Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASU ENG 101 vs ENG 102
(07-20-2021, 07:03 PM)NC Coach Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 06:29 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 08:04 PM)NC Coach Wrote: It has 20 writing assignments (Writer's Journals) of 500+ words and then 5 larger assignments (Writing Projects) of 500 to 1,000 words, so 25 total assignments.   It also has chapter quizzes, and some participation assignments as well.    And in addition to all of that, you must build a website to hold your work.   

Quizzes, participation assignments, 25 written assignments, and just for shits and giggles go ahead and build your own website to list all your projects.  Why not just for fun throw in a requirement to learn the Chinese language from scratch and do an additional assignment along with an oral presentation???  LOL 

Jesus Christ!  How many hours did it take you to do all of that?

I honestly don't know, LOL.   Probably not nearly as many hours as it felt like.    Big Grin

I have built websites before so I had my site up in just a couple hours or less, including reading all the requirements for it.   We had to create "About" pages as well.   

The assignments don't take me forever, but there are a number of video lectures that I typically play at faster than normal speed, or just read the transcripts, so I can progress through the course with some idea what to do next.   

I cannot say it's a terrible class.  If it was writing about subjects that interest me I would probably have enjoyed it because I am not adverse to writing in general.   Lord knows I do a TON of it at work.   

However, I would not recommend it to anyone who isn't a bit tech-savvy so they can build their site and maintain it.   Some of the writing assignments require you to add images, videos, or other multimodal elements as well.   The forum has plenty of people who struggle with that part of it asking for help.    The professor does respond to every single post that I have seen, even when they post for help in the wrong area.   

But I'm sure there are much easier/better courses out there, both RA and ACE.   I'm going to finish it, though.  I'm too far along to stop now.    Tongue

The bold.....in Eng Comp? For real? That's beyond insane.
Many of the ASU ULC courses have digital portfolio assignments. Their rationale was something about digital literacy or whatever. I also spent far too much time fiddling with my sites and making everything work. In the end, I went with Google sites for everything at ASU. I made a personal template once then adapted that for each class. Personally, I found Google sites to be simpler than the Weebly or Wix setups they suggested. There's no issue with using another service as long it can satisfy all of the assignment requirements. My advice is to find a simple setup that works and roll with it.
I bailed on the English comp courses at ASU and went with CLEP & DSST again because of the workload. The ASU offerings may be appropriate for students looking to develop their writing skills. However, I found the prompts to be uninteresting and the amount of assignments to be excessive. The ASU English composition courses require a ton of time and effort, much more so than some other courses. If they're bogging you down, go with something else to fill the requirement and choose another slot for RA credit.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 3 users Like jch's post:
  • NC Coach, Pikachu, ss20ts
(07-20-2021, 06:26 PM)NC Coach Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 05:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Does it have to come from an RA source? I am asking as some of the providers such as Sophia.org/Study.com and StraighterLine have written assignments.  Not all alternative education course credits are through similar classes, some are just exams.  If you're fine with taking exams, that may be the route to go, if you want to learn more and retain the info, then taking similar ACE recommended for college credit may suffice for you.

No, not necessarily, but I do need to replace another class with RA credit if I take that off because when I designed my degree plan I had both English Comp classes from ASU.   

I still have the following classes remaining (in addition to ENG 102) for a History degree at TESU and can probably switch something out for RA credit.
  • TESU Cornerstone and Capstone, of course
  • Oral Communication:  I have SDC COM 120 here.
  • American Government:  I have Straighterline here
  • Art History 1 & 2 from Sophia (just started on 1)
  • 2 classes (6 credits) of free electives for which I have penciled in Business Law and Introduction to Finance from Sophia
  • All history area of study courses remain (except US History 1 & 2 which I completed through Sophia).  This includes: Western Civ 1 & 2 (Straighterline), Historiography (SDC History 301), Non-Western History (ONU Latin American History) and 4 classes of History electives, of which I hoped Sophia's new history class with the long name will be one of them.  The other 3 will have to be RA credits. 
So yes, I do have the ability to switch the ENG 102 to something like Sophia or SL, and then replace the RA credit elsewhere.

ONU has American Government, I'd do that instead of Straighterline.

I feel like at this point, SL, Sophia and Study.com are almost as much work as a college course for the English Comp courses - so I'd probably consider taking that at an RA school (ONU or TEL).  Or else test out if possible (CLEP/DSST or TECEP exams).

I'd also stick with RA outside of the major, since you can do Study.com history courses for the rest. They have a ton that will work, including UL.  So try to get that RA credit where you can.

One last option: The HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900 UExcel exam is both RA & UL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • NC Coach
(07-20-2021, 11:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 06:26 PM)NC Coach Wrote: No, not necessarily, but I do need to replace another class with RA credit if I take that off because when I designed my degree plan I had both English Comp classes from ASU.   

