Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AS in Technology Degree plan help
Hello All!   

I can't believe I stumbled onto this forum.  You guys have got so much good advice!  I hope to be just as helpful once I get familiar with this and move past being a newbie.  I'd like to ask for your opinion on the degree plan I created to get an AS in Technology from Excelsior college.  I attended college back in 1988-90 but due to a family illness, I was forced to give up on it and start working.  My plan now is to get an AS first then get the BS.  I've looked at the requirements for the AS and what I think the corresponding exams/courses I can take to satisfy them. Can you guys review it and give me feedback?  Am I good?..going in the right direction?..or completely off?

Thanks in advance!

Excelsior requirements in black and my credits underneath in Red. (Anything with "City College" next to it are my transfer credits)

Arts and Science Component (30 credits)
  • Communications (must incude a course that satisfies the 3-credit Written English Requirement) 6 credits
  •  Basic Writing 3 (City College) 3 credits
    Speech Foundations (City College) 3 credits
  • Humanities 3 credits
  • Basic Spanish 1 (city College) 4 credits
  • Social Science/History 6 credits
  •  Human Sexuality (City College) 3 credits
    Introductory Sociology (City College) 3 credits
  • Natural Sciences 6 credits
  •  General Chemistry (City College) 3 credits
    PHYS101: Introduction to Mechanics (Saylor) 3 credits
  • Mathematics 6 credits
  •   College Algebra (Aleks) 3 credits
    Introduction to Statistics (Aleks) 3 credits
  • Arts and Science electives 3 credits
  •  Intro to Acting (City College) 4 credits
    Film and Writing Workshop (City College) 3 credits
Information Literacy Component 1 credit
  • INL 102 Information Literacy (Excelsior) 1 credit
Technology Component - Computer technologies (18 credits)
  • Tech 295 Integrated Technologies Assessment (Capstone - Excelsior) 3 credits
  •  A+ Certificate (Comptia) 2 credits
    Network + Certificate (Comptia) 2 credits
    Information Systems (CLEP) 3 credits
    Mobility+ Certificate (Comptia) 3 credits
    CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I (Saylor) 3 credits
    BUS206: Management Information Systems (Saylor) 3 credits

Technical Electives (12 Credits)
  • CCNA Routing and Switching  Certificate 6 credits
    BUS303: Strategic Information Technology (Saylor) 3 credits
    CS402: Computer Communications and Networks (Saylor) 3 credits
I will warn you that the Saylor courses for computers are not all great - my husband took the CS402 and said it was terrible, lots of wrong questions. While it's worth $25 to take them, I would say that if you don't pass, to try to find some other options.

Also, you have to check with EC directly to see what those courses come in as, no one here has posted about that. We know what they come in as at TESU, but definitely not at EC. So when you're ready to enroll there, ask and make sure ahead of time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • elcidd
Thank Dfrecore. Would you recommend TESU over EC for a Computer Science degree? I have extensive experience as a network engineer so actually learning about computer science is not the real goal, but my lack of a degree is hindering me in getting senior level promotions.
I have no opinon on which school has a better CS degree.

I would check to see which degree you need though, for promotions. If you don't need CS, but rather IT-related, WGU is definitely a better bet. They are going to be cheaper for sure.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • elcidd
Excelsior doesn't have a computer science degree. TESU is the only one of the Big3 that does. I attached my spreadsheet for the TESU BACS.

The TESU BACS is a little light on CS coursework, but since you mainly need the sheepskin, that is probably all to the good.

Attached Files
.xls   TESU BA Computer Science 2016-4.xls (Size: 35.5 KB / Downloads: 15)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • elcidd
(08-30-2017, 05:11 PM)davewill Wrote: Excelsior doesn't have a computer science degree. TESU is the only one of the Big3 that does. I attached my spreadsheet for the TESU BACS.

The TESU BACS is a little light on CS coursework, but since you mainly need the sheepskin, that is probably all to the good.

Dave, thanks so much for the spreadsheet and the advice!  You are correct, Excelsior does not offer a computer science degree.  According to their website and catalog, Excelsior has a Associates in Science in Technology (Computer Technologies) and a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (Network Operations concentration).  With what I already know from over a decade in the industry as a network analyst, engineer and currently Sr. Network Engineer (but shut out of IT manager, assistant director and director positions because of lack of a degree) I probably can test out of most of the courses.  Nevertheless, if TESU has a better (meaning faster, more straightforward path and cost effective path) I'll definitely look into that.
(08-30-2017, 05:48 PM)elcidd Wrote: Dave, thanks so much for the spreadsheet and the advice!  You are correct, Excelsior does not offer a computer science degree.  According to their website and catalog, Excelsior has a Associates in Science in Technology (Computer Technologies) and a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (Network Operations concentration).  With what I already know from over a decade in the industry as a network analyst, engineer and currently Sr. Network Engineer (but shut out of IT manager, assistant director and director positions because of lack of a degree) I probably can test out of most of the courses.  Nevertheless, if TESU has a better (meaning faster, more straightforward path and cost effective path) I'll definitely look into that.

Again, if you only need a BS in something computer/IT-related, and you can consider something else, I would definitely look at WGU.  It will be BY FAR the cheapest (and maybe fastest) around.

They will also take tons of test-out credits, including certs (TESU won't take any of your certs).  Check them out.
  • elcidd
WGU huh? I never considered them. I will definitely check them out. Quick question. If I wanted to go for a Masters sometime in the future, would it matter that I got a degree from WGU (or any of the other big 3 for that matter)?

Thanks again for the input defrecore!
You should also have your certifications evaluated by COSC and EC if you don't mind paying the application fees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • elcidd
I would add WGU is the choice to go for, if you would like very similar options for IT/CS...
Brandman and Hodges offer BSIT as well, at the same price points too!

My recommendation of WGU (or other competency based) programs are a better fit than just a regular BSBA CIS/BA CS program.
A few other programs that are IT/Software Development based as well from several providers other than WGU... You should check them out!

Brandman University MyPath Programs (See BBA IT or BS IT) - https://www.brandman.edu/mypath/degrees
Hodges University UPower Programs & Tuition - https://www.hodges.edu/academics/academi...power.aspx

Capella University FlexPath Programs - https://www.capella.edu/capella-experien...-programs/
Capella University FlexPath Tuition - https://www.capella.edu/capella-experien...h/tuition/

Northern Arizona University Personalized Learning Tuition - http://pl.nau.edu/Tuition.aspx
Newly created program BS CIT - http://pl.nau.edu/ComputerInformationTechnology.aspx

WGU IT Programs - https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/programs
Tuition - https://www.wgu.edu/tuition_financial_aid/overview#

University of Wisconsin - https://flex.wisconsin.edu/degrees-progr...echnology/
UW Flexible Tuition - https://flex.wisconsin.edu/degrees-progr...y/#tuition

Patten MBA IT - http://patten.edu/patten-online/online-d...echnology/
Patten tuition - http://patten.edu/admissions/online-tuition/

Note: I placed Patten in there as it would be a cheap/quick RA Masters degree when/if you wanted to do one after your Bachelors.
Several people finished the Masters program in 4 months and a grand total of $2 grand. You can't beat that with a rocket or a stick!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • elcidd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,672 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,867 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,776 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,003 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,963 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,324 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,682 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero