Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Music Diplomas
I PM'ed musictester about this and then realized it might be helpful for other homeschoolers/ music majors, since it can be difficult to find those credits by testing.

In the UK, three main accrediting bodies offer college-level music diplomas that are somewhat accessible for people in other countries: the Associated Boards of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM), Trinity College London (aka Trinity Guildhall), and London College of Music (part of the University of West London).

The ABRSM offers diploma levels (DipABRSM, LRSM, FRSM) which are based on a recital, a Viva Voce (interview) and a Quick Study (sightreading).
http://us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/dip...c-performance/

The Trinity College performance diplomas are a bit different. You just have a recital and program notes to complete but don't have to do the Viva Voce and Quick Study.
Trinity College London - Performance Diplomas

The London College of Music diploma levels are somewhat similar to the ABRSMs:
LCM Exams | University of West London

All of these entities also offer diplomas for theory, composition, teaching, etc.

You can register for the entry-level diploma without having done the corresponding Grade 8 exam, but you cannot enter at licentiate level unless you have relevant college-level experience. All three have testing dates in the US, Canada, and many other countries.

The three bodies are generally reluctant to accept each others' diplomas, so it is best to stick with one of them for the complete diploma series.

Also, you can enter for diplomas in any instrument/ voice for which you would like, but you could not do, say, DipABRSM Voice> LRSM Piano> FRSM Cello. It has to be in the same instrument all the way through. You could sit for these diplomas in multiple instruments though.

These exams are not cheap- ~$300-$500 USD per exam, if I recall correctly- but they do offer a lot of credits, and the Fellowship levels are equivalent to a masters degree. All diploma levels are accredited by Ofqual, so you should be able to transfer them to US colleges.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Wow, that's informative, thanks! Didn't know that, I learn something new everyday!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-22-2020, 10:09 PM)MartinGriggs Wrote: I think tests like IELTS and SELTs are very popular and useful for people who want to apply for citizenship or visas.On the other hand I also feel there is a need to make people aware of these kind of tests when they intend to apply for citizenship or visas.

https://www.ukselttest.co.uk/b1-citizenship-test
Does this apply to citizenship regardless of the settled status or 5 year period of stay? Even after Brexit?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 465 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Abandoned Hymns Bring New Life to Our Christian Worship Music from Olivet University jacobmark 0 415 08-26-2022, 04:59 PM
Last Post: jacobmark
  British Students Look To Canada Alpha 4 777 02-23-2022, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Where do you keep your diplomas/certs? collegechick 17 1,877 06-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit-by-exam For Music Degree JimmyNeutron 11 2,615 03-30-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Non credit diplomas to supplement an MBA HM Popestt 2 970 03-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Music Music History TECEP TexasTink 4 1,499 02-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Goal: Music Teacher cookderosa 13 4,644 11-03-2018, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Music theory homeschoolmom1 11 2,632 07-03-2018, 07:17 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Looking to get 6 credits in Foreign Language or Art/Music Credit to graduate in May dg1996 5 1,922 04-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore