PM)P226mem Wrote: Got my 1098T from tesu today. has me as at least half time. residency waiver fee is included in total for box 1.  Going to give the form to my tax people and let them do what they do if I'm qualified for AOTC or Lifetime Learning credit or anything else.

Great news, thanks! I was surprised to see that self-study exams for TESU also show up in box 1.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • alab21
(01-21-2021, 02:02 PM)P226mem Wrote: Got my 1098T from tesu today. has me as at least half time. residency waiver fee is included in total for box 1. Going to give the form to my tax people and let them do what they do if I'm qualified for AOTC or Lifetime Learning credit or anything else.

That’s great news! Thank you for reporting back!

Just as an update, I received my 2020 1098-T, and the residency waiver fee is included in box 1. I was less than half time student, as a matter of fact, I didn't take any classes through them that year. I just paid the residency waiver fee that year, so I did not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, but I did qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit and was able to use that residency waiver fee to qualify for it.
Thomas Edison State University:
BA in Computer Science - Currently Pursuing (114/120 Credits)
ASNSM in Computer Science - Graduated 6/5/2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes BadBradsBBQ's post:
  • harrypotter
Yeah my friend got just about half of the cost of his tesu BA refunded
BABA, New England College, 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 723 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,049 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,579 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 272 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP