Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for a 13-Year-Old Working Toward a Finance Degree
Does anyone have any advice for a 13-year-old (almost 14) working toward a (probably) finance degree by 18? I'm 6 credits in with CLEP Marketing/Management and about to take CLEP A&I Lit. I have a degree plan I made with Google Sheets here for TESU: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0. I'm guessing I'll have to change it since maybe TESU will change exams like American Literature/English Literature/Analyzing Literature to 3 credit exams since I think that's the ACE-recommended credit recommendation.

Do you think TESU is best? Any tips for studying, etc?

Thank you for your help!
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
[-] The following 1 user Likes zapproximator's post:
  • Stacie
Is there any reason you're doing CLEP rather than Straighterline for some of those lower level courses? Just curious, as SL seems like an easier path for some of those credits.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
No. I actually wanted to ask you what you thought of Straighterline!
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
zapproximator Wrote:No. I actually wanted to ask you what you thought of Straighterline!

My son has been homeschooled all his life, and the first test he ever took was the ACT in 10th grade. To say he is test-phobic is to put it mildly. Straighterline has been great because he doesn't mind reading textbooks and learning that way, and the proctored final is worth relatively little, so it's difficult to fail a course based on a poor score on the final (one exception is statistics where the final is worth 50%). My son actually started with Saylor, where the whole grade was based on the score on the final - and it made him terribly anxious - it was 9 super cheep credits, then he hit a wall with economics and failed both of those finals by a few points. That's when I began looking into Straighterline. I ordered used books on Amazon, he pre-read the books for 5 courses, and in doing that he was able to get through 7 courses in a one month membership - it was fantastic! He's signed up right now for one final month and doing the same - He's already knocked out organizational behavior, psychology, intro to accounting, and managerial accounting, and now he's doing statistics and communication - all in one month. There is no way he could do that much in one month via CLEP, and it would also cost a lot more.

He also did Study.com with the Guardian Scholarship and earned 15 credits that way - but he was not a big fan of the massive amount of small chapters/quizzes. One good thing about Study is that they have some upper level courses SL doesn't have - so he'll be doing one more month of Study to knock out project management and one other upper level course as his last step before enrolling at WGU.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Wow! That's really cool! So basically study beforehand, get the membership and take all the tests in a month. Do you know if Straighterline is easier/harder than CLEP?
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
I'm going to take a somewhat contrarian view on the ACE approved courses such as Strighterline in your case. First I applaud your desire to go earn that degree by 18! Good for you. Second, what I'm about to say is just my opinion, but let me reason it our for you a little.

I attended six different schools before finally earning my bachelors degree. Of these exactly one school (COSC) allowed alternative credit via ACE. This included two CC's, two secondary traditional State Universities, a private College and Charter Oak. Honestly if I had a bunch of ACE credit from early on I would probably still be without a degree. My point is that at 13/14 you just don't know where life is gonna take you. Are there free dual enrollment options for you? What about future scholarships? What if you get halfway through and find you HATE business/finance? Were I you, or if you were my kid we would look first to CLEP/DSST which are infinitely more transferable and accepted across the country. And you can in fact build nearly a complete degree at any of the big 3 with credit by exam (CBE) from these two sources....and if you end up with a scholorship to a State University the great likelihood is that these credits will transfer with you unlike Straighterline or Shmoop. We would also look at the opportunities for you right in your home state. Both of my daughters have used free dual enrollment and CBE to earn or work towards their AA. My youngest was 13 when she passed the US History CLEP.

All that said I have no problem with the ACE route if that is what you choose....just know the risks and what you might be giving up.

What state are you in?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
That's interesting! I'm in Illinois.
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
Look around at programs like this, For High School Students | High School Partnership Programs

Are you homeschooled? It makes things easier in many cases.

If those are to expensive check out these two New Mexico Colleges for their online offering, Luna is crazy cheap (like $120/course plus books).
https://www.luna.edu/dual-credit/
High School Student - New Mexico Junior College
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I'm homeschooled. I'll check those out!
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
rebel100 Wrote:... Were I you, or if you were my kid we would look first to CLEP/DSST which are infinitely more transferable and accepted across the country. ...
I'll add on that AP exams are accepted even at a lot of schools that don't take CLEP/DSST, and would be another good source of credit by exam.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,450 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 767 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 950 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 375 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader