Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About the "new GI bill" and transferrability?
Does anyone know if the "new GI bill" will be transferrable? My husband, after 20 years in the Marines, has NO desire to go to school. However, there's me and 2 kids who could use it! (He didn't sign on for the original GI bill.)

Thanks for any input! If it's a yes, that's my masters right there!
COSC Student
Credits earned and applied: 91
Credits not yet applied: Clep: 6 FEMA: 3

Need to graduate:
20 Liberal Arts
Statistics
Oral Communication

Working on:
StraighterLine Criminal Justice & Intro to Nutrition
Misc FEMA credits
freeda Wrote:Does anyone know if the "new GI bill" will be transferrable? My husband, after 20 years in the Marines, has NO desire to go to school. However, there's me and 2 kids who could use it! (He didn't sign on for the original GI bill.)

Thanks for any input! If it's a yes, that's my masters right there!

"Each branch of the military has the sole discretion to determine whether that service will allow the transfer of benefits to dependents. VA does not have any authority to grant this option. Currently, the only branch of the military to allow transferability of benefits is the Army."

Sorry, but I know there is plenty of Spouse support programs that give out money for school. I would check out your local Education Center and see what they have to offer.
None of those programs are available for spouses of retirees. They assume we're all knitting grannies!! Far from it, most of us are second wives - therefore younger wives, generally.

Thanks though!
COSC Student
Credits earned and applied: 91
Credits not yet applied: Clep: 6 FEMA: 3

Need to graduate:
20 Liberal Arts
Statistics
Oral Communication

Working on:
StraighterLine Criminal Justice & Intro to Nutrition
Misc FEMA credits
The "New GI Bill" (Post 911 GI Bill), is transferrable. However, it has a service obligation, to be eligible to transfer it, and if your husband is already retired then he probably doesn't meet the qualifications. I copy and pasted this off of military.com. If u search GI Bill Home - (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) then you should be able to find the official information.

ELIGIBILITY – Only members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve on or after Aug. 1, 2009, can transfer new GI Bill benefits, and only spouse or to children or to any combination thereof. Immediate family status will be confirmed through the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System.

Unused benefits, up to the full 36 months, can be transferred. "You can give 36 months to one child or one month to 36 children," Clark quipped.

To transfer benefits, members must have served a minimum of six years and commit to serving four more from date benefit transfer is approved. However, exceptions – one permanent and five temporary -- will be allowed to the four-year added service requirement.

Here's a better link.

Transferring Education Benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
A.A.S Aviation Operations (Community College of the Air Force) April 2008
B.A. in History (Thomas Edison State College) March 2009

"To achieve the possible we must attempt the impossible, to be as much as we can be then we must dream of being more."
This is actually a nice step the army is doing, after the increase in funds and overall assistance for the GI Bill, they are allowing it to be transferred to immediate family. I've been an advocate of this for years, and it nearly got thru Congress since 99, the first year it was on the table. Now they got the few votes they needed to finally approve it.

Hurrah for gov't programs for vets and their families!!!!!!!
Does anyone know if the GI Bill will help pay on student loans that were accrued before the marriage, if all other requirements are met.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,326 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,975 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,318 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,850 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  GI Bill Dilemma Leherself 9 3,040 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,208 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,616 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  A word of caution if using Post 9/11 GI Bill Prloko 9 2,624 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  GI Bill or VRAP Transfers? SweetSecret 1 1,072 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: lawqueen04
  Gi bill certificate of eligibility superpotsky 2 1,018 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dposborne