Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Phys & Patho, Pharmacology, and Physical Assessment Classes?
Going to finish up my MSN with WGU this year and I am potentially looking to do a post-certificate NP program. Many NP programs require the 3P's (advanced physiology & pathophysiology, advanced pharmacology, and advanced health/physical assessment), however, many NP programs will allow you to transfer those courses in. I took those courses through WGU, but they likely won't transfer per my research. Any ideas on where I can take those courses for cheap? I would verify with my NP school of interest if the course are eligible for transfer credit before taking them, but just trying to identify any cheaper possibilities.

Thanks!
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
(08-30-2020, 07:36 PM)Hunter91 Wrote: Going to finish up my MSN with WGU this year and I am potentially looking to do a post-certificate NP program. Many NP programs require the 3P's (advanced physiology & pathophysiology, advanced pharmacology, and advanced health/physical assessment), however, many NP programs will allow you to transfer those courses in. I took those courses through WGU, but they likely won't transfer per my research. Any ideas on where I can take those courses for cheap? I would verify with my NP school of interest if the course are eligible for transfer credit before taking them, but just trying to identify any cheaper possibilities.

Thanks!

Generally, your physical assessment class is going to have a large lab component, in which the physical location of your lab is going to be more important than the cost of the class. This is also why your WGU course won't fly. You may get lucky with the patho and pharm courses - can't hurt to try.

The other issue here is that most institutions will only let you take these courses if you are accepted for their MSN or post-grad program. Since the actual school really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things*, you might be better off narrowing down your choices to inexpensive programs first and then taking the 3P's there.

* Funny side story - I was looking at DNP programs at Vanderbilt University. An NP I worked with that was from Nashville said that Vandy NPs had a terrible reputation in the Nashville area because the school just tries to push as many students through as quickly as possible. I also went to an open house on their DNP programs where a student asked the dean of the FNP program if prior RN experience was helpful, to which the dean replied that prior RN experience was completely useless.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
(08-30-2020, 07:36 PM)Hunter91 Wrote: Going to finish up my MSN with WGU this year and I am potentially looking to do a post-certificate NP program. Many NP programs require the 3P's (advanced physiology & pathophysiology, advanced pharmacology, and advanced health/physical assessment), however, many NP programs will allow you to transfer those courses in. I took those courses through WGU, but they likely won't transfer per my research. Any ideas on where I can take those courses for cheap? I would verify with my NP school of interest if the course are eligible for transfer credit before taking them, but just trying to identify any cheaper possibilities.

Thanks!

First of all Congrats for finishing the second Master!

I don´t know if it helps but Liberty university has it:

https://www.liberty.edu/online/courses/nurs711/

But I think that the comment that dmjacobsen made is the better option. Aim for a school and then be sure is accepted there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,431 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Pittsburg State (Kansas) - Only online classes, pay resident tuition fee bjcheung77 0 750 12-27-2021, 03:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any sources for inexpensive/nontraditional masters-level social work classes? studyingfortests 4 931 06-20-2021, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Advanced Data Analytics Masters Program at UNT? SoulBlast 2 960 12-22-2020, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  Are there any ACE grad classes? tjguitar85 20 2,978 09-07-2020, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Harvard Extension quality of classes question rpmranger 6 1,602 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  master classes transferable to Liberty University its4natalie 1 917 08-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Advanced Software Engineering MSc, PGCert, University of Leicester posabsolute 2 925 05-15-2020, 08:46 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Need help finding graduate classes tb81 17 3,700 06-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Last Post: SolarKat
  WGU (MSISA) assessment question... hightecrebel 6 2,162 07-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Last Post: stretcharmy