I still have the following classes remaining (in addition to ENG 102) for a History degree at TESU and can probably switch something out for RA credit.
  • TESU Cornerstone and Capstone, of course
  • Oral Communication:  I have SDC COM 120 here.
  • American Government:  I have Straighterline here
  • Art History 1 & 2 from Sophia (just started on 1)
  • 2 classes (6 credits) of free electives for which I have penciled in Business Law and Introduction to Finance from Sophia
  • All history area of study courses remain (except US History 1 & 2 which I completed through Sophia).  This includes: Western Civ 1 & 2 (Straighterline), Historiography (SDC History 301), Non-Western History (ONU Latin American History) and 4 classes of History electives, of which I hoped Sophia's new history class with the long name will be one of them.  The other 3 will have to be RA credits. 
So yes, I do have the ability to switch the ENG 102 to something like Sophia or SL, and then replace the RA credit elsewhere.

ONU has American Government, I'd do that instead of Straighterline.

I feel like at this point, SL, Sophia and Study.com are almost as much work as a college course for the English Comp courses - so I'd probably consider taking that at an RA school (ONU or TEL).  Or else test out if possible (CLEP/DSST or TECEP exams).

I'd also stick with RA outside of the major, since you can do Study.com history courses for the rest. They have a ton that will work, including UL.  So try to get that RA credit where you can.

One last option: The HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900 UExcel exam is both RA & UL.

That's good info.   I'll take a look at your suggestions.  Thank you so much!
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
For RA credits, if you're really interested in testing out, the options are TECEPS and UEXCELS. If you're into taking classes, then take some at the community colleges or other options such as ONU/TEL. The main thing is, you need to make sure those courses will go towards your TESU degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Well, I have finally moved to the last section of this class and just wanted to clarify the info I originally said here about ENG 101 from ASU:

"It has 20 writing assignments (Writer's Journals) of 500+ words and then 5 larger assignments (Writing Projects) of 500 to 1,000 words, so 25 total assignments.   It also has chapter quizzes, and some participation assignments as well.    And in addition to all of that, you must build a website to hold your work."

Of the 5 larger assignments, 3 of them are 500 to 1,000 words, and 1 of them is 700 to 1,000 words, but the final assignment is actually 1,500 to 2,000 words.  Just wanted to ensure accurate info in case anyone was considering the class and came across this in the future.  

I've completed all 20 writing journal entries and just have the 1,500 to 2,000 word project left, plus some participation assignments and the final quiz.  My grade at the moment is 96%.

I'm thinking I should have just used CLEP for the 6 credits in English Comp.   Just curious, is there a CLEP that's the equivalent of just English Comp 2 since I'll already have this one completed?
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(07-24-2021, 07:48 PM)NC Coach Wrote: Well, I have finally moved to the last section of this class and just wanted to clarify the info I originally said here about ENG 101 from ASU:

"It has 20 writing assignments (Writer's Journals) of 500+ words and then 5 larger assignments (Writing Projects) of 500 to 1,000 words, so 25 total assignments.   It also has chapter quizzes, and some participation assignments as well.    And in addition to all of that, you must build a website to hold your work."

Of the 5 larger assignments, 3 of them are 500 to 1,000 words, and 1 of them is 700 to 1,000 words, but the final assignment is actually 1,500 to 2,000 words.  Just wanted to ensure accurate info in case anyone was considering the class and came across this in the future.  

I've completed all 20 writing journal entries and just have the 1,500 to 2,000 word project left, plus some participation assignments and the final quiz.  My grade at the moment is 96%.

I'm thinking I should have just used CLEP for the 6 credits in English Comp.   Just curious, is there a CLEP that's the equivalent of just English Comp 2 since I'll already have this one completed?

The College Comp w/Essay CLEP will give you 3cr for ENG101 and 3cr for ENG102 - so you can take that.  You could take the Principles of Advanced Comp DSST exam, which is all multiple choices.  But my personal choice (and what I did) was take the Eng102 TECEP exam.  No studying, and it gives you RA credit to boot.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • NC Coach
(07-24-2021, 10:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 07:48 PM)NC Coach Wrote: Well, I have finally moved to the last section of this class and just wanted to clarify the info I originally said here about ENG 101 from ASU:

The College Comp w/Essay CLEP will give you 3cr for ENG101 and 3cr for ENG102 - so you can take that.  You could take the Principles of Advanced Comp DSST exam, which is all multiple choices.  But my personal choice (and what I did) was take the Eng102 TECEP exam.  No studying, and it gives you RA credit to boot.

Oh, that sounds like a good option.   I'll investigate that for sure.   I feel like I spent far too much time on this class.   Thank you so much!

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits