Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Johns Hopkins University AAP
mednat Wrote:I've looked at this program. For most people the price is not too high for a graduate degree from a school like JHU. For the prices we're accustomed to on this forum it may sound like a fortune, but when my fiance intended to focus on non-profit management my first choice was the JHU program. She's changed focus, but I still think the program looks great.

Things vary from person to person, and I wouldn't suggest it for someone needing a check the box degree. However, for someone new to a field that needs to impress with very little work history....a big name school doesn't hurt. When your resume is less than 1/4 of a page, it doesn't hurt to name drop.

It also doesn't hurt to have people who have worked in your new field being in your network and also helping you to get in. I intend to approach a few of my new professors when the time comes for professional references.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
cookderosa Wrote:"Pedigree" is the name and heritage of the school that make it prestigious. John Hopkins NAME has weight. I could drop you down in the middle of the rainforest or glacier, and people who have never been to USA or speak English all know what Harvard is. It's a joke, meaning you could pick up "any" degree for 7 grand (ish) but you're paying for the name.

That said, there are plenty of degrees on that list that don't lead to employment of ANY KIND, so buyer beware.

I looked at the cost of grad school differently, but each person should think "big picture" and obviously make their own mind up.
For me, I looked at undergrad + graduate = cost of my education. Since my undergrad was so cheap, I had no issues spending more on my graduate degree. My AA, BA, and MS together were less than what most people spend on the first 2 years of their BA.

In my opinion, since grad school is only 30ish credits and an undergrad is 120, you get significantly more bang for your buck spending as little money as possible on your undergrad and saving your money for the best graduate school for your field/profession.

^This.

I had spent nearly $11k on my BA at TESU, so in a way I felt I could do a little more on my Master's without breaking the bank. I will still graduate with less student debt than some who graduate from public Ivies like the University of Pennsylvania.

It is fun to see the reactions on people's faces when I tell them where I am attending grad school, and they see where I work. One of my jobs is in retail, so there is a bit of a disconnect in people's minds when they see me living in both worlds.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

120/120! I'm there!

" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
corpsole2 Wrote:^This.

I had spent nearly $11k on my BA at TESU, so in a way I felt I could do a little more on my Master's without breaking the bank. I will still graduate with less student debt than some who graduate from public Ivies like the University of Pennsylvania.

It is fun to see the reactions on people's faces when I tell them where I am attending grad school, and they see where I work. One of my jobs is in retail, so there is a bit of a disconnect in people's minds when they see me living in both worlds.

Not to derail the thread but can you explain a little more about your program?

How does security studies differ from let's say Cybersecurity. Maybe I am mistaken but it looks to have some Cyber policy related courses?

What kind of jobs are available for someone with that type of degree?

Will you be taking any classes in person?

How interactive is the online format. You said you have people from all walks of life are you required to do group projects with them?

It sounds like a really interesting degree.
My masters is in security studies. While some programs will throw in a cybersecurity course, it will be from the perspective of homeland security rather than IT/CS. Security studies, though, is a sub-field of international relations. It's a desired degree for intelligence positions.

I got close to being hired by the FBI for an intelligence position. I passed 2 of 3 phases. I'll only have to redo the 3rd phase if I apply again.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:My masters is in security studies. While some programs will throw in a cybersecurity course, it will be from the perspective of homeland security rather than IT/CS. Security studies, though, is a sub-field of international relations. It's a desired degree for intelligence positions.

I got close to being hired by the FBI for an intelligence position. I passed 2 of 3 phases. I'll only have to redo the 3rd phase if I apply again.

Cool! I don't have law enforcement experience, so I don't know if I could go as far as you if I apply to the FBI. I'd like to try, though.

120/120! I'm there!

yb1 Wrote:Not to derail the thread but can you explain a little more about your program?

How does security studies differ from let's say Cybersecurity. Maybe I am mistaken but it looks to have some Cyber policy related courses?

What kind of jobs are available for someone with that type of degree?

Will you be taking any classes in person?

How interactive is the online format. You said you have people from all walks of life are you required to do group projects with them?

It sounds like a really interesting degree.

It is a M.A. in Government, Security Studies. To people who ask, I usually say I am "studying national security." It is a subfield of International Relations, and focuses more on the security aspects of the field. Totally fascinating, and I have already met fascinating characters among my fellow students and professors.

120/120! I'm there!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 228 Today, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,057 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 270 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,454 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,310 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,296 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy