Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accruing credits - Dumb question
Okay, so I'm no longer formally enrolled at Charter Oak and I don't really want to pay to be enrolled again till I have some more credits knocked out. Will the school apply any of the DSST credits to my transcript (once I take them later this month), or will I have wait till I'm ready to get my enrollment reinstated in order for my DSST credits to show up???

Normally you can type in the school code for the DSST tests and the scores are processed within days...but I'm not really sure how that will work with not being a current student.

Note: I can still log into my Acorn portal and see my grades, plus still have access to my email. But I'm pretty sure they are going to make me have to go through some additional paperwork since I took a year long break.

Any suggestions? Can I just enroll again and not have to pay a bunch of crazy fees while I'm racking up credits? Or should I take the tests and not worry about this until it's time?

I'm rambling, so let me know if this makes ANY sense at all. Lol.
ArtGurl Wrote:Okay, so I'm no longer formally enrolled at Charter Oak and I don't really want to pay to be enrolled again till I have some more credits knocked out. Will the school apply any of the DSST credits to my transcript (once I take them later this month), or will I have wait till I'm ready to get my enrollment reinstated in order for my DSST credits to show up???

Normally you can type in the school code for the DSST tests and the scores are processed within days...but I'm not really sure how that will work with not being a current student.

Note: I can still log into my Acorn portal and see my grades, plus still have access to my email. But I'm pretty sure they are going to make me have to go through some additional paperwork since I took a year long break.

Any suggestions? Can I just enroll again and not have to pay a bunch of crazy fees while I'm racking up credits? Or should I take the tests and not worry about this until it's time?

I'm rambling, so let me know if this makes ANY sense at all. Lol.

Just take the credits on your own before enrolling. No need to rack up the semester fee each semester when you already know what you want to do unless you know yo think you're going to be graduating in under 6 months.
I'm no longer enrolled at COSC. When I was speaking with my adviser before withdrawing, she knew that I was considering taking a class that I would later transfer back to COSC when I re-enrolled and she did not say anything about additional fees. I didn't specifically ask and I'm assuming there would be some fee. I'm concerned that it may be the $245 per semester enrollment fee or even worse some formula that involves multiple semester fees. I'm at least a year away from possibly re-enrolling and may not do it at all depending on my TESC credit evaluation.

The only thing I could find on the website was on an old newsletter. https://www.charteroak.edu/news/updatene...h-2012.pdf "Students who return to the college after withdrawing will be required to re-enroll according to the College’s re-entry policy and will be subject to any new academic policies and re-enrollment fees that are in effect at the time of re-enrollment. "
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:I'm no longer enrolled at COSC. When I was speaking with my adviser before withdrawing, she knew that I was considering taking a class that I would later transfer back to COSC when I re-enrolled and she did not say anything about additional fees. I didn't specifically ask and I'm assuming there would be some fee. I'm concerned that it may be the $245 per semester enrollment fee or even worse some formula that involves multiple semester fees. I'm at least a year away from possibly re-enrolling and may not do it at all depending on my TESC credit evaluation.

The only thing I could find on the website was on an old newsletter. https://www.charteroak.edu/news/updatene...h-2012.pdf "Students who return to the college after withdrawing will be required to re-enroll according to the College’s re-entry policy and will be subject to any new academic policies and re-enrollment fees that are in effect at the time of re-enrollment. "

Thanks for the info! That's what I'm concerned about as well. Really don't have the $245 dollars to keep paying the school while I'm racking up the credits. On the flipside, I'm hoping that my concentration plan is still good.
It doesn't hurt to have your transcripts sent to them even if you are not enrolled. Worst case senario, you will need to order transcripts from CLEP and DSST once you re-enroll. The transcripts you order will include all of the exams you have taken. DSST transcripts cost $30 and CLEP transcripts cost $20. It is a fairly painless process.
That's a good point, UptonSinclair. It's much cheaper to have to order copies of the transcripts than have to pay the enrollment fees. Definitely don't want to pay nearly $300 for enrollment, especially since I've not taken the tests just yet. If something happened where I couldn't take the tests, then I'd be out that money. Thanks for the info!
I think the main question would be what catalog year / academic policies would apply to you when you come back? Every school has different rules for that sort of thing. For some, if you don't take classes for a year, then when you come back you have to apply all over again and any policy changes that have taken place since you left would now apply to you - so, for instance, if you currently had a GRE subject exam that counted for credit, or FEMA credits, or whatever, and when you came back COSC no longer allowed those things... you could be SOL.

No idea what COSC's policies are there. Just mentioning that it might be worth looking up and seeing if there's maybe some sort of timeframe you want to keep in mind.

On the other hand, if you don't have any oddball credit - maybe you've just got RA credit and CLEP & DSSTs - then there might not be much of a risk even if the rules did change. And sometimes the changes can even be in your favor.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
Leherself Wrote:No idea what COSC's policies are there. Just mentioning that it might be worth looking up and seeing if there's maybe some sort of timeframe you want to keep in mind.

It would be the catalog / policies at the time of re-enrollment. Or at least that is the info I found from 2012 that I posted below.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

You are always subject to the catalog at the time you enroll. So if you go back later, it will be the most current catalog. As I posted in other thread, I was saved by staying enrolled at Excelsior because they made huge changes during my enrollment time.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,085 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,220 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,618 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,957 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,943 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM