Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Advice for UL Courses for Homeland Security
(01-30-2020, 01:09 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 11:41 AM)hlg38 Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 11:11 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 10:14 AM)hlg38 Wrote: Chiming in a year later, THIS is what I've been looking for on this forum for days! I am eyeballing the exact same degree. I've applied to Excelsior. All of my questions were answered on this post. Thank you.

Do you have a background in HSEM?

Not particularly. I have a background in safety and emergency training design in higher education. I currently work in higher education, and I've worked in other areas of government in the past. My educational background consists of a B.S. in Public Administration and an M.Ed. in Instructional Design and Technology. I've taken an extreme interest in furthering my education to include a degree in Emergency Management/Homeland Security. My job aligns well with training departments at FEMA, etc. I suppose that's my dream job; to do training for FEMA. I'm in my late 20's, so I have time. I am involved in my local CERT and have a slight obsession with public service and safety.  Shy Especially on college and university campuses. That was probably more info than you cared to know!

That is all cool.  With CERT you can attend EMI in Maryland for free.  Also at your local level can take 60+ TEEX courses in EM.  Many other FEMA schools as well.  

The reason I asked as being military with lots of Gov't EM schools I found Excelsior took my ACE EM credits and TESU did not as core subjects.  I applied to both.  Everyone has different backgrounds.

Keep us updated on your EM journey. Smile

Wow, thank you! I didn't know any of that. I will make sure to take advantage of all the knowledge and training that is available to me. I've applied to both Excelsior and TESU, but I am leaning toward Excelsior. I'm waiting for the credit reviews to be completed. Of course, it will depend on which school takes the most credits. Sounds like Excelsior is my best bet.  Wink I'll certainly keep everyone updated! Thanks for your guidance!
Completed Degrees
ACE: M.Ed. Instructional Design and Technology
NAU: B.S. Public Administration

Degrees in Progress
ACE: Ed.D. Instructional Technology
TESU: B.A. English
[-] The following 1 user Likes hlg38's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Just wondering hlg38, where did you get your B.S. in Public Administration and an M.Ed. in Instructional Design and Technology?
Excelsior is a good choice if you can transfer in many credits, TESU would most likely be lesser but they have a graduate certificate.
Further to my question, do you have a set budget and time to complete this particular degree? Like say under $9K and 1 year?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-30-2020, 01:31 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering hlg38, where did you get your B.S. in Public Administration and an M.Ed. in Instructional Design and Technology?
Excelsior is a good choice if you can transfer in many credits, TESU would most likely be lesser but they have a graduate certificate.  
Further to my question, do you have a set budget and time to complete this particular degree?  Like say under $9K and 1 year?

My B.S. is from Northern Arizona University, my M.Ed. is from American College of Education. Both are regionally accredited by the HLC. I'm hoping to transfer as many credits as possible to Excelsior or TESU. Budget and time aren't really factors. I'd like to complete the degree as soon as possible, but I have time on my side. As far as budget, I'm intrigued by the challenge of doing this as cheap as possible. This whole idea of a "DIY degree" is new to me, and I want to see how far I can get. I work in higher education at the community college level. I can get LL credits for free, which is a blessing, but that only gets you so far. I do not get UL credits for free, or even at a discount.
Completed Degrees

Degrees in Progress
  • Life Long Learning
A little update. Excelsior accepted 86 of my credits, TESU accepted 90. Technically, I only need to complete 10 courses and I have a B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management! defrecore posted a helpful guide on this, so I am going to seek out as many courses as I can elsewhere (for much less money) and transfer them in.

Any reason why I shouldn't pick TESU over Excelsior? Is there something I'm missing? Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks all.
Completed Degrees

Degrees in Progress
  • Life Long Learning
(02-25-2020, 11:29 AM)hlg38 Wrote: A little update. Excelsior accepted 86 of my credits, TESU accepted 90. Technically, I only need to complete 10 courses and I have a B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management! defrecore posted a helpful guide on this, so I am going to seek out as many courses as I can elsewhere (for much less money) and transfer them in.

Any reason why I shouldn't pick TESU over Excelsior? Is there something I'm missing? Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks all.

Don't look at this the wrong way: looking BACKWARDS is asking what you go for your previous credits; looking FORWARD is asking what it will cost in time and money to complete your degree.

TESU and EC are similarly priced, so that's not a factor.  I don't think either degree is programmatically accredited, so that's not a factor.

So then you see what you need for the remainder of the degree.

EC requires 30cr of UL throughout the degree, and I think 18cr or so must be in the major.  TESU only requires 18cr of UL, and all of it in the major.

So your main issues are going to be: 1) whether or not any of your previous credits are UL, and if not, how you're going to get those, because there normally aren't as many available inexpensively (especially in this major); and 2) if there are specific requirements for the degree that you can't find elsewhere (a major that allows lots of electives is going to be easier to complete).

Just map out your degree from both schools, including cost, to see which will be cheaper/easier to complete.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Excelsior wins in the sheer amount of alumni they have - 177,000+ that you can possible network with. However...
TESU wins due to a few reasons: 1) University status 2) Graduate Certificate which I alluded to in an earlier post #12
3) Cost might be cheaper overall due to the amount of transferable credit using alternative sources (not many in that field)

Here's the kicker. TESU Grad Cert is 12 credits at $668 each, that grad certificate will cost you $8016. What if I said you can get that for FREE or pay for this and get your Bachelors for free? Read below. TESU has a Bach to Master program that allows up to 12 credits usable from the Masters level and placed into your AOS for the Bachelors. The 4 courses that you can't "transfer" in, exactly corresponds to their Bach to Master - exact 4 courses, and it's the exact 4 courses required for the Grad cert.

So, this is your final cost for TESU. You apply for the degree and also apply to the Bach to Master program. You pay the Study.com tuition rate at $379/credit. If you don't have residency credits, you will need to get 1 more credit to hit 16. The cost for your Bachelors is $379x16 = $6064.

Note: At the time of this writing, the degree you are looking at is the ONLY degree that allows this option. Previously the BSBA HRM and Health Care option courses matched their Graduate Certificate, but recently, they changed two of the four courses for each of the grad certs.

I haven't told anyone about this until they changed the tuition model for flat rate and also instituted the residency waiver. If you search the board or other posts, you will not find this information. I'll be adding it to the Beginners Guide as a post to let others know. They may allow other certs to be had for cheap later.

So, it's in your court now, how do you want to play the ball? FREE bachelors or FREE grad cert? Hard choice? Just do it! For residency purposes and also to get graduate credit, this is the best option - pay for grad level courses at the undergrad price.

And for those who are looking at getting a degree from Amberton, such as their MA Professional Development. People used to grab credits from VESI. I highly recommend the above method to get MBA level credits for cheap and applying to Amberton, saving your the cost of the VESI courses and also preparing yourself for grad level. Each VESI course is $290 roughly, that's $1100+ you will save.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Any non-traditional courses for the HSEM CORE classes for EC or TESU?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Good Day, 

I am hoping for the latest update from anyone that can help out with any confirmed alternative equivalences for these tough last few classes I have for the BS Homeland Security Degree:

Diversity Intercultural Literacy 3SH 
SOC-322 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) Cultural Diversity in the US

HLS-355 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 
Critical Thinking for Homeland Security
A: Terrorism
For TESU course options, go to SOS-440 Terrorism
B: Counterterrorism 
For TESU course options, go to HLS-410 Counterterrorism: Constitutional and Legislative Issues
C: Prepare/Prevent
For TESU course options, go to HLS-420 Homeland Security: Preparedness, Prevention and Deterrence
D: Response/Recovery
For TESU course options, go to HLS-429 Protecting the Homeland: Response & Recovery
E: Research Methods
For TESU course options, go to SOS-492 Research Methods in Social Sciences

I have the accelerator Study.com account and due to the madness of this past year, I am stuck with the current 2020 Catalog requirements. No matter what other degree I look at through TESU this degree is the least amount of units 26 units for a BS Degree. 

Thanks for any help and with out this group, I would have never gotten my AS Criminal Justice degree in 2018.
Do you have a Homeland Security Capstone Course also?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-17-2020, 08:03 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Do you have a Homeland Security Capstone Course also?

Yes I forgot to add the capstone, but figured that there is no alternative for that requirement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lifelinepso's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 14 467 Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Last Post: RJ77
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 226 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 362 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Taking Math Courses at TESU legenwait4itdary 5 510 02-02-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Good study advice for my TECEPS? kowenboy 3 369 09-01-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Accounting Electives Advice Chudson 0 302 07-11-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Chudson
  Advice: Taking a bunch of writing TECEPs tomorrow. CanICode 10 1,214 05-28-2023, 06:31 PM
  TESU Courses gams007 38 3,721 05-07-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: CanICode