Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accounting questions
Hello everyone!

A few questions for anyone who has completed, or is in the process of completing the UMPI Bachelor of Accounting.

I am now enrolled at UMPI and waiting for my transcripts to roll in and the degree audit for the bachelor of accounting program. Fingers crossed but I think I have all of my electives and general education credits taken care of. Of the Accounting major listed below I have bolded the courses I have completed through other providers. Courses in the front half without bold print are the ones I'm expecting to need to take with UMPI.

BUS 376: Independent Auditing
BUS 377: Federal Taxation I
BUS 378: Federal Taxation II
BUS 1XX: Principles of Accounting II
BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing
BUS 325: Financial Management
BUS 352: Business Law II
BUS 4XX: Accounting Information Systems
BUS 4XXa: Governmental and Not-for Profit Accounting
BUS 4XXb: Advanced Accounting II
BUS 469: Strategic Professional Communication
BUS 101: Introduction to Business Intro to Business
BUS 150: Introduction to Financial AccountingSophia Accounting
BUS 220: Managerial Accounting - Accounting 102 - Intro to Managerial Accounting INSTANTCERT
BUS 350: Business Law ISophia Business Law
BUS 353: Legal & Ethical Environment of BusinessBusiness 310: Advanced Business EthicsSDC
BUS 361: Intermediate Accounting I Accounting 201: Intermediate Accounting ISDC-
BUS 362: Intermediate Accounting II - Accounting 202: Intermediate Accounting II SDC-
BUS 415: Operations Management - Business 312: Advanced Operations Management SDC
BUS 464: Advanced Accounting-Accounting 302: Advanced Accounting SDC
COM 210: Organizational Communication - Sophia Conflict Resolution
ECO 207: Macro & Micro Economics - Sophia Micro and Macro

I've just missed the cutoff for the October session and it looks like I'll be slated for a January 18th start.  I think I've completed most of the courses that I can in preparation for UMPI but wanted to ask anyone else who has taken this program if they have any input on things I can do to better prepare myself. So far I've started by searching out some Youtube videos and Excel tutorials to brush up on accounting fundamentals. I had no issues with any of the previous accounting courses through Sophia or Study.com but feel like the review wouldn't hurt. 

If anyone has resources that they think of I would love to hear of them. I'm open to anything from videos you came across that were great, additional courses, or even book/textbook sources that I could purchase in the meantime to allow me to really hit the ground running in January. 

Also, a couple of random questions that my advisor didn't know the answer to;

What methods of payment does UMPI accept? I'm paying out of pocket from Canada and ideally would love it if they could take my credit card information as dealing with exchange rates can be a bit of a chore.

It was mentioned by my advisor that I will be learning Quickbooks. I am wondering if this means that I will need to be purchasing this program? I'm familiar with Sage, but Quickbooks is new and if I'm expected to get it anyhow I may opt to get a head start on that end of things.

Thanks very much for any input!

S
lidel Wrote:What methods of payment does UMPI accept? I'm paying out of pocket from Canada and ideally would love it if they could take my credit card information as dealing with exchange rates can be a bit of a chore.

Credit card should work just fine, if it doesn't for some reason, reach Lynnelle from fin department for help.

lidel Wrote:It was mentioned by my advisor that I will be learning Quickbooks. I am wondering if this means that I will need to be purchasing this program? I'm familiar with Sage, but Quickbooks is new and if I'm expected to get it anyhow I may opt to get a head start on that end of things.

As a student, you are entitled to get a 1-year free trial. If you already have your maine.edu address, you can sign up here:

https://www.intuit.com/partners/educatio...bo-signup/
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • Pikachu
Firstly, you are working from an older, inaccurate list of courses. There are classes, including principles of accounting ii and accounting info systems, that are not on the current degree plan.   Check the YourPace website for the current list.

Secondly, as far as payment goes, I have used a bank transfer/e-check/debit (no charge) and put a term on a credit card (service fee of around 2.5%, if memory serves).

Finally, I have taken multiple UMPI accounting classes. None have used or taught QuickBooks. Perhaps this is being integrated into the curriculum, but don’t be shocked if you don’t use it either.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
Also, if you are planning to sit for CPA exam in the future, I would recommend to take as many accounting courses though college (not alt providers) as possible. Typically a board wants to see ~24 hours of upper level accounting classes (some states require as little as 15 credits, others >30, YMMV).

freeloader/ Wrote:Finally, I have taken multiple UMPI accounting classes. None have used or taught QuickBooks. Perhaps this is being integrated into the curriculum, but don’t be shocked if you don’t use it either.

I guess you are allowed to use QuickBooks to work on your assignments, but Excel will do too.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
(10-13-2021, 04:23 PM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote:
lidel Wrote:What methods of payment does UMPI accept? I'm paying out of pocket from Canada and ideally would love it if they could take my credit card information as dealing with exchange rates can be a bit of a chore.

Credit card should work just fine, if it doesn't for some reason, reach Lynnelle from fin department for help.

lidel Wrote:It was mentioned by my advisor that I will be learning Quickbooks. I am wondering if this means that I will need to be purchasing this program? I'm familiar with Sage, but Quickbooks is new and if I'm expected to get it anyhow I may opt to get a head start on that end of things.

As a student, you are entitled to get a 1-year free trial. If you already have your maine.edu address, you can sign up here:

https://www.intuit.com/partners/educatio...bo-signup/
Thanks for the information regarding credit cards and Quickbooks. I'll have a look at QuickBooks, been looking for an excuse for years to learn it and this may be the time.

(10-13-2021, 04:26 PM)freeloader Wrote: Firstly, you are working from an older, inaccurate list of courses. There are classes, including principles of accounting ii and accounting info systems, that are not on the current degree plan.   Check the YourPace website for the current list.

Secondly, as far as payment goes, I have used a bank transfer/e-check/debit (no charge) and put a term on a credit card (service fee of around 2.5%, if memory serves).

Finally, I have taken multiple UMPI accounting classes. None have used or taught QuickBooks. Perhaps this is being integrated into the curriculum, but don’t be shocked if you don’t use it either.

Thanks for the heads up on the courses. I did my list about three months back and was surprised that it had already changed up so quickly.  If I'm reading it correctly the course changes should only ad one more course than I had originally estimated.

The lady who was reviewing the degree information on the phone sounded like she was reading a script about the course content so I'll take it with a grain of salt.
(10-13-2021, 04:54 PM)lidel Wrote: The lady who was reviewing the degree information on the phone sounded like she was reading a script about the course content so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

The enrollment counselors are not UMPI employees. They are farmed out and I really don't know why they use them because my dog knows more about how YourPace works than those people! When I started last year, they weren't like this. I don't know what changed, but it wasn't for the better.
(10-13-2021, 09:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 04:54 PM)lidel Wrote: The lady who was reviewing the degree information on the phone sounded like she was reading a script about the course content so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

The enrollment counselors are not UMPI employees. They are farmed out and I really don't know why they use them because my dog knows more about how YourPace works than those people! When I started last year, they weren't like this. I don't know what changed, but it wasn't for the better.

The spirit of the call was to make sure I had all the information that I needed to get started, but I think the core reason was for the question near the end asking if I knew of anyone who I could refer to their university for studies. It left me feeling a little like it was a sales call. Universities are businesses too I guess. The counsellor was very nice and seemed genuinely interested in giving me support prior to enrolling, but I feel like as soon as I begin the program her role is finished.
(10-13-2021, 10:56 PM)lidel Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 09:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

The spirit of the call was to make sure I had all the information that I needed to get started, but I think the core reason was for the question near the end asking if I knew of anyone who I could refer to their university for studies. It left me feeling a little like it was a sales call. Universities are businesses too I guess. The counsellor was very nice and seemed genuinely interested in giving me support prior to enrolling, but I feel like as soon as I begin the program her role is finished.

Once you're accepted, you won't hear fro the enrollment counselors again. They're only there for the application process.
Side question from an over-excited nerd.

I've been accepted, and I know my courses and still have two months until the start date. I've been doing some independent studies for learning and brushing up on things and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to dig up the textbooks for the courses I will be taking and begin a little reading in advance. 

I figured I would ask first before giving this a go as I imagine that the textbooks are rather lengthy and I could potentially end up reading scads of stuff that won't even be covered in the courses. If this is the case I'll just try to chill out but I thought there would be no harm in asking some of the previous and current alumni how textbook-dependent the YourPace system is.

As always, thanks for any input!!

S
(11-25-2021, 07:29 PM)lidel Wrote: Side question from an over-excited nerd.

I've been accepted, and I know my courses and still have two months until the start date. I've been doing some independent studies for learning and brushing up on things and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to dig up the textbooks for the courses I will be taking and begin a little reading in advance. 

I figured I would ask first before giving this a go as I imagine that the textbooks are rather lengthy and I could potentially end up reading scads of stuff that won't even be covered in the courses. If this is the case I'll just try to chill out but I thought there would be no harm in asking some of the previous and current alumni how textbook-dependent the YourPace system is.

As always, thanks for any input!!

S

There are no textbooks. CBE programs utilize self contained learning platforms. Everything you'll need for your course content is contained in the learning platform.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What accounting classes require exams or paper? I have 11 classes left Sarajane 7 388 04-20-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Sarajane
  Questions regarding international admissions. kjhkjh2001 11 566 03-19-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Questions about course selection beikaRAY 2 222 03-01-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS PM - Changing Major - Questions Gijaodola 6 555 02-26-2024, 05:51 PM
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 647 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Transfer credit help needed - UMPI for BA in Accounting Sarajane 15 1,840 02-06-2024, 07:12 PM
  Advanced Accounting anthony3070 1 322 01-25-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  radicallena - UMPI Questions radicallena 14 2,069 01-04-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Accounting 301: Applied Managerial Accounting FM1 13 1,072 12-19-2023, 09:18 PM
  Advanced accounting anthony3070 0 347 12-15-2023, 06:35 AM
Last Post: anthony3070