Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Administrator
Steve- Thanks for starting this forum, this is what we all needed. This will help a lot of people out.
God bless
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm hoping that we can keep the momentum going and get an active community of test-takers here.

What I'm really excited about is--seeing people take not one or two, but dozens of tests could be a real inspiration for others to try to do the same. Sitting in class is such an outdated concept!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
Also, don't forget that a lot of these tests are considered "general education" classes that most people will only take because they are required, not because they are part of their major.

Heck, all of my CLEP and DSST tests that I have, and will, take were only used for elective credits. Ya think I needed "Drug and Alcohol Abuse" for my Bachelors in Management of Information Systems? :p

Not kissin the backside, but I really dig the site. I'm sure as membership grows, the content will grow accordingly and really help. This site was the only resource I used for the DSST tests I took and I passed them all, only going through all the flash card questions twice. Can't chalk that up to my intelligence. The content was excellent.

Side note: Would you believe that on the CLEPs that I've taken that the 10 or 12 "practice questions" that are available with the test description on the CLEP site that they say "WILL NOT BE ON THE TEST", I've actually seen a lot of those questions on the test?:confused: It's only a few questions, but every little bit helps.Wink
Nytwolf Wrote:Side note: Would you believe that on the CLEPs that I've taken that the 10 or 12 "practice questions" that are available with the test description on the CLEP site that they say "WILL NOT BE ON THE TEST", I've actually seen a lot of those questions on the test?:confused: It's only a few questions, but every little bit helps.Wink

What practice questions on the CLEP site are you talking about? Can you provide a link?

Are you talking about the individual study guides they offer which you have to buy, and usually come with 50 practice questions? I do recommend that students use their study guides because those sample questions can boost your score by a few points, but if there's another resource out there, I'd like to make it known...

As for your comment on elective credits only, it all depends on what college you're going through. Some colleges will let you fulfill 60 credits of your bachelor's degree through CLEP and Dantes--that's definitely covering more than just your electives!

And then there's the "Big Three" online colleges which will let you finish an entire bachelor's through testing, using CLEP, Dantes, ECE's, etc..
--
Steve
sgloer Wrote:What practice questions on the CLEP site are you talking about? Can you provide a link?

Are you talking about the individual study guides they offer which you have to buy, and usually come with 50 practice questions? I do recommend that students use their study guides because those sample questions can boost your score by a few points, but if there's another resource out there, I'd like to make it known...

As for your comment on elective credits only, it all depends on what college you're going through. Some colleges will let you fulfill 60 credits of your bachelor's degree through CLEP and Dantes--that's definitely covering more than just your electives!

And then there's the "Big Three" online colleges which will let you finish an entire bachelor's through testing, using CLEP, Dantes, ECE's, etc..
Steve
There is a website that offers test prep questions for US history 1 and 2, biology and chemistry clep exams here is the website: testprepresearch.com, the cost for the practice questions are $14.95 each.
Nytwolf Wrote:Also, don't forget that a lot of these tests are considered "general education" classes that most people will only take because they are required, not because they are part of their major.

Heck, all of my CLEP and DSST tests that I have, and will, take were only used for elective credits. Ya think I needed "Drug and Alcohol Abuse" for my Bachelors in Management of Information Systems? :p

Not kissin the backside, but I really dig the site. I'm sure as membership grows, the content will grow accordingly and really help. This site was the only resource I used for the DSST tests I took and I passed them all, only going through all the flash card questions twice. Can't chalk that up to my intelligence. The content was excellent.

Side note: Would you believe that on the CLEPs that I've taken that the 10 or 12 "practice questions" that are available with the test description on the CLEP site that they say "WILL NOT BE ON THE TEST", I've actually seen a lot of those questions on the test?:confused: It's only a few questions, but every little bit helps.Wink
I agree study the practice questions from collegeboard.com, because you will see some of the questions on the actual clep exam.
My apologies, I was remembering the DSST study guides that you can get at the following link for free:

http://www.getcollegecredit.com/04learne...factsheets

In each link to a PDF file you will find the description, recommended study material, and 10-12 sample questions. I can give you the warning of not downloading the "study guides" from collegeboard, unless they've changed. I downloaded the US History 1865-Present, way back when, and received a "study guide" that was almost identical in format and content to the way the free DSST guides are at the link above.

The ones that you pay $14.95 for at CollegeBoard.com are set up the same as the DSST guides in PDF format with description, recommended study material, but with a few more practice questions, I've been told up to about 50 questions. I think it was 50 on the one I bought 2 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the people creating these guides were the same ones that created the DSST guides at the link above.

Quote:As for your comment on elective credits only, it all depends on what college you're going through. Some colleges will let you fulfill 60 credits of your bachelor's degree through CLEP and Dantes--that's definitely covering more than just your electives!

True. As I said, for me, they're being used as electives, but most degree programs have requirements for "general education" classes that can be completely covered by CLEP and DSST tests. Sorry if my rambling got confusing!

BTW, Admin, is this forum closed to non-subscribers to your site? Just asking because I don't want any info I give here to detract from your site. Some people (admittedly, I'm one of them) will look at every free resource and refuse to pay for anything the provider has that costs them. I also ask because they link above has info on that site about another testing assistance website and I didn't want to detract from InstantCert when it's the reason I'm here giving info to begin with.

Damn, can I be long-winded or what?!?!?!
Nytwolf Wrote:BTW, Admin, is this forum closed to non-subscribers to your site? Just asking because I don't want any info I give here to detract from your site. Some people (admittedly, I'm one of them) will look at every free resource and refuse to pay for anything the provider has that costs them.

Currently, the forum is only being advertised to members, but it's open to everyone. If it gets enough activity, then we may start publicizing it. So yes, while we want to spread helpful information, if it's a link that's likely to turn people away from InstantCert, then we'll have to take a close look at it.

Honestly, the link you posted above doesn't look very threatening. It doesn't have any details on what tests are offered, it doesn't provide a purchase link, and it doesn't do a good job of convincing me of its legitimacy.
--
Steve
sgloer Wrote:Currently, the forum is only being advertised to members, but it's open to everyone. If it gets enough activity, then we may start publicizing it. So yes, while we want to spread helpful information, if it's a link that's likely to turn people away from InstantCert, then we'll have to take a close look at it.

Honestly, the link you posted above doesn't look very threatening. It doesn't have any details on what tests are offered, it doesn't provide a purchase link, and it doesn't do a good job of convincing me of its legitimacy.
Steve
When a member takes a clep test and comes here and states that some of the flashcard questions weren't covered on the clep exam, are the flashcards updated?
Thanks
Only if people are consistently reporting failure. If the vast majority of people are passing a subject, then we leave it alone.

If most people are just barely passing a subject, then it goes on our list for improvement, but we take it on a case by case basis.

Obviously, our goal is not to hand you a copy of the test, but to teach you enough foundational knowledge that you can go in and use your own brain to figure out the answers. Smile
--
Steve

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NJ School Business Administrator License: Master's Degree + 18 Undergrad. Credits eriehiker 0 1,251 04-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty and Administrator Salaries 2015-2016 sanantone 2 996 05-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: sanantone