Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASU UL classes transfer to WGU
My son has taken a few classes at ASU UL (universal learner) as well as several Sophia classes. I know what classes will transfer from Sophia but does anyone have any idea if any of the following classes will transfer in to WGU for the BS in Data Analytics degree:

Habitable Worlds (Lab class) 4 credits
Microeconomics 
Europe & Mediterranean Ancient History
English Comp 2 
Computer Applications & Information Technology
Advanced Excel (300 level course CIS 308)
Location Analytics in Business (300 level course CIS 394)

My son was taking these classes as dual enrollment since he is still in high school. He was taking a variety of classes to try to figure out what major he might like in college. After taking the Computer classes at ASU he found he really likes Data Analysis so we are trying to figure out what college will be the best option for his degree. If it helps he has also taken the following classes from Sophia:

Approaches to Study Religion
Art History 1
Art History 2
College Algebra
English Comp 1
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to Ethics
Intro to Information Technology
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Statistics
Public Speaking
US History 1
US History 2
Visual Communications

Thanks for any help you can give.
I could be mistaken, but my best guesses for these are:

Habitable Worlds (Lab class) 4 credits - May or may not count for physical science + lab. Should at least count for Integrated Physical Sciences. Overlap with Human Biology.
Microeconomics - Should fill the "Intro to Geography" slot.
Europe & Mediterranean Ancient History - Intro to Geography. Overlap with Microecon.
English Comp 2 - I don't think this will get used. Possibly humanities, but I don't think so.
Computer Applications & Information Technology - Intro to IT, maybe? Overlap with Sophia's Intro to IT.
Advanced Excel (300 level course CIS 308) - I don't think there is anywhere for this to go.
Location Analytics in Business (300 level course CIS 394) - I think it's likely this will get used, but I don't know where.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Most of those gen eds should just fall into the relevant gen eds like Rachel said but I do have insights on the others:

Computer Applications & Information Technology: for me this transferred in to fulfill business of IT- Applications (ITIL cert), no guarantee that it will do the same for you.

Advanced excel should be enough to fulfill the intro to spreadsheets class

Location Analytics in business: no idea on this one, it may be too specific for WGU to use since several of the data analytics specific courses can only be done with the Udacity data analytics nanodegree(whether through WGU or transferred in).

Some additional courses worth taking through Sophia would be the intro to web dev, intro to databases(maybe, depending on how well he can learn it with additional resources), intro to programming with python, and project management.

Also, if you're still doing dual enrollment courses with ASU, the intro to programming one is something I recommend.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSDMDA.aspx

^ that lists the general transfer info --- not for ASU, but just general info

> Habitable Worlds (Lab class) 4 credits

^ natural science lab should be done at WGU -- its easy

> Microeconomics

^ can't think of anything this would transfer to

> Europe & Mediterranean Ancient History

^ possibly Introduction to Geography

> English Comp 2

^ only Comp 1 is required and it is pretty easy
but Comp 2 might transfer in as Comp 1

> Computer Applications & Information Technology

^ probably Introduction to IT

> Advanced Excel (300 level course CIS 308)

^ probably Introduction to Spreadsheets

> Location Analytics in Business (300 level course CIS 394)

^ no idea
(08-23-2022, 02:48 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Most of those gen eds should just fall into the relevant gen eds like Rachel said but I do have insights on the others:

Computer Applications & Information Technology: for me this transferred in to fulfill business of IT- Applications (ITIL cert), no guarantee that it will do the same for you.

Advanced excel should be enough to fulfill the intro to spreadsheets class

Location Analytics in business: no idea on this one, it may be too specific for WGU to use since several of the data analytics specific courses can only be done with the Udacity data analytics nanodegree(whether through WGU or transferred in).

Some additional courses worth taking through Sophia would be the intro to web dev, intro to databases(maybe, depending on how well he can learn it with additional resources), intro to programming with python, and project management.

Also, if you're still doing dual enrollment courses with ASU, the intro to programming one is something I recommend.

He is actually working on the Intro to Web Development and Project Management at Sophia right now. He also plans to take Intro to Relational Database, Intro to Programming with Python, and Principles of Management from Sophia as well since we know they transfer into the degree through the transfer sheet on WGU website.
Also, thought I'd add that since there's so many cheap/free options in Coursera for data analytics (Google data analytics, multiple IBM options, SAS) related specializations, it would be a good idea to try one out to see to see how he likes the material before committing to the degree. Of course, there are a bunch of other IT related degrees with lots of overlap if he wants to pivot to a different type of computer/IT related degree.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az
(08-23-2022, 04:07 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Also, thought I'd add that since there's so many cheap/free options in Coursera for data analytics (Google data analytics, multiple IBM options, SAS) related specializations, it would be a good idea to try one out to see to see how he likes the material before committing to the degree. Of course, there are a bunch of other IT related degrees with lots of overlap if he wants to pivot to a different type of computer/IT related degree.

That's a good point. Instead of taking Intro to Relational Databases, it might be a good idea to do the Data Analytics Professional Certificate. It'll probably take about the same amount of time as Intro to Relational Databases, but it'll give a better idea as to whether this degree is even a good fit.

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...913&pid=73
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(08-23-2022, 04:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-23-2022, 04:07 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Also, thought I'd add that since there's so many cheap/free options in Coursera for data analytics (Google data analytics, multiple IBM options, SAS) related specializations, it would be a good idea to try one out to see to see how he likes the material before committing to the degree. Of course, there are a bunch of other IT related degrees with lots of overlap if he wants to pivot to a different type of computer/IT related degree.

That's a good point. Instead of taking Intro to Relational Databases, it might be a good idea to do the Data Analytics Professional Certificate. It'll probably take about the same amount of time as Intro to Relational Databases, but it'll give a better idea as to whether this degree is even a good fit.

To add on that: the Udacity  Data Analytics Nano Degree(which is part of the WGU degree) is $399/month before discounts(and they offer a bunch of different discounts) so it comes out to be cheaper per month than WGU tuition (plus no long term commitment), so it may be another option to consider for "trying out" the field of data analytics before committing to a degree and can potentially save money depending on how fast you do courses.

Edit to add: that nanodegree would encompass about 5 courses(14 CUs).

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(08-23-2022, 04:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

He wouldn't be able to go through the American Dream Academy. He just turned 17 and is a Senior in High School still. The program requires you to be 18 and have a diploma already. If he took the courses through Coursera and received the certificate that way would they not accept it?
They can't tell where or how you get the certificate, whether through TADA, another program, or paying for it yourself. TADA is simply where/how it's listed.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 342 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,283 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 674 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 755 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer? tazz 17 3,000 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: tazz
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,059 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,645 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UoPeople to WGU Transfer EDUxplorer 9 2,354 01-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,145 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
  WGU BS Business Administration Management - Transferrable Classes NOT on Study mohelena02 12 2,356 01-28-2022, 07:18 PM