Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASVAB Study Guides
Which one is the best one? Any study tips would be appreciated.
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

namwen Wrote:Which one is the best one? Any study tips would be appreciated.

we carried different brands in the office and taught them to applicants in our spare time when i was a recruiter. i think they were all just as good as the next.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
namwen Wrote:Which one is the best one? Any study tips would be appreciated.

My daughter has taken the ASVAB twice. The best advice I can give is to read the questions in the guide (any of them, we've used different brands) and get used to the types of questions they ask. There were questions in the mechanical section that people who love to work on cars could answer but never crack a book (life experience). Just reading the questions utilizing mechanical terminology is tough for those with no mechanical experience. Most importantly, the job your child wants (MOS) is directly tied to a minimum score on this test, being different minimum score for each job sAs far as the military is concerned, no sense training a soldier for a particular job if they don't have the natural aptitude for it. Also, can't take it younger than 16 years old, as they throw out the scores.
DD #1
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calc
CLEP A&I Lit, College Comp., College Mathematics, Sociology
DSST. Environment and Humanity RTSTP
B&M CC 7 total credits Music performance, Intro to Business
ACE SCUBA Diver, Advanced Diver, and Rescue Diver.
FEMA 15 so far, PDS complete
B&M Univ 9 UL English credits, Creative Writing, Psychology, Statistics, History of Medieval Europe, Economics, Novels of Jane Austen, Great Christian Writers
Dual enrolled classes for this school year: Film and Worldview, American History after 1865, Survey of American Literature, Comp 1(school requirement), Anatomy, Physiology, Medical Terminology I, Ethics, American Military History in Film, Developmental Psychology, Chemistry

Cornerstone COSC, World Lit for Children, Public Speaking BYU, complete
CNA and Advance CNA complete
AS from COSC COMPLETE!
Currently interviewing material on InstantCert to decide next test
My son is looking to get into the Army Reserves nursing program here in San Antonio.
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

Hometeacher628 Wrote:Most importantly, the job your child wants (MOS) is directly tied to a minimum score on this test, being different minimum score for each job sAs far as the military is concerned, no sense training a soldier for a particular job if they don't have the natural aptitude for it.

You should also note that not only is there a minimum overall score, but jobs can also be based on individual section scores. So an applicant may score the bare minimum on the ASVAB, but may be able to get into a decent field if a critical section had a higher individual score.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
I took the test about 4 years ago. One of the last to take it out of the old paper book. I studied using the Kaplan ASVAB book. It seemed to work for me. Total of about 30 study hours. AFQT 96. Everthing else was 90 or above. Not bragging. I had to relearn long division before the test. Worth the $15. Many recruiters will have these books on hand as well as the library.

Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-ASVAB-Test-...pler+asvab
As an aptitude test, there is really no reason to study for the ASVAB. Most people who have completed high school will do relatively well. I recruited in eastern Kentucky and many applicants struggled with the test, but the schools there were a joke. In high school I took business math to avoid Algebra II and still scored an 89 overall on the ASVAB. It is really not a difficult test.
UptonSinclair Wrote:As an aptitude test, there is really no reason to study for the ASVAB. Most people who have completed high school will do relatively well. I recruited in eastern Kentucky and many applicants struggled with the test, but the schools there were a joke. In high school I took business math to avoid Algebra II and still scored an 89 overall on the ASVAB. It is really not a difficult test.

Some questions are pretty arcane. You could have great grades in high school and have no idea about some of the Shop or Auto questions. As a test that will determine nearly everything you are able to apply or qualify for later on in your career, it would be a very poor choice not to consider at least brushing up on some topics.

Free ASVAB Practice Tests | ASVAB Test Bank may be of interest to the OP.
For most students, I believe some of the mechanical questions may be some of the tougher ones since some students have never been exposed to tools, etc. The rest of the exam is tests basic knowledge. I thought it was incredibly easy when I took it many years ago, but some people are better at certain subjects than others ( I don't know the first thing about changing my brakes).

Most libraries will have good ASVAB study guides, or head over to Barnes and Noble and grab a cup of coffee and one of their asvab study guides if you need the additional help.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
If anyone else is still looking for ASVAB study material, please send me a PM. I'd be happy to help you out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Legion research study Alpha 3 1,500 10-28-2022, 07:42 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  AFOQT/ASTB audio book study material. morig 3 3,176 08-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: kodiak61
  Airforce ccaf - study.com retire2018 12 9,131 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Sagan
  Study resources for clep preppyboy 4 2,761 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  ASVAB Study Advice? Journeyk9 12 6,038 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Last Post: april004
  FEMA Independent Study online classes for military service with GED kbk1061 18 3,252 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Free practice test and study guides on ako tchaney88 0 1,242 06-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Last Post: tchaney88
  Definition of military family members for free study material? annaeli 3 2,216 12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Last Post: rameces
  How do Military Study for CLEP Exams? koichi 2 1,964 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: CLEP101