Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP credits for college credits
Does anyone have any experience using Acellus Academy and/or Power Homeschool for AP credits? The AP credits should be admissible for college credit. The Acellus Academy is priced at $699/yr with their scholarship program (pretty much, anyone who applies is accepted for the lower tuition). 

I had asked the Power Homeschool if using Power Homeschool could be used for AP credits and their reply was that you have to ask the school you intend to apply the credits to whether they would accept it or not from the Power Homeschool (as opposed to Acellus Academy version that is a fully accredited school). Power Homeschool is priced around $300/yr but not a full "Academy". Its used mainly for homeschool support. 

I know of this because we use the Power Homeschool for our children who aren't yet school age, to get a head start. They like the video format. 

powerhomeschool .org
acellusacademy .com

It seems like an interesting way to try and knock out 15 (or so) courses for college (about 45 college credits), at a reasonable rate. 

I believe the workload is comparable to using other sources for credits, like study.com or similar types. 

The College Board recommends for students who don't have AP courses at their local high school, to find an alternate school for AP credits, or sit for the exam at one of the approved locations listed on their site, or you can always dual enroll for a college course at a local CC. 

What are your thoughts? 

I couldn't find the program mentioned on this site, so I'm starting a new thread. If there's a better place to post this question, please let me know. thanks
(10-14-2019, 06:34 AM)!=scholar Wrote: Does anyone have any experience using Acellus Academy and/or Power Homeschool for AP credits? The AP credits should be admissible for college credit. The Acellus Academy is priced at $699/yr with their scholarship program (pretty much, anyone who applies is accepted for the lower tuition). 

I had asked the Power Homeschool if using Power Homeschool could be used for AP credits and their reply was that you have to ask the school you intend to apply the credits to whether they would accept it or not from the Power Homeschool (as opposed to Acellus Academy version that is a fully accredited school). Power Homeschool is priced around $300/yr but not a full "Academy". Its used mainly for homeschool support. 

I know of this because we use the Power Homeschool for our children who aren't yet school age, to get a head start. They like the video format. 

powerhomeschool .org
acellusacademy .com

It seems like an interesting way to try and knock out 15 (or so) courses for college (about 45 college credits), at a reasonable rate. 

I believe the workload is comparable to using other sources for credits, like study.com or similar types. 

The College Board recommends for students who don't have AP courses at their local high school, to find an alternate school for AP credits, or sit for the exam at one of the approved locations listed on their site, or you can always dual enroll for a college course at a local CC. 

What are your thoughts? 

I couldn't find the program mentioned on this site, so I'm starting a new thread. If there's a better place to post this question, please let me know. thanks

Most of the members here are adults earning their degrees but there area few of us helping our teens through the process.  I'm familiar with the program at Power/Acellus but not the AP part. I would suggest you follow Jennifer's (megaposter here) on her FB page:  Homeschooling for college credit as well as her website and also buy her book on Amazon. I think that will help you get a good overall idea how the how thing works and what you can do for your kids.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • alab21
So, I think you may be confused about some things with AP that I'd like to clarify.

AP COURSES give you high school credit (and extra grade points for your GPA). AP EXAMS give you college credit. You can do one, or the other, or both.

If you take an AP course, no college will give you any kind of credit for it, because it's just a high school course - advanced, but not anything special in and of itself. You do get an extra grade point, so that's a bonus. If you pass an AP exam, no high school will give you credit for that. They want to know that you did the semester or year's worth of work in the subject. And, there's nothing that happens with the exam towards your grade, because the exams are taken in May and scores come out in July, after school is over.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-14-2019, 05:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I think you may be confused about some things with AP that I'd like to clarify.

AP COURSES give you high school credit (and extra grade points for your GPA).  AP EXAMS give you college credit.  You can do one, or the other, or both.

If you take an AP course, no college will give you any kind of credit for it, because it's just a high school course - advanced, but not anything special in and of itself.  You do get an extra grade point, so that's a bonus.  If you pass an AP exam, no high school will give you credit for that.  They want to know that you did the semester or year's worth of work in the subject.  And, there's nothing that happens with the exam towards your grade, because the exams are taken in May and scores come out in July, after school is over.

Ok, that makes more sense. When I wrote the post, I meant it for older adults, not teens in high school. If you use Acellus with a good book to prepare for AP exams and Modern States for the AP and/or CLEP exams, thats a sizable chunk of college credit for very little cost.

When people think of AP courses they think of high school, but there is is no age limit to taking AP exams. I'll check with TESU and see if they accept AP courses and/or exams.
(10-14-2019, 05:38 PM)!=scholar Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 05:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I think you may be confused about some things with AP that I'd like to clarify.

AP COURSES give you high school credit (and extra grade points for your GPA).  AP EXAMS give you college credit.  You can do one, or the other, or both.

If you take an AP course, no college will give you any kind of credit for it, because it's just a high school course - advanced, but not anything special in and of itself.  You do get an extra grade point, so that's a bonus.  If you pass an AP exam, no high school will give you credit for that.  They want to know that you did the semester or year's worth of work in the subject.  And, there's nothing that happens with the exam towards your grade, because the exams are taken in May and scores come out in July, after school is over.

When people think of AP courses they think of high school, but there is is no age limit to taking AP exams.

I am not sure this is true. At least where I live the only way to sign up for AP exams is through the high school itself. So there isn't an age limit exactly but when you sign up you have to get it approved through them and I doubt they would approve anyone who wasn't a high school student. I don't think they would approve any high school student either. Say a high school student is currently failing Algebra 1 and tries to sign up for the calculus exam I don't think they allow it. But I've never actually tried so who knows maybe that would be allowed and maybe there is no age limit.
(10-14-2019, 05:46 PM)natshar Wrote:

When people think of AP courses they think of high school, but there is is no age limit to taking AP exams.

I am not sure this is true. At least where I live the only way to sign up for AP exams is through the high school itself. So there isn't an age limit exactly but when you sign up you have to get it approved through them and I doubt they would approve anyone who wasn't a high school student. I don't think they would approve any high school student either. Say a high school student is currently failing Algebra 1 and tries to sign up for the calculus exam I don't think they allow it. But I've never actually tried so who knows maybe that would be allowed and maybe there is no age limit.

I’ve heard adults have taken AP, but you’re taking the test on a specific day/time in May, with a room full of high school students. If you don’t pass, you have to wait until next year to retake it. No thank you! If you do it and don’t pass, I’d do a CLEP quick refresher and go sit for the CLEP ASAP after. Not all exams are avail in each though.

I prefer CLEP. You test at a college, any time you want and can retest in 3mos if you don’t pass. My son and I do them together, using the free voucher from ModernStates.org. You only have to answer the questions to get the vouchers. Their courses are hit or miss. ie History of US 1 is awful (speaker and long boring reading)—we used Khan APUSH periods 1-5 plus Jocz videos instead. And InstantCert and REA practice tests. We both passed in May with relatively high scores, 69 and 74 out of 80. On the other hand, modern states History of US II is a great class so far- the teacher is a powerhouse. We paired it with the rest of Khan APUSH, Jocz videos (it worked before so why mess with it lol) and my son requested Crash Course videos too. Also working on AmGov and AmLit bc they overlap a lot. We are over halfway done with the material. Most of our resources are free except for books (I have at least 1 for each, usually college textbooks, since we do these as homeschool courses w/CLEP after) and InstantCert and REA tests. I don’t think I’d want to go without either of these unless I really knew the subject matter well.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Ok, that makes more sense. When I wrote the post, I meant it for older adults, not teens in high school. If you use Acellus with a good book to prepare for AP exams and Modern States for the AP and/or CLEP exams, thats a sizable chunk of college credit for very little cost.

When people think of AP courses they think of high school, but there is is no age limit to taking AP exams. I'll check with TESU and see if they accept AP courses and/or exams.

AP - yes, any age can test. You can DIY the course content though, no reason to pay Acellus $$$$$ for curriculum unless you're a teen who needs a high school transcript. Further, Acellus will be too slow- setting the pace for a full school year. Ain't nobody got time for that. AP requires you take the exam in May at your local high school, so you're also going to have to find a high school that will let you participate (they aren't especially happy in most cases, so this is NOT a given).
Since we're talking about adults, there are only a few times this would be an advantage - but let's explore them:

(1) the college the adult wants to attend awards credit for AP but not CLEP
(2) the adult is under age 21 and will possibly have to apply as a freshman anyway
(3) the adult wants to get credit by exam in a subject not offered by CLEP (Latin or Art for instance)

There might be others, but this is essentially an AP vs CLEP question. Currently, you can CLEP till the cows come home for free, so that's where my enthusiasm is at this time. CLEP CLEP CLEP Smile

So Modern States does not give you a voucher for AP exams - so it's $94 plus testing fees if the school charges (which they can).

And like others have said, trying to find somewhere to take the exam is going to be an issue.  If homeschooled kids across the country are having trouble finding somewhere, imagine how much trouble you'll have as an adult, needing access to campus during the school day.

TESU WILL take AP exams for sure, I have seen evals with AP credit.  All you have to do is check the ACE database to see what is ACE-recommended.  But since you're thinking TESU (or one of the other Big 3 schools), then there is very little reason to go to the effort to take an AP exam when there are many other easier/cheaper/better ways to get credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • alab21, cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,722 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 586 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 197 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP