both about the same
33.33%
2 33.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP vs CLEP same study materials?
I don't intend to take any AP tests, but I'm wondering if AP and CLEPs of the same subject align fairly close in difficulty and topics/subjects. Lately I've come across some study materials for various AP tests that seem similar to the corresponding CLEPs so I'm wondering if they'd be good to use or not?

Added a poll because I think it would be interesting to see how people vote.
Though I understand that most people probably wouldn't take the same test for both since that would be redundant.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I've used AP material for most of my CLEP material and AP works perfectly to study for CLEP, especially because in my opinion, AP materials are higher quality and also more comprehensive.
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
(08-04-2018, 01:20 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I don't intend to take any AP tests, but I'm wondering if AP and CLEPs of the same subject align fairly close in difficulty and topics/subjects. Lately I've come across some study materials for various AP tests that seem similar to the corresponding CLEPs so I'm wondering if they'd be good to use or not?

Though I understand that most people probably wouldn't take the same test for both since that would be redundant.

AP tests are undoubtedly more difficult. Before you start studying for the CLEP, you should review the College Board website to see which subjects each test covers and what percentage of the test each subject makes up. After figuring out the subjects you need to study, you can then go through the AP material and select out those subjects. Its probably not the easiest way to go about it, but if you already have the AP material, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.
(08-04-2018, 01:20 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I don't intend to take any AP tests, but I'm wondering if AP and CLEPs of the same subject align fairly close in difficulty and topics/subjects. Lately I've come across some study materials for various AP tests that seem similar to the corresponding CLEPs so I'm wondering if they'd be good to use or not?

In 2014 AP changed all their exams, prior to that date, I used AP and CLEP REA books interchangeably with success. For the revision, AP exams were all been aligned "down" to K-12 Common Core content while CLEP exams remained aligned "up" to 101 college classes. This has been a big point of debate, because not all states have adopted Common Core, and nearly zero private or homeschools follow it, so this may have been a big faux pas on the part of the College Board- it remains to be seen if they do something different, but this gets a lot of press, you can google it - colleges don't appear to love the new versions.

As a distinction, CLEP exams are multiple choice whereas AP exams ALL require free response, so you're getting graded not only on the subject- but your ability to articulate your answer through writing, that adds a level of difficulty that CLEP doesn't have.
There are a lot of other differences, but I think those are the 2 biggies. This is something that's discussed often in my homeschooling group.

In my opinion, you can use ANYTHING to learn the content, and from any year - any college algebra book will do. But, for *exam prep* you should match the exam brand to the prep book and be sure it reflects the current exam dates (look them up on ACE). The difference will be in the depth, scope, and distribution of topics as opposed to the facts of content. Hope that helps!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 422 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 264 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 740 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 373 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,115 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,335 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,332 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Crash Course's Study Hall quigongene 4 952 01-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,847 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket