Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Composition HELP
Hey guys,
I am taking the College Comp. test Friday and I feel like I'm going to do horribly. I took the Peterson's practice test and got 68%. What should I be focusing on the most? I had taken the Analyzing and interpreting literature test a while back and got a 56 I think. Super low, I know. I'm just worried that if I had done so bad on that test Ill most probably do much worse on this test, as this one is only a more difficult version of that one. Thanks for the answers before hand! Any help is appreciated!
Mrs.B94 Wrote:Hey guys,
I am taking the College Comp. test Friday and I feel like I'm going to do horribly. I took the Peterson's practice test and got 68%. What should I be focusing on the most? I had taken the Analyzing and interpreting literature test a while back and got a 56 I think. Super low, I know. I'm just worried that if I had done so bad on that test Ill most probably do much worse on this test, as this one is only a more difficult version of that one. Thanks for the answers before hand! Any help is appreciated!

56 is a pass, that's the important part. Smile

Do the Peterson practice tests give you feedback so you know which areas to work on?
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
I believe any practice tests for this exam do not give you any feedback on your written essays (there are two of them on the actual exam), so the scores you are seeing on the Peterson practice tests are for the multiple-choice questions. Have you been practicing with the essay portion? You will have a time limit for each of the essay sections (one is 40 minutes and one is 30 minutes). Do you have the option to reschedule to a later test date so that you don't feel so stressed?
I did not have time to check the factsheet, but hopefully checking out a few of these topics will help you with writing essays. It's not that hard, know your audience, structure your sentences/paragraphs well and document. In my opinion, writing a well structured, grammatically correct short essay is much better than rambling nonsense with tons of errors. I agree, if you are not ready, take a bit more time to prepare. Good luck!

Eng Comp 1 Guidelines for Essays (Source: www.ivcc.edu)

Purdue Owl Writing Lab:
[URL="http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/737/01/"]Writing Essays for Exams
[/URL][URL="http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/688/1/"]Understanding Writing Assignments
[/URL]Introductions, Body Paragraphs, and Conclusions for an Argument Paper
MLA Formatting and Style Guide

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Hi,
I just took this test last month and got a 58. I was hoping for higher, but that is not too bad. You should be just fine if you know basic grammar and revision skills. You should also know how to cite and reference sources. If you know that you will be just fine on the multiple choice. For the essays the only thing that I can recommend is practice, practice, practice. You can find SAT prompts online; google will bring up what you need. I timed myself and wrote an essay everyday for a week and a half. That practice made all the difference in the world for me on the essays. As was said above, if you can reschedule I'd highly recommend it. If you don't think you can pass just study some more and take the test a little later. It will be worth it!

Sincerely in the Lord,
Isaiah McKinney
First, get good grammar down. That means to make sure you're doing well on the MC parts of the Petersons (based on your score I'd say a little more practice is needed on those to try to get your score up to 80% or more). Then practice, practice, practice writing essays. Good, coherent, solid 5-paragraph essays, in under 30 minutes.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,171 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,521 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,915 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 226 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 491 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 379 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 717 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 204 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 242 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 209 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor