Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASNSM Mathematics AOS Electives
I'm trying to work out a degree plan for the ASNSM Mathematics at TESU. The goal is to finish any missing requirements in the AOS by October 1, so looking for the fastest exam options.

II. Area of Study: Mathematics
  • Calculus I (3)
  • Mathematics Electives (13)
So far the courses taken are:
  • Intermediate Algebra (Aleks) – completed 3SH - A. Quantitative Literacy?
  • MATH207 Intro To Statistics (SU) 3SH - E. Mathematics?
  • MATH111 (College Trigonometry) 3 (APUS) 3SH - II. Area of Study: Mathematics Electives?
  • MTH340 Discrete Mathematics (Baker) 2.66SH - II. Area of Study: Mathematics Electives?
and the ones in progress are:
  • College Algebra (Aleks) – Planned/In progress 3SH - II. Area of Study: Mathematics Electives?
  • Calculus (SDC) – Planned/In progress 6SH - - II. Area of Study: Mathematics Calc Req + Electives?
I want to make sure I'm planning the right courses and have a few questions.

1. The Study.com/TESU transfer equivalency table, says TESU's equivalent for SDC's Math 104: Calculus would be TESU's MAT-231 : Calculus I for 6 credits. Since 3 credits of Calc I are required, can the remaining 3 be applied to the elective area if this course is taken? Could you still take SL Calc II for an additional 4 credits or would this be considered a dupe of SDC Calc I. I'm a bit confused whether this course is suppose to be covering both Calc I/II since it is awarding 6 credits, but only Calc I is listed on the equivalency table, so just want to be sure.
  2. Does anyone know if TESU has an actual Trig equivalency? I couldnt find one in the TESU Catalog so if not, I am guessing the above Trig course will come in as MAT-129 PreCalc.
  3. Are there any restrictions on what mathematics courses can be used for the AOS electives area? Do they need to be above College Algebra or would anything work here? 
SDC calc 1 transfers in as calc 1 only. I took calc 1 at study.com and am now taking calc 2 at StraighterLine. They do not duplicate. Not sure if the left over 3 credits from SDC calc 1 will apply to the math AOS electives but they should. That's what I will be trying to do.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-21-2018, 10:04 AM)MNomadic Wrote: SDC calc 1 transfers in as calc 1 only. I took calc 1 at study.com and am now taking calc 2 at StraighterLine. They do not duplicate. Not sure if the left over 3 credits from SDC calc 1 will apply to the math AOS electives but they should. That's what I will be trying to do.

Awesome! I just didn't know if 2 courses really could net 9 credits but if that's the case fantastic! Thanks again for your help  Big Grin

Also, btw did you find the SDC Calc I course adequately prepared you for the SL Calc II course?
(08-21-2018, 10:17 AM)shadowgem Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 10:04 AM)MNomadic Wrote: SDC calc 1 transfers in as calc 1 only. I took calc 1 at study.com and am now taking calc 2 at StraighterLine. They do not duplicate. Not sure if the left over 3 credits from SDC calc 1 will apply to the math AOS electives but they should. That's what I will be trying to do.

Awesome! I just didn't know if 2 courses really could net 9 credits but if that's the case fantastic! Thanks again for your help  Big Grin

Also, btw did you find the SDC Calc I course adequately prepared you for the SL Calc II course?

No. In fact the SDC course didn't adequately prepare me for itself. I would use extra resources (Khan, YouTube, free textbooks, etc.) To prepare for the SDC course and to prepare for calc 2. The SDC course was easy for the first half before it even felt like calculus. Then it was a little out of order. Also, the SL calc courses are also out of order.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-21-2018, 10:43 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 10:17 AM)shadowgem Wrote:

No. In fact the SDC course didn't adequately prepare me for itself. I would use extra resources (Khan, YouTube, free textbooks, etc.) To prepare for the SDC course and to prepare for calc 2. The SDC course was easy for the first half before it even felt like calculus. Then it was a little out of order. Also, the SL calc courses are also out of order.

Well that's unfortunate for both course providers, but very helpful to know in advance, so ty! I'll pass on your suggestion to prep with Khan et al ahead of time.
I just want to confirm that the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra was completed in 2017 - not this year (as it expired for ACE 08/31/2017, and cannot be added for credit if it was completed after that date).  I inquire because you listed the ALEKS College Algebra being worked on now (which is fine as it is ACE recommended until 2020)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-21-2018, 11:47 AM)allvia Wrote: I just want to confirm that the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra was completed in 2017 - not this year (as it expired for ACE 08/31/2017, and cannot be added for credit if it was completed after that date).  I inquire because you listed the ALEKS College Algebra being worked on now (which is fine as it is ACE recommended until 2020)

Yes, I think it may of even been 2016 but it was already added to the ACE transcript and approved, so I think that should be fine. I'm just not sure what other courses qualify as math electives for the ASNSM including if even Alek's College Algebra or his Trig course will work there. I'm assuming Discrete Math should not be an issue.. I'm hoping any mathematics courses could work since he's only got 6 weeks left before he needs to apply for graduation and I'm not finding very many higher level maths courses using test out methods so far.
(08-21-2018, 12:42 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 11:47 AM)allvia Wrote: I just want to confirm that the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra was completed in 2017 - not this year (as it expired for ACE 08/31/2017, and cannot be added for credit if it was completed after that date).  I inquire because you listed the ALEKS College Algebra being worked on now (which is fine as it is ACE recommended until 2020)

Yes, I think it may of even been 2016 but it was already added to the ACE transcript and approved, so I think that should be fine. I'm just not sure what other courses qualify as math electives for the ASNSM including if even Alek's College Algebra or his Trig course will work there. I'm assuming Discrete Math should not be an issue.. I'm hoping any mathematics courses could work since he's only got 6 weeks left before he needs to apply for graduation and I'm not finding very many higher level maths courses using test out methods so far.

The ASNSMs only require lower level - so any high level courses work, but not required.  Since they are LL requirement courses it also makes them quite flexible.  Generally for these TESU ASNSM degrees the AOS requirement is the highest level you need - so in the ASNSM Math case it is Calculus I - and since I know you're looking at the ASNSM Biology one as well, that highest course is the Bio II w/lab

Also as long as the Intermediate Algebra is on his ACE transcript already he is all set; as he earned it while it was still recommended for credit.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-21-2018, 01:20 PM)allvia Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 12:42 PM)shadowgem Wrote:

The ASNSMs only require lower level - so any high level courses work, but not required.  Since they are LL requirement courses it also makes them quite flexible.  Generally for these TESU ASNSM degrees the AOS requirement is the highest level you need - so in the ASNSM Math case it is Calculus I - and since I know you're looking at the ASNSM Biology one as well, that highest course is the Bio II w/lab

Also as long as the Intermediate Algebra is on his ACE transcript already he is all set; as he earned it while it was still recommended for credit.

That's exactly what I was hoping was the case! Once again tyvvm. Seriously, you and everyone else have been so much help. I can't say ty enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASNSM CS (TESU) MNomadic 5 1,897 08-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASNSM Biology shadowgem 6 1,682 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU free electives Tripletmom 1 1,207 06-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Using electives in BSBA to get most of a Psychology degree done Dowew 3 1,132 06-07-2018, 05:30 AM
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,198 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,345 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Does it matter which electives go into the degree slots? Ideas 2 1,327 01-20-2018, 01:06 AM
  TESU ASNSM Computer Science ELSADDIQ 0 1,702 12-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Last Post: ELSADDIQ