Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accounting courses ultimate goal cpa
(06-24-2019, 01:37 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:36 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:13 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 03:26 PM)sanantone Wrote: WGU is strict about the undergrad requirement for the MS. You have to have an undergraduate degree in accounting. Getting the BS and MS would be overkill since you only need 20 credits.

If someone wants to be a CPA, depending on how competitive in his/her area of the country, a full BS and then an MS is not a terrible idea, and definitely not overkill.  Getting more than you need now, for not a ton of money, may make it much easier to get a better job, and even make it much easier to study for the CPA exam.

At a minimum, since the OP already has an MBA, they may have a huge waiver for courses at WGU, and so they may not need a lot more than 30cr in the first place.  If that's the case, it might be really, really easy to finish the BS in Accounting in a single term.  Why stop at 20cr when you can get the degree for no extra money?

It depends on how much money the OP wants to spend. CSU Global has ACBSP accreditation, and their SSAs are $250. For 21 credits, that would be a total of $1750.

That's a good option, assuming the OP didn't already take some of those courses, and there might not be enough new non-duplicating courses to put on a transcript.

If the OP already took those courses, he/she would already have all of the required accounting credits. CSU Global offers what WGU offers plus a few more options.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-24-2019, 01:42 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:37 AM)dfrecore Wrote: That's a good option, assuming the OP didn't already take some of those courses, and there might not be enough new non-duplicating courses to put on a transcript.

If the OP already took those courses, he/she would already have all of the required accounting credits. CSU Global offers what WGU offers plus a few more options.

Since the OP said "add 20cr" I'm assuming it's 20cr on top of accounting credits already earned.  So some of those might have been taken already.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-24-2019, 01:50 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:37 AM)dfrecore Wrote: That's a good option, assuming the OP didn't already take some of those courses, and there might not be enough new non-duplicating courses to put on a transcript.

Since the OP said "add 20cr" I'm assuming it's 20cr on top of accounting credits already earned.  So some of those might have been taken already.

It means that the OP doesn't have many accounting credits because he/she didn't major in accounting. Typically, around 30 accounting credits are required to sit for the CPA exam. With me, for example, I have nine accounting credits that I used toward my BSBA. I would need 21 more credits. 

CSU Global offers more accounting courses than WGU does, so I don't why this is only being brought up in regards to CSU Global. CSU Global offers 13 accounting SSAs. Seven of those SSAs are UL. CSU Global offers 39 accounting credits at the undergraduate level, and WGU offers 30.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-24-2019, 02:01 AM)sanantone Wrote:

It means that the OP doesn't have many accounting credits because he/she didn't major in accounting. Typically, around 30 accounting credits are required to sit for the CPA exam. With me, for example, I have nine accounting credits that I used toward my BSBA. I would need 21 more credits. 

CSU Global offers more accounting courses than WGU does, so I don't why this is only being brought up in regards to CSU Global. CSU Global offers 13 accounting SSAs. Seven of those SSAs are UL. CSU Global offers 39 accounting credits at the undergraduate level, and WGU offers 30.

OMG, I do not know why we're fighting over this!  The OP is free to take whatever advice they want to, I don't care, I'm just offering options.  I don't have a dog in this hunt, I don't get paid a commission if the OP takes exams at CSU-Global or gets a full BS in Accounting at WGU.

OP, do whatever you'd like!!  Lots of options, pick the one that works best for you now and in the future.  Good luck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-24-2019, 06:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

OMG, I do not know why we're fighting over this!  The OP is free to take whatever advice they want to, I don't care, I'm just offering options.  I don't have a dog in this hunt, I don't get paid a commission if the OP takes exams at CSU-Global or gets a full BS in Accounting at WGU.

OP, do whatever you'd like!!  Lots of options, pick the one that works best for you now and in the future.  Good luck.

I'm not fighting, but okay.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

The price is right on the SSAs but CSU is telling me they don't offer them anymore as of July.  I am looking into bs accounting at WGU and I'll update later with how they transfer in my TESU bsba which was heavily tested out.  I have some undergrad/ master's accounting courses but not enough to satisfy my state's requirements.  

APUS  cost per credit per hour is $270, which isn't terrible. 

The credit bank at TESU- how does this work?  I wonder if this is an option to try for an undergrad certificate.  
Thanks for your help.
(06-24-2019, 07:03 PM)Motivated2move Wrote: ...
The credit bank at TESU- how does this work?  I wonder if this is an option to try for an undergrad certificate.  
Thanks for your help.

You get your credits by the various methods (Study.com, SL, Davar, OnlineDegree, etc...) we talk about here to get the requisite accounting credits. You pay TESU $300 for one year of the credit bank service of processing transfer courses and placing them on their transcript. You then send TESU all the alternative credits you've earned. Once that's done send the resulting transcript to the state board along with your other transcripts.

Using alternative credit this way works for a lot of states, but it's not universal. You need to do the research to make sure that your state board will accept ACE/NCCRS credits on a TESU transcript.

If you want to get a certificate, you have to become a student and take at least half of the credits directly from TESU. I don't recommend it as it will be pretty expensive.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,771 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,765 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 733 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 570 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 677 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 298 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 576 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,516 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77