Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accountability thread: there are many like it, but this one is mine :)
Notgodot Wrote:So while I was in the Army, I took a few CLEP tests. When I looked into getting them transfered to TESU, ETS (the company that administers the tests) informed me that they did not keep records beyond 20 years. I was unhappy, but buckled down to complete my degree from scratch.

Last night I stumbled across this:

https://www.goarmyed.com/public/public_p...ripts.aspx

The Army should have at least some of my transcripts, though records from before 1994 are apparently spotty/missing. If all of my CLEP scores show up, that's 24 credits, according to the TESU database: Humanities (6), English Comp (6), American Lit (6), and Anaysis & Interpretation of Lit (6). Plus whatever credits my actual service might earn me. Damn near a year's worth of credit.

Thoughts/prayers/good vibes/bribes in my name all are appreciated Smile

This may work if you can locate the old transcripts, however most schools want the actual transcript from CLEP. I know I am going to have to pay CLEP to send my scores to TESU when I apply because they are added to my CC transcript and TESU will not add them from that.

Just think though if you passed those CLEPs before you can pass them again!!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Oh, TESU accepts JST transcripts, the service that bundles all the military branches except the Air Force, as it is an ACE project like the Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem (ACPE).

I do wish I'd known about it sooner, but I haven't taken anything that is a direct duplication of what should be on the transcript, so it's all good.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Merry Christmas!

Been a while since I checked in here, so here I am, holding myself accountable Smile I can't remember exactly where I was last time I updated, but I'm standing at 45 credits right now, thanks mostly to Shmoop, where I am doing a speedrun through the world of literature. all that reading is finally paying off. I've passed five courses so far; I'm starting with the ones most likely to grant upper level credit at TESU. Contemporary lit has some serious issues with the unit tests, so I've decided to drop it, and Women's Lit has some sort of programming bug that wiped out all my progress at the end of Unit 4. I've put a ticket in; we'll see what happens. If it can't be resolved, I might just take the tests again, or say nah and move on. I've passed five courses in six days, and... I'm tired, boss. But money is tight, so I need to wring as much out of my month's subscription as I can. I wasted almost a week on the Contemporary Lit course. C'est la vie.

Moving over to Study.com, I'm supposed to be able to take the next test on December 27th. But when I visited the site today, it now says I have 4 exams I can take this month. Glitch? Christmas present? I think I'll try to take my Earth Science and Geology exams tomorrow, and see what happens.

Saylor: I did not cover myself in glory with the Western Political Thought exam. I relied too much on the practice exams, and wasn't prepared for a test where 100% of the questions were different. 58% and a cautionary tale, I suppose. I'll try again next month.

Finally, TESU still hasn't evaluated my JST (military) transcript. With the holidays, I doubt I'll find out until after January 3rd at the earliest. I'm hoping for 24-27 credits, but not counting on any, since I myself don't have the transcript and don't know what the army sent TESU.

And that's all the news for this instalment.

Notgodot Wrote:Merry Christmas!

Been a while since I checked in here, so here I am, holding myself accountable Smile I can't remember exactly where I was last time I updated, but I'm standing at 45 credits right now, thanks mostly to Shmoop, where I am doing a speedrun through the world of literature. all that reading is finally paying off. I've passed five courses so far; I'm starting with the ones most likely to grant upper level credit at TESU. Contemporary lit has some serious issues with the unit tests, so I've decided to drop it, and Women's Lit has some sort of programming bug that wiped out all my progress at the end of Unit 4. I've put a ticket in; we'll see what happens. If it can't be resolved, I might just take the tests again, or say nah and move on. I've passed five courses in six days, and... I'm tired, boss. But money is tight, so I need to wring as much out of my month's subscription as I can. I wasted almost a week on the Contemporary Lit course. C'est la vie.

Moving over to Study.com, I'm supposed to be able to take the next test on December 27th. But when I visited the site today, it now says I have 4 exams I can take this month. Glitch? Christmas present? I think I'll try to take my Earth Science and Geology exams tomorrow, and see what happens.

Saylor: I did not cover myself in glory with the Western Political Thought exam. I relied too much on the practice exams, and wasn't prepared for a test where 100% of the questions were different. 58% and a cautionary tale, I suppose. I'll try again next month.

Finally, TESU still hasn't evaluated my JST (military) transcript. With the holidays, I doubt I'll find out until after January 3rd at the earliest. I'm hoping for 24-27 credits, but not counting on any, since I myself don't have the transcript and don't know what the army sent TESU.

And that's all the news for this instalment.

You are doing an AMAZING job! :coolgleam:

Btw, not sure what happened with your study.com tests, but I took one yesterday and thus should have one left. I just popped over to see if they had gifted me any extra, and discovered I still have exactly one left. So nope for me :p
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Wow, I am so impressed at your getting through so many literature classes so quickly, Notgodot! Are you working on an English major? Or Liberal Studies? It would be great if you could use those CLEPs plus Shmoop to complete an English major. And all of those in one month, just amazing!

Just read backthread, you are doing a BA Liberal Studies, but I still think you should run your courses through the TESU "What If?" machine to see if the Shmoops would give you a BA in English. Smile
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Mamasaphire Wrote:You are doing an AMAZING job! :coolgleam:

Btw, not sure what happened with your study.com tests, but I took one yesterday and thus should have one left. I just popped over to see if they had gifted me any extra, and discovered I still have exactly one left. So nope for me :p

Yeah, I'm thinking something went wrong at Study.com HQ Smile I should definitely have 4 exams left on my Guardian scholarship, but available to take right now? Not so much.

KayV Wrote:Wow, I am so impressed at your getting through so many literature classes so quickly, Notgodot! Are you working on an English major? Or Liberal Studies? It would be great if you could use those CLEPs plus Shmoop to complete an English major. And all of those in one month, just amazing!

Just read backthread, you are doing a BA Liberal Studies, but I still think you should run your courses through the TESU "What If?" machine to see if the Shmoops would give you a BA in English. Smile

Once I turn the Shmoop credits in, I'll schedule a proper evaluation. I don't know where to get the Nonwestern Literature requirement (Can't really make a case for any of the Shmoop courses to cover it), and I'm actually sort of confused about the Survey of Literature I and II as well, which is why I settled for the BALS Humanities concentration. Everything else, I think Shmoop courses would cover (assuming we can get the prospective UL courses to count as 300-400 level courses).

Wouldn't it be great to have a route to an English degree?

I just wanted to mention that Earth Science and Geology duplicate according to ACE. Click on one of the classes and go to the very end where it says 'credit recommendation.' You might not want to waste an exam.

ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
Your CLEP American Literature (6) should fulfill the survey requirement.
TESU defines non-Western literature as such:
"Non-Western literature generally refers to writings by people in any culture or country except those of Western Europe, Ancient Greece, and the United States."
You could try asking if Bible as Literature would fulfill the non-western literature component (I know it's very iffy, but it wouldn't hurt to ask).
Paging Study and Shmoop: We need an obvious non-Western literature course, like African Lit or a course called Non-Western Literature. Pretty please.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
OakLakeNC Wrote:I just wanted to mention that Earth Science and Geology duplicate according to ACE. Click on one of the classes and go to the very end where it says 'credit recommendation.' You might not want to waste an exam.

ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training

Yes, I was worried about that, so I checked with TESU before I started. They count them as separate courses, which is great for us non-science people Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation My very own "I'm Finished!!!" thread boalex207 13 2,525 06-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: topdog98
Question My Accountability Thread tobyisking 3 1,461 04-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Last Post: tobyisking
  I finally get to create this thread...! Joeman200 9 1,953 03-17-2018, 09:18 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Crouchie's Accountability Thread bjcheung77 2 1,077 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,351 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  In 35yrs & <30 days I Can Almost See the Finish Line (Accountability/Gratitude) studiousimp 7 2,609 08-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Last Post: studiousimp
  My I'm done thread!!! hed1979 9 2,446 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Last Post: jlearn25
  Another "need advice please" thread :) LifeWith6 4 1,506 05-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My BA is Official Thread... and a BIG Thanks! Mamasaphire 22 2,554 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Last Post: cypster
  TESU business degree plan (thread probably exists, just not finding it) Kjnova 9 2,370 02-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Last Post: inkleind