Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adieu. Aufwiedersehen. Gesundheit. Farewell.
(01-18-2020, 04:11 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: I just find the whole story unfortunate. Jennifer has done so much for this forum, to leave it on that note leaves a sour taste, no matter the reason.

On a slightly happier note, her posts are back to 2,800+. Initially, they were at 10,000+, then went down to less than 200, and now back up somewhat. Clearly, she must have been reconstituting them, and I assume, it is because she is reading this thread.

I wish her well, like I wish many people well, even if I don't always fully understand their actions.

I think the admin team may have found a way to retrieve her posts from a backup. If she was putting them back herself I'd expect some explanation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • warriortaupou
(01-18-2020, 04:18 PM)lacussucceed Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 04:11 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: I just find the whole story unfortunate. Jennifer has done so much for this forum, to leave it on that note leaves a sour taste, no matter the reason.

On a slightly happier note, her posts are back to 2,800+. Initially, they were at 10,000+, then went down to less than 200, and now back up somewhat. Clearly, she must have been reconstituting them, and I assume, it is because she is reading this thread.

I wish her well, like I wish many people well, even if I don't always fully understand their actions.

I think the admin team may have found a way to retrieve her posts from a backup. If she was putting them back herself I'd expect some explanation.

Glad to see her posts are back! Can the admin team clarify on whether cookedreosa's posts were restored because she asked?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nixi's post:
  • warriortaupou

I talked to her about it this morning, she said that she didn't delete a single post ever - she deleted her words (and said "deleted by author" or something along those lines), but not the actual posts or threads.  They were at 10k+ when she left, and she hasn't been back on since then.

I also like that her name is crossed out and she's a Former Member. That part kind of cracks me up, I will have to ask if she did that one (if she did, I missed it originally and only noticed it today).

Anyway, I think that someone went through and deleted everything she ever posted, and now is adding stuff back.  Not sure why they were deleted in the first place, it's all kind of weird.  And I'm not sure why they chose the 2700+ posts they did, but not others.

But whatever, I don't own this forum, so I can't decide the rules.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • warriortaupou
(01-18-2020, 07:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I talked to her about it this morning, she said that she didn't delete a single post ever - she deleted her words (and said "deleted by author" or something along those lines), but not the actual posts or threads.  They were at 10k+ when she left, and she hasn't been back on since then.

I also like that her name is crossed out and she's a Former Member. That part kind of cracks me up, I will have to ask if she did that one (if she did, I missed it originally and only noticed it today).

Anyway, I think that someone went through and deleted everything she ever posted, and now is adding stuff back.  Not sure why they were deleted in the first place, it's all kind of weird.  And I'm not sure why they chose the 2700+ posts they did, but not others.

But whatever, I don't own this forum, so I can't decide the rules.

Odd, I have no idea what is going on.

But didn't it make sense to remove all of cook's posts if she edited them all saying "deleted by author"? With all her content gone initially there didn't seem any point of "deleted by author" posts remaining up.  Huh
Yeah, I saw it initially when it had 10,000 posts, all blanked out with the "deleted by author" nonsense  Rolleyes

I didn't see/notice it if they were all deleted entirely.

now it looks like they deleted all the ones she edited that way that they couldn't restore, but fortunately were able to restore the more recent ones (which is good, as they're likely to be more relevant that the ones 10 years ago or whatever anyway). my guess is they have had better backups since the upgrade of the forums a few years back.

actually looks like some of the restored posts are from 2007ish so it's not just recent stuff. odd.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • mysonx3

We deleted all the "Post removed by author" filler posts and are in process of restoring her old posts from backup. We've got about 25% of them restored so far and are hoping to be able to recover all of them.

(01-18-2020, 07:48 PM)Nixi Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 04:18 PM)lacussucceed Wrote:

Glad to see her posts are back! Can the admin team clarify on whether cookedreosa's posts were restored because she asked?

They were not restored due to any intervention from Jennifer. Steven (the admin) is working with our hosting provider to pull the backups since it has caused a bit of an issue, both in terms of the community and with broken links, etc.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 4 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jsd, Nixi, suzycupcake, warriortaupou
(01-19-2020, 12:21 AM)Merlin Wrote: They were not restored due to any intervention from Jennifer. Steven (the admin) is working with our hosting provider to pull the backups since it has caused a bit of an issue, both in terms of the community and with broken links, etc.

A big thank you to all the admins for caring so much about our community to get the info back!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 3 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • jsd, Nixi, warriortaupou
Happy to see such backups being kept. even if they ca'nt restore 100% (backups can't always be perfect), it's nice to see some harm reduction. Echoing what suzy said: thank you and great work admins/mods!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • suzycupcake
I wonder what the legal ramifications are though. If someone wants to leave a forum and deletes all their online presence, is it ethical or legal for a forum admin to restore everything?

For example if I am Elon Musk on FB and delete my account for whatever reason, is Facebook justified of restoring it just because I am Elon and have cool pics on my page the world finds useful?

I dont think restoring it without her permission is ethical and can bring a good lawsuit.

Was she right? No she was not, but she has the right to delete her presence if she wanted, admins are infriniging on her rights to restore posts against her wishes.

I think someone should contact her and find put if its okay.

And the way Jennifer acted, I wont put it past her to bring a lawsuit....
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(01-19-2020, 01:17 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I wonder what the legal ramifications are though. If someone wants to leave a forum and deletes all their online presence, is it ethical or legal for a forum admin to restore everything?

For example if I am Elon Musk on FB and delete my account for whatever reason, is Facebook justified of restoring it just because I am Elon and have cool pics on my page the world finds useful?

I dont think restoring it without her permission is ethical and can bring a good lawsuit.

Was she right? No she was not, but she has the right to delete her presence if she wanted, admins are infriniging on her rights to restore posts against her wishes.

I think someone should contact her and find put if its okay.

And the way Jennifer acted, I wont put it past her to bring a lawsuit....

I don't know about legal ramifications, but the registration agreement seems to allow the admins to have the permission to keep our posts up if they want to

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So long, farewell, who wants some free testing material? peszcandy 13 2,338 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Schevell