Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASNSM in Computer Science TESU (Or other) Plan?
(01-29-2018, 08:07 PM)davewill Wrote: To be honest, I don't think it matters which associate's. The main use for an associate's is to set the person apart from a high school graduate. The ASNSM CS might be helpful if he wants to get on a helpdesk or maybe a job as a tester. If you think he will do especially well in the math and computer courses and the fees are not a showstopper, then it might be worth it, but I'd say until he decides to study diligently because he's motivated from within, you'd be better taking the path of least resistance.

Well... it's so hard to say..  He wants to have a slightly better associates, since it's possible that he might not go further.   He wants to learn a couple of computer languages and then go down an IT path.     I think the best choice is to give him some time and see if he can do the computer stuff.   If he starts to do well on his own, I'll foot the bill for any IT fees since it would be worth it.

I am nervous, but he is so gosh darn smart.   I never knew a learning disability could be so devastating.  Sad
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Do understand that computer science and IT are quite different paths. However I see no harm in starting down the CS road. All of those credits will be useful in the BOG AAS if you decide against TESU for the associate's. He might even be able to get the BOG AAS in computer science or technical studies.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Here is the TESU ASNSM/CS spreadsheet.  I honestly don't know which courses will go into the Computer Science area, but others here will.

To second what others here have said, the BOG AAS might be a better (cheaper) bet for your son.  And I normally am not a fan of TESU's AA, because I think it's too expensive.  BUT, I will also say that for someone who struggles, like your son does, getting that particular piece of paper might make a huge difference in his life, and if that's the case, then it may be worth the extra cost.

Good luck to him!

Attached Files
.xlsx   burbuja0512 TESU ASNSM in CS.xlsx (Size: 26.63 KB / Downloads: 35)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-29-2018, 08:25 PM)davewill Wrote: Do understand that computer science and IT are quite different paths. However I see no harm in starting down the CS road. All of those credits will be useful in the BOG AAS if you decide against TESU for the associate's. He might even be able to get the BOG AAS in computer science or technical studies.

Ok I am clueless when it comes to this.   I literally thought that they were synonyms.    I liked it better when he was studying marketing Sad

Update: I spent the evening reading about this and I don't think it will work. It sounds like he needs to have a 2.0 and his "F's" need to be a little older than they are.

Unfortunately, he's had a few failures under his belt recently so he probably wouldn't make it. I'll review his B&M transcript tomorrow just in case, but it might not work.

Thanks all anyhow and of course if anyone has a plan for the original TESU document, I'm still very open to that.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
This is a new thread started earlier today, it is talking about options for getting those AOS credits for the ASNSM in Computer Science @ TESU.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...SNSM-in-CS
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

This doesn't appear to have come up yet. In terms of getting a job, he may be better off finishing whatever Associates is easiest, and focusing on getting certifications. In fact, there are some certifications that employers would probably want more than an Associates. I am not familiar with which ones, but I believe there are a few that aren't hard (compared to doing the ASNSM-CS), which could then get him a nice job with only HS diploma.

And then maybe later, he can get the BOG AAS to have one, or get an undergrad certificate. I am definitely not as knowledgeable about this area as some people on this forum, but from what I have read, if it were my child, I would not have them pursue the ASNSM-CS first. I would have them do one or two certifications first, with the hope that they do more certifications or undergrad cert(s) after. Then have them get some easy Associates after that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 393 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,002 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az