Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accrediting Council for Independent College and Schools
(03-12-2021, 10:03 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 05:55 AM)bitherlord Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 04:16 PM)bitherlord Wrote: I can't believe how many weird ****** up schools there are in the USA that are allowed to operate. From profit schools (first time hearing of those) to boarding schools who abuse Speed Testteenagers...

Man, I can't believe how many weird ****** up schools there are in the USA that are allowed to operate. From profit schools (first time hearing of those) to boarding schools who abuse teenagers...

I'm not sure which schools you're talking about but I don't know that anyone is actually in favor of schools abusing children.  Where is that coming from?
Bitherlord may have in mind journal articles like this: 
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10...0619900514

Or perhaps Paris Hilton's widely publicized claims - on Youtube and other media.
(03-12-2021, 12:07 PM)Johann Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 10:03 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 05:55 AM)bitherlord Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 04:16 PM)bitherlord Wrote: I can't believe how many weird ****** up schools there are in the USA that are allowed to operate. From profit schools (first time hearing of those) to boarding schools who abuse Speed Testteenagers...

Man, I can't believe how many weird ****** up schools there are in the USA that are allowed to operate. From profit schools (first time hearing of those) to boarding schools who abuse teenagers...

I'm not sure which schools you're talking about but I don't know that anyone is actually in favor of schools abusing children.  Where is that coming from?
Bitherlord may have in mind journal articles like this: 
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10...0619900514

Or perhaps Paris Hilton's widely publicized claims - on Youtube and other media.
Yes, well OK.  But you don't have to go to a private boarding school to find sexual abuse of students.  It seems like not a month goes by without a story about some public school teacher having sex with a student.  I guess I'm just not sure why it came up in this particular thread.  It really doesn't matter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alpha's post:
  • Johann, ss20ts
Alpha: "I guess I'm just not sure why it came up in this particular thread. It really doesn't matter."

Johann: "I agree. I think the topic should have its own thread. It has nothing to do with ACICS, which is what this thread is all about. Anyone interested is, I imagine, free to start one."
Looks like ACICS is really on the ropes this time. The de-recognition flag has been raised again. NACIQI have forwarded recommendation to de-recognize once more. ACCET, ACCSC an' them needn't put in too many extra phone lines for schools jumping ship from the S.S. ACICS. There are now only 59 ACICS-accredited schools left. (260-odd when everything hit the fan the first time, IIRC.) ACICS will face a decision by Miguel Cardona, Sec. of Education. If he concurs with the recommendation of NACIQI, ACICS will probably appeal the decision, then take to the courts if they are unsuccessful. If their recognition is taken away, ACICS could continue as an unrecognized accreditor, but their schools would not have the almighty access to Title IV funding, so...if that happens, I forecast a brisk trade in shutters (or curtains) at the local home improvement store.

It's all here. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2021...oked-again
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-15-2021, 02:15 PM)Johann Wrote: Looks like ACICS is really on the ropes this time. The de-recognition flag has been raised again. NACIQI have forwarded recommendation to de-recognize once more. ACCET, ACCSC an' them needn't put in too many extra phone lines for schools jumping ship from the  S.S. ACICS. There are now only 59 ACICS-accredited schools left. (260-odd when everything hit the fan the last time.) ACICS will face a decision by Miguel Cardona, Sec. of Education. If he concurs with the recommendation of NACIQI, ACICS will probably take to the courts. If their recognition is taken away, they could continue as an unrecognized accreditor, but their schools would not have the almighty access to Title IV funding, so...

I like how the article ends with a quote that there should be more scrutiny about the accreditors. That person isn't wrong. There are some schools that are accredited that you wonder about. They've had YEARS of problems. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Johann
(03-11-2021, 04:16 PM)bitherlord Wrote: I can't believe how many weird ****** up schools there are in the USA that are allowed to operate. From profit schools (first time hearing of those) to boarding schools who abuse teenagers...

I'm sure there are zero f'd up schools in Europe, Latin America, Asia, etc. that abuse kids...SMH

I seem to recall Oprah's school for girls in Africa had to shut down because of abuse...

Christopher Hitchens talks about all of the rape both by older boys and teachers at the boarding schools there.  It probably still goes on, but it was to be expected - built your character or some such nonsense.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-15-2021, 02:22 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 02:15 PM)Johann Wrote: Looks like ACICS is really on the ropes this time. The de-recognition flag has been raised again. NACIQI have forwarded recommendation to de-recognize once more. ACCET, ACCSC an' them needn't put in too many extra phone lines for schools jumping ship from the  S.S. ACICS. There are now only 59 ACICS-accredited schools left. (260-odd when everything hit the fan the last time.) ACICS will face a decision by Miguel Cardona, Sec. of Education. If he concurs with the recommendation of NACIQI, ACICS will probably take to the courts. If their recognition is taken away, they could continue as an unrecognized accreditor, but their schools would not have the almighty access to Title IV funding, so...

I like how the article ends with a quote that there should be more scrutiny about the accreditors. That person isn't wrong. There are some schools that are accredited that you wonder about. They've had YEARS of problems. 

One of their "accredited schools" is a 10-minute walk from me. And I've never heard of it.
(03-15-2021, 04:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I seem to recall Oprah's school for girls in Africa had to shut down because of abuse...

Christopher Hitchens talks about all of the rape both by older boys and teachers at the boarding schools there.  It probably still goes on, but it was to be expected - built your character or some such nonsense.

Oprah's school was shut down for abuse? That's crazy! She was horribly abused as a child so I would have thought she would have gone to the end of the earth to make sure there was no abuse at her school. Wow. I'm really surprised to hear this. 

ETA: Did some Googling and the school is still open. There was an abuse case back in 2007 and Oprah flew to Africa to take care of it. She brought in the right people to investigate. The person responsible was criminally prosecuted which does seem to be a rare thing in boarding schools unfortunately.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah_Winf..._for_Girls

(03-15-2021, 05:28 PM)monchevy Wrote: One of their "accredited schools" is a 10-minute walk from me. And I've never heard of it.

There's a college within 10 minutes of you and you've never heard of it? That's just sad! Makes you wonder if it's one of those only exists in an office colleges they have accredited. Really they did that. The school was literally an office without a single student. Not even sure how that's a college!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • monchevy
(03-15-2021, 05:30 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 04:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I seem to recall Oprah's school for girls in Africa had to shut down because of abuse...

Oprah's school was shut down for abuse? That's crazy! She was horribly abused as a child so I would have thought she would have gone to the end of the earth to make sure there was no abuse at her school. Wow. I'm really surprised to hear this. 

ETA: Did some Googling and the school is still open. There was an abuse case back in 2007 and Oprah flew to Africa to take care of it. She brought in the right people to investigate. The person responsible was criminally prosecuted which does seem to be a rare thing in boarding schools unfortunately.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah_Winf..._for_Girls

(03-15-2021, 05:28 PM)monchevy Wrote: One of their "accredited schools" is a 10-minute walk from me. And I've never heard of it.

There's a college within 10 minutes of you and you've never heard of it? That's just sad! Makes you wonder if it's one of those only exists in an office colleges they have accredited. Really they did that. The school was literally an office without a single student. Not even sure how that's a college!

Seems it's on the second floor of a two-story building, directly above a nail salon and Chinese restaurant. No signage.
(03-16-2021, 08:43 AM)monchevy Wrote: Seems it's on the second floor of a two-story building, directly above a nail salon and Chinese restaurant. No signage.
Why would an online school need anything more than a small administration office?  You must realize that almost all the instructors in almost all online schools work out of their homes?  I don't even see a problem when the administration office is in someone's home.  It's 2021.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,205 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,562 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,953 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 449 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 245 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 406 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 742 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 211 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP