Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASBA associate's degree in business - useful?
I've just got three more classes to go to finish my BA in psychology, its been a busy 9 months!!  Now I'm beginning to wonder if adding in an associate's degree in business would be useful.  I talked to TESU and they said that it would be easy enough, just do the extra six business classes and pay one graduation fee for the two degrees when I'm done with both. 
I've done a little bit of everything over the years, a Jack of all trades, master of none.  My interests have always been more towards psychology, but for practical purposes it seems having some business classes under my belt may be useful.  Anyone else gone this route?  Does it seem necessary or useful?
I would say it couldn't hurt, and it's different enough from your bachelor that it has some practical use.  There are no fields that I can think of that can't benefit from some fundamental business knowledge.  Even if you go on to become a psychologist (eg), you'll likely have to do some business tasks (especially if you open your own practice). Most, if not all ,the ASBA credits can be obtained free to very little cost - and it has no capstone, so it adds no cost to your TESU bill.

My background is IT, and I had intended to get my bachelor in computer science (or something similar).  I ended up going with the business degree (BSBA) in the final round because I had plenty of ways to certify that I had the IT knowledge, but found myself more often than not having to explain that I was quite familiar with general accounting and understood budgets, or knew the importance of a good communication plan (I work in project management). The business degree (even at the associates level) does allow you to simply reply "I understand, I do have a degree in business".  I did the reverse of what you're saying I took the "free" to me associate in CS and the BSBA. Now for my master,  I will get back to my IT roots - that's not negotiable.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • ryanaryn
Personally, I don't think it's very useful. If you didn't have a bachelor's, then I'd say, sure it beats the heck out of no degree at all, but since you're getting your bachelor's, I wouldn't bother. If you want to do the extra business classes for your own enrichment, and it won't upset your schedule, then sure, you might as well go for it, but don't expect it to pack much punch on your resume.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I agree with davewill, almost no employer is looking for an ASBA - they want the whole enchilada (a BSBA or nothing). But it certainly can't hurt to take additional courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
An ASBA would check the box if you wanted to become an administrative assistant, but you already have a degree that can check any generic box.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you only had an Associate's in Psychology then I would think so. With a BA not so much. Now getting a BSBA or an MBA would be something useful maybe depending on your situation. I don't know if you work in health care but I do. There seems to be a competition among Nurses, social workers, administrators and others on how many letters they can put after their names.
I've looking around at what sort of degrees people above me have. The CEO of my company holds a BSBA in healthcare and what seems like an MBA in healthcare. One of the directors for a heart unit is a nurse and holds an MBA. My managers holds an Engineering degree and an MBA.
One of the Vice presidents holds a BS and an MBA and lists her associate's among her degrees. Each of the VP's and up lists their education in a public page for the company that I work for.
I've also seen some entry level jobs for Bookkeepers/Accounting asking for a minimum of an Associates in Accounting or Business Administration.
I don't think it will be very useful, given your BA. Except, as Rustydroid said, for a few low level bookkeeping jobs, then possibly useful.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Original Poster - OP, you might want to list your classes and see if there is another Associates that may benefit you more. BTW, is that 6 extra courses you need or 6 extra credits. If it's 6 courses, that's 18 credits, you can get a BALS with a concentration with those 18 credits. It's up to you to determine for yourself if that ASBA is worth the energy/money/time... If you're into learning a bit about business and it's interesting to you, go ahead, otherwise, concentrate on the Bachelors instead.

Many people including members here have had one or two associates added to their program list and completed en route to the Bachelors without additional fees and didn't take them additional energy/money or time, if you think it's worth it, add it to the list, if not, skip it. I did the BSBA, en route to it, I added the ASBA/ASNSM just for kicks, I could have added a BALS as I just needed 2 more courses, but skipped it.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ultimately, once you have a bachelor degree, most employers don't really care about any associate degrees you may have. That said, an associate degree can be useful in the case where you mean to demonstrate competency in a subject area rather than pursue a certification or similar credential. For example, as an employer, I would see an ASBA as equivalent to an undergraduate certificate in business administration.

Where this is useful is another matter altogether. With a BA in Psychology and ASBA, you might be able to show a potential employer how you could leverage your psych and business skills together in an administration position of some kind. While it may not make a difference in qualification, it might be able to set you apart if being compared to someone else with just a BA. But it would also depend on how well you could sell it to the hiring manager.

Either way, if its something you're interested in, and don't mind the extra time or cost, then why not. It's only a few more courses. It won't hurt in any case, and there is a small chance it could be useful. If time or money is in short demand, I wouldn't bother though.

In my case, I only added the ASNSM CS to my degree plan because it was closely aligned with my CIS degree and I'd be taking most of the courses necessary anyway. The extra courses needed for the CS option were also usable in my GenEds for the BSBA so it was a win-win for me... particularly since they are easy courses given I have 30 years experience in software development. I think of it as equivalent to a CS undergrad certificate.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • quigongene
Thanks everyone! That makes a lot of sense.  I think I will just concentrate on the BA for now and hold off on the AS.  I wish I would have thought about this before, then I could have taken those business classes as part of my electives and killed two birds with the proverbial stone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 401 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,472 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Confirm degree completed Carnation 0 440 01-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  Degree Approval Timeline for BOG (December Graduation) txc1500 10 1,062 12-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: txc1500
  Pierpont --- Associate degree question midnite123 17 1,394 11-28-2023, 01:54 PM
  Pierpont to Charge $130 Fee for BOG Degree MissRN 35 3,318 11-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: NapoleonInRags
  How long does a Degree Audit typically take? 00u00u00 12 953 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM
  Pierpont degree - Early Childhood basilia 7 456 10-19-2023, 10:48 AM
  Pierpont Degree No Emphasis? mohelena02 4 539 10-18-2023, 08:22 PM
  How do I start getting this degree? LouisDG89 6 675 09-16-2023, 08:07 PM
Last Post: DolceDolce