Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont Associate's
Hello everyone I've been reading about the Pierpont Associate degree. Can anyone give me more info about it and share their experience. 
I'm an Ex Navy guy who finally went back to college about a year ago. I'm currently enrolled in a Business Admin Program at my local community college and hope to go into Accounting. 
I sent my transcripts to Excelsior who after reviewing them determined that I needed 7 more credits to get an Associate's in Applied Science in Technical Studies. It looks like I need a capstone, a literacy requirement and a class called technology and society. 
However that degree and my current degree don't quite line up. I'm following a transfer degree that will allow me hopefully transfer to a Cal State University. Also my GI Bill expires in June and I can't take a mix of classes if they don't qualify to my Business Degree plan. With a full time job and going to school full time I'm lucky to get some sleep in between. 
I'm getting close to completion to my Business Admin degree but I still need to take College Algebra, Calculus and Statistics and maybe retake some classes that I failed years ago. So I'm close to both degrees but I can't get either due to them being so different. 
That's why I'm interested in the Pierpoint degree maybe they can put something together out of all my Credits from College and Navy Credits. 
I've just completed English 101 which is the critical thinking part. Next week I will hopefully complete my Public Speaking Class which is required for Cal State. 
Can someone suggest who I need to get in contact with to get this started? I would like to see if I can get a degree soon so that I can mention it on my next review at work. I have some questions though. 
Does the fact that I'm currently going full time to college disqualify me from this program?
Anybody know the Math Requirement? Excelsior was fine with the math that we used in the Navy in my Electrical core class. 
I passed Intermediate Algebra and I'm taking college Algebra next.
I'm done with the science requirement with the exception of a lab. 
Thanks for any input and I will update this thread if I decide to go this route for other interested parties.
I'm just gonna toss it out there you may want to read a little more about Pierpont. A lot of people on this forum never received transcripts from them, but if you are trying to go which Associates are you looking at there's a couple of them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I assuming the AAS BOG.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(01-18-2019, 12:57 AM)Rustydroid Wrote: Hello everyone I've been reading about the Pierpont Associate degree. Can anyone give me more info about it and share their experience. 
I'm an Ex Navy guy who finally went back to college about a year ago. I'm currently enrolled in a Business Admin Program at my local community college and hope to go into Accounting. 
I sent my transcripts to Excelsior who after reviewing them determined that I needed 7 more credits to get an Associate's in Applied Science in Technical Studies. It looks like I need a capstone, a literacy requirement and a class called technology and society. 
However that degree and my current degree don't quite line up. I'm following a transfer degree that will allow me hopefully transfer to a Cal State University. Also my GI Bill expires in June and I can't take a mix of classes if they don't qualify to my Business Degree plan. With a full time job and going to school full time I'm lucky to get some sleep in between. 
I'm getting close to completion to my Business Admin degree but I still need to take College Algebra, Calculus and Statistics and maybe retake some classes that I failed years ago. So I'm close to both degrees but I can't get either due to them being so different. 
That's why I'm interested in the Pierpoint degree maybe they can put something together out of all my Credits from College and Navy Credits. 
I've just completed English 101 which is the critical thinking part. Next week I will hopefully complete my Public Speaking Class which is required for Cal State. 
Can someone suggest who I need to get in contact with to get this started? I would like to see if I can get a degree soon so that I can mention it on my next review at work. I have some questions though. 
Does the fact that I'm currently going full time to college disqualify me from this program?
Anybody know the Math Requirement? Excelsior was fine with the math that we used in the Navy in my Electrical core class. 
I passed Intermediate Algebra and I'm taking college Algebra next.
I'm done with the science requirement with the exception of a lab. 
Thanks for any input and I will update this thread if I decide to go this route for other interested parties.

Finish with Excelsior. It doesn't matter if your degrees "line up" with Cal State, because when you enroll at Cal State, you'll have to check all their boxes too. Pierpont won't line up either- in fact, only an associate's from Cal State or a California community college would do what you're describing. It may be more efficient to simply skip the middle man and go directly to Cal State- but if you want an associate to tide you over, Excelsior will fit the bill. Pierpont won't give you a transcript, so you'll have a piece of paper that "says" you have an associate degree, but no way to prove it's legit for future employers or to Cal State. When Cal State asks for transcripts from all previous institutions, you'll be in a world of hurt.
If you want to go to a CSU school, then you need to worry about that rather than trying to grab a random AAS along the way. And like Jennifer said, when you apply to a CSU after getting your degree at Pierpont, you're going to have a major problem with not being able to provide a transcript to them. You may even have to give up your plan of a CSU at that point, or else take a 1cr course at Pierpont for like $1500 just to be able to get a transcript.

I think that if you REALLY want an AAS, then you should either go with Excelsior (although they aren't my favorite choice because they're too expensive). The other option (and probably a better choice) is to stay at your CC, finish your requirements, and get that degree and move onto a CSU.

One thing to keep in mind: CSU's will take CLEP exams, but it depends on the school as to which ones they will take. So, you could try to get some of those done in order to cut costs at CSU. Also, a lot of the CC's will take DSST exams - you can't pass them along to the CSU, but at least it will cut your costs to get your AA/AS.

Last but not least, I think that you need to consider going to one of the Big 3 or WGU instead of your current plan. Going to a CSU full-time, while working full time, and your GI Bill expiring before you ever get there - I think it's probably not the best choice for you. Obviously you can do what you want, but since you're here asking, I'm just going to go ahead and give my opinion.

If you were my little brother asking about this, I would tell you that an AAS is completely unnecessary for going into accounting, and to focus on that and find the school that will make it easiest to graduate in the shortest amount of time for the least amount of money. That might be a BSBA from COSC, a BSBA-Accounting from TESU, or best of all, a BS in Accounting from WGU. For less than half the price of 2 years at a CSU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, ztkerls
(01-18-2019, 11:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you want to go to a CSU school, then you need to worry about that rather than trying to grab a random AAS along the way.  And like Jennifer said, when you apply to a CSU after getting your degree at Pierpont, you're going to have a major problem with not being able to provide a transcript to them.  You may even have to give up your plan of a CSU at that point, or else take a 1cr course at Pierpont for like $1500 just to be able to get a transcript.

I think that if you REALLY want an AAS, then you should either go with Excelsior (although they aren't my favorite choice because they're too expensive).  The other option (and probably a better choice) is to stay at your CC, finish your requirements, and get that degree and move onto a CSU.

One thing to keep in mind: CSU's will take CLEP exams, but it depends on the school as to which ones they will take.  So, you could try to get some of those done in order to cut costs at CSU.  Also, a lot of the CC's will take DSST exams - you can't pass them along to the CSU, but at least it will cut your costs to get your AA/AS.

Last but not least, I think that you need to consider going to one of the Big 3 or WGU instead of your current plan.  Going to a CSU full-time, while working full time, and your GI Bill expiring before you ever get there - I think it's probably not the best choice for you.  Obviously you can do what you want, but since you're here asking, I'm just going to go ahead and give my opinion.

If you were my little brother asking about this, I would tell you that an AAS is completely unnecessary for going into accounting, and to focus on that and find the school that will make it easiest to graduate in the shortest amount of time for the least amount of money.  That might be a BSBA from COSC, a BSBA-Accounting from TESU, or best of all, a BS in Accounting from WGU.  For less than half the price of 2 years at a CSU.

Thanks for pointing that out, I  did not realize that Pierpont didn't give transcripts and it probably is a bad idea in my situation. The reason why I wanted that degree from Pierpont was because in order to finish my current Associate at my current CC I at least a year out or more. I still need to take about two more maths and my Econ classes. Plus once I complete that I still need to wait until graduation time. 
I'm really considering the big three at this time as well. The reason why I'm taking a transfer degree to Cal State is because most of those classes meet the same requirements that TESU asks for. Also in order to get my monthly stipend which comes out to around 2K a month for me I need to be going full time to school with half or a third of those classes (cant remember which) in an actual brick and mortar school. I'm planning to use that money for future tuition but its a race against time to complete the most classes before my GI Bill Expires.
(01-18-2019, 06:12 PM)Rustydroid Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you want to go to a CSU school, then you need to worry about that rather than trying to grab a random AAS along the way.  And like Jennifer said, when you apply to a CSU after getting your degree at Pierpont, you're going to have a major problem with not being able to provide a transcript to them.  You may even have to give up your plan of a CSU at that point, or else take a 1cr course at Pierpont for like $1500 just to be able to get a transcript.

I think that if you REALLY want an AAS, then you should either go with Excelsior (although they aren't my favorite choice because they're too expensive).  The other option (and probably a better choice) is to stay at your CC, finish your requirements, and get that degree and move onto a CSU.

One thing to keep in mind: CSU's will take CLEP exams, but it depends on the school as to which ones they will take.  So, you could try to get some of those done in order to cut costs at CSU.  Also, a lot of the CC's will take DSST exams - you can't pass them along to the CSU, but at least it will cut your costs to get your AA/AS.

Last but not least, I think that you need to consider going to one of the Big 3 or WGU instead of your current plan.  Going to a CSU full-time, while working full time, and your GI Bill expiring before you ever get there - I think it's probably not the best choice for you.  Obviously you can do what you want, but since you're here asking, I'm just going to go ahead and give my opinion.

If you were my little brother asking about this, I would tell you that an AAS is completely unnecessary for going into accounting, and to focus on that and find the school that will make it easiest to graduate in the shortest amount of time for the least amount of money.  That might be a BSBA from COSC, a BSBA-Accounting from TESU, or best of all, a BS in Accounting from WGU.  For less than half the price of 2 years at a CSU.

Thanks for pointing that out, I  did not realize that Pierpont didn't give transcripts and it probably is a bad idea in my situation. The reason why I wanted that degree from Pierpont was because in order to finish my current Associate at my current CC I at least a year out or more. I still need to take about two more maths and my Econ classes. Plus once I complete that I still need to wait until graduation time. 
I'm really considering the big three at this time as well. The reason why I'm taking a transfer degree to Cal State is because most of those classes meet the same requirements that TESU asks for. Also in order to get my monthly stipend which comes out to around 2K a month for me I need to be going full time to school with half or a third of those classes (cant remember which) in an actual brick and mortar school. I'm planning to use that money for future tuition but its a race against time to complete the most classes before my GI Bill Expires.

You can take CLEP's for Macroecon, Microecon, College Algebra, Precalc, and Calculus.  You can learn them all for free on Khan Academy.  CSU should accept all of those exams.  So you could probably cut a year off your time at CC with those.

They will also probably take Intro to Management and Intro to Marketing, if you haven't taken those courses already.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(01-18-2019, 06:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

You can take CLEP's for Macroecon, Microecon, College Algebra, Precalc, and Calculus.  You can learn them all for free on Khan Academy.  CSU should accept all of those exams.  So you could probably cut a year off your time at CC with those.

They will also probably take Intro to Management and Intro to Marketing, if you haven't taken those courses already.

YES!!! And while those exams are no walk in the park, I will tell you that when I earned my AA from TESU, I did so using CLEP exams starting from scratch. From zero credits to associate degree took me 6 months. I could have done it faster if I had more $ and more free time, but I had 4 young kids that kept me from really going full-tilt. At that time, even CLEPs were out of my budget- but now we have Modern States which makes CLEPs free, so honestly, you should consider Dfrecore's advice.
(01-18-2019, 10:29 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

YES!!!  And while those exams are no walk in the park, I will tell you that when I earned my AA from TESU, I did so using CLEP exams starting from scratch.  From zero credits to associate degree took me 6 months.  I could have done it faster if I had more $ and more free time, but I had 4 young kids that kept me from really going full-tilt.  At that time, even CLEPs were out of my budget- but now we have Modern States which makes CLEPs free, so honestly, you should consider Dfrecore's advice.

I will look into CLEPs once my GI Bill expires since I've needed to be going to school full time to get my housing allowance. Since my GI Bill is expiring soon I needed to take a lot of classes for the past one and a half year. 

I'm a strong test taker so CLEPs would be a great match for me. I passed my six week Business Law class with a B because it was mostly reading, some class presentation by the professor and a bunch of tests. On the other hand I find my four week course in Public speaking hard. You need to write the outline of the speech then summarize the speech and practice giving it in the time allowed. Minutes over or under are counted against you.
If I had more time to use my GI Bill I would have taken a bunch of CLEP tests and used the GI Bill to pay for a four year university and then a masters. I don't have that time though. Most of the classes that I could have used CLEPS for I already took. 
I may take Microeconomics as a CLEP but I'm not sure since I hear its the harder Econ class out of the two. Marketing and Management I may do as well but I'm not sure how they will fit into Cal State Fullerton's Accounting Degree. I'm really considering TESU specially since my job pays for CLEPS and Uexcel. I need to find out if they pay for TESU's exams. I get the feeling that they will but its not mentioned in their webpage.
(01-18-2019, 11:29 PM)Rustydroid Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:29 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

YES!!!  And while those exams are no walk in the park, I will tell you that when I earned my AA from TESU, I did so using CLEP exams starting from scratch.  From zero credits to associate degree took me 6 months.  I could have done it faster if I had more $ and more free time, but I had 4 young kids that kept me from really going full-tilt.  At that time, even CLEPs were out of my budget- but now we have Modern States which makes CLEPs free, so honestly, you should consider Dfrecore's advice.

I will look into CLEPs once my GI Bill expires since I've needed to be going to school full time to get my housing allowance. Since my GI Bill is expiring soon I needed to take a lot of classes for the past one and a half year. 

I'm a strong test taker so CLEPs would be a great match for me. I passed my six week Business Law class with a B because it was mostly reading, some class presentation by the professor and a bunch of tests. On the other hand I find my four week course in Public speaking hard. You need to write the outline of the speech then summarize the speech and practice giving it in the time allowed. Minutes over or under are counted against you.
If I had more time to use my GI Bill I would have taken a bunch of CLEP tests and used the GI Bill to pay for a four year university and then a masters. I don't have that time though. Most of the classes that I could have used CLEPS for I already took. 
I may take Microeconomics as a CLEP but I'm not sure since I hear its the harder Econ class out of the two. Marketing and Management I may do as well but I'm not sure how they will fit into Cal State Fullerton's Accounting Degree. I'm really considering TESU specially since my job pays for CLEPS and Uexcel. I need to find out if they pay for TESU's exams. I get the feeling that they will but its not mentioned in their webpage.

Well, with Cal State Fullerton in particular, they are pretty strict with CLEP's - unfortunately.  They don't accept Marketing, Management, or Info Systems in the major.  For them to accept Micro or Macro, you need to score a 65 (rather than a 50) to have them count (otherwise they come in as electives).  Bummer.

I would think about switching to TESU or WGU at some point after your GI Bill runs out.  You can get your degree so much cheaper and faster, it would be worth it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 357 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 159 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 355 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 548 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 546 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 819 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,466 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,210 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 881 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 17 2,223 02-20-2024, 02:25 PM