Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for 16 year old American-BSBA Online from Southeast Asia
This forum is an incredible resource! I have learned so much from all of you and appreciate it.

Looking at a BSBA or a Liberal Arts degree from COSC due to the age requirement at other schools. There is a CLEP testing center 400 Miles away in Bangkok and no nearby DSST testing center. Looking at Study.com, SL, Shmoop and Saylor to reduce the trips to BKK. Would probably go on to a Masters after completion. Would appreciate any suggestions on when to take CLEPs vs. being able to take the exam's online. Thinking a few CLEP's and four classes at SL and four classes at study.com to complete most of the general ed. requirements. Cost is less important than being able to take the exam online and a good class that can be passed. Effort is OK. Two classes a month for ten months with the ability to do additional classes when possible.
Since you're that far from a CLEP Test center, I would only recommend taking the ones that provide 6 credits (example, English Comp w/essay - so it'll take one trip for 6 credits or more if you do more exams in one day). Shmoop is the only ACE recommended for credit provider I do NOT recommend, I usually don't recommend NCCRS credit providers either. I would recommend going with the tried and true providers such as Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com

Sophia.org generally is a great provider, both because they have sales/specials and their quality/quantity of courses. I would highly recommend getting HALFOFF, or PHOENIXOFF for 50% off the courses, or you can wait for when they have $297/3 course specials. For StraighterLine/Study.com, I highly recommend SL or lower level and Study.com for upper level courses. You want to do a combo because doing 4 courses from SL will net you 10% off tuition/fees at COSC, $500 off WGU, and 10% off Excelsior.

SL/Study.com is my go to recommendation, as Study.com has an amazing amount of upper level credits for cheap. Oh, today is the last day for FREE membership - you should quickly sign up for StraighterLine and get 4/5 courses from them. Try to complete all 4 or 5 courses a month. I recommend Medical Terminology, Pharmacology for free electives or any of the courses that have an "open book final exams" in this link: https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/

Note: If you are going to COSC, paying 4 courses from SL will net you a 10% discount on all fees, ie: capstone/cornerstone, grad fee, etc. That 10% discount will basically negate the cost of the SL courses & membership, so it's like paying for it now, but getting the money back later - in essence, those courses/membership cost become FREE! (Especially when you have a free membership until the end of today, you can use that cost to buy two more courses!)

Lastly, I would highly recommend starting with StraighterLine and cancel/pausing your membership after this first month membership is over. You should be able to complete all 4/5 courses within the month. So, create the ACE credit registry account, buy the SL courses/membership. When you're done with these 4/5 courses, get all the FREE credits completed on the wiki. When done, update us with what you've completed. All the general education/free elective courses will be usable for all of the Big 3/WGU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu, schlocker
(02-29-2020, 11:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Since you're that far from a CLEP Test center, I would only recommend taking the ones that provide 6 credits (example, English Comp w/essay - so it'll take one trip for 6 credits or more if you do more exams in one day). Shmoop is the only ACE recommended for credit provider I do NOT recommend, I usually don't recommend NCCRS credit providers either.  I would recommend going with the tried and true providers such as Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com

Sophia.org generally is a great provider, both because they have sales/specials and their quality/quantity of courses.  I would highly recommend getting HALFOFF, or PHOENIXOFF for 50% off the courses, or you can wait for when they have $297/3 course specials.  For StraighterLine/Study.com, I highly recommend SL or lower level and Study.com for upper level courses.  You want to do a combo because doing 4 courses from SL will net you 10% off tuition/fees at COSC, $500 off WGU, and 10% off Excelsior.

SL/Study.com is my go to recommendation, as Study.com has an amazing amount of upper level credits for cheap.  Oh, today is the last day for FREE membership - you should quickly sign up for StraighterLine and get 4/5 courses from them.  Try to complete all 4 or 5 courses a month.  I recommend Medical Terminology, Pharmacology for free electives or any of the courses that have an  "open book final exams" in this link: https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/

Note: If you are going to COSC, paying 4 courses from SL will net you a 10% discount on all fees, ie: capstone/cornerstone, grad fee, etc.   That 10% discount will basically negate the cost of the SL courses & membership, so it's like paying for it now, but getting the money back later - in essence, those courses/membership cost become FREE!  (Especially when you have a free membership until the end of today, you can use that cost to buy two more courses!)

Lastly, I would highly recommend starting with StraighterLine and cancel/pausing your membership after this first month membership is over.  You should be able to complete all 4/5 courses within the month.  So, create the ACE credit registry account, buy the SL courses/membership.  When you're done with these 4/5 courses, get all the FREE credits completed on the wiki.  When done, update us with what you've completed.   All the general education/free elective courses will be usable for all of the Big 3/WGU.

Thanks!!!! This is exactly what I need. Please let me digest this and I will follow up for sure.

It is already March 1 here so I missed the COSC offer. Which four classes do you suggest we take from COSC?

The timeline is to start August 15 2020. Sign up for ACE. Two CLEP exams September 15, and SL or Study.com for a couple of months followed up with a couple of months of the other. Sign up with COSC around January 2021 unless it is beneficial to sign up sooner. 

GED/CHSPE in 2021 if required. Student will complete the 10th grade in June 2020.
With the new RA requirements at TESU I must redo my BSBA plan for TESU. COSC is also an option. Student is 16 years old and in Southeast Asia. 

Currently have 56 Sophia credits and 6 CLEP for a total of 62. Will complete all of the Sophia classes. 

What eight RA classes can be taken outside the USA that would fit into a BSBA or similar degree and meet the new RA requirements.
(12-21-2020, 09:37 PM)schlocker Wrote: With the new RA requirements at TESU I must redo my BSBA plan for TESU. COSC is also an option. Student is 16 years old and in Southeast Asia. 

Currently have 56 Sophia credits and 6 CLEP for a total of 62. Will complete all of the Sophia classes. 

What eight RA classes can be taken outside the USA that would fit into a BSBA or similar degree and meet the new RA requirements.

That depends on what you've already got. Some credits already obtained may need to be redone to turn them into RA credits. TECEPs are a good way to earn RA credits. Check out the TESU roadmap for GE credits here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap for ideas. All, or almost all, of these should be available to students from outside the US.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TECEPs and Tel Learning for the RA credit seem to be the consensus on this forum as the way to go to get that 24 total RA credit for TESU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(12-22-2020, 05:36 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 09:37 PM)schlocker Wrote: With the new RA requirements at TESU I must redo my BSBA plan for TESU. COSC is also an option. Student is 16 years old and in Southeast Asia. 

That depends on what you've already got. Some credits already obtained may need to be redone to turn them into RA credits. TECEPs are a good way to earn RA credits. Check out the TESU roadmap for GE credits here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap for ideas. All, or almost all, of these should be available to students from outside the US.
Thanks for the link and the fast reply. I will identify eight TECEPs. If classes need to be repeated so be it, but I will try to avoid by selecting classes that have not already been completed. For example: I will work on a new degree plan and post it for feedback.
[-] The following 1 user Likes schlocker's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 268 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,147 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 211 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,457 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,936 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,611 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 351 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 367 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn