Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for the newbie...
Hello everyone. I just received my first DSST results (Drug and Alcohol). I scored a 65 using a paper version of I Study Smart and have also used I study smart material in preparation for the Civil War DSST on Wed. I study smart is $$$. I happened across instantcert while searching the web for less expensive study aids. This sight is wonderful! The support among fellow students is fantastic! I have a couple of questions, one specifically for Civil War test veterans, could you elaborate on your recent Civil War tests? what sort of questions you remember,areas to concentrate on? Secondly, Assuming I pass CW I need 9 additional UL units to graduate. I can take any of the following: Human Growth, Intro to Edu Psych, Intro to Bus law or Bus Law II, Rise and Fall of Soviet. I need to finish i the next couple of months were any of these offerings easier than others? Sorry for the long message and thanks for any help!
Personally I have not taken any of the exams you mentioned(Human Growth, Intro to Edu Psych, Intro to Bus law or Bus Law II, Rise and Fall of Soviet) . But from what I have read on this forum and others If you have recently taken or are pretty knowledgeable with Psychology there is a good amount of overlap with these Human Growth, Intro to Edu Psych exams alot of the same material.

Good luck with whatever you choose ,I'm sure you will meet your graduation deadline.

Donvago
I Would Concentrate On The Following Issues:

I. Generals .. Their Opponents And Outcomes
2. Lincoln's Real Feeling About The Ubion And Slavery
3. Calhoun And His Impact On The Slavery Issue
4. Makeup Of Lincoln's Cabinet And Who Could Be Trusted.
5. Andrew Johnson' S Intent On Reconstruction And What Went Wrong
6. Confederate Support For Davis Or Lack Of And Why
7. Lee's War Generalship And Battle Strategies
8. Timetable Of Important Battles
9. Major Questions Were Asked On Border States
10. Grant' Sapproach To The War And Strategy Of Total War
11. Sherman' Role In His March To Savannah
12. Evnts Regarding The Compromise Of 1850
13. The Role Of The Freed Slave During The War And In Reconstruction
14. Mclellan's Troubles And Dismissal
15. California And Their Statehood
18. Kansas- Nebraska Act And It's Impact Preceding The War
19. Shenandoah Valley And Its' Importance
20. Copperheads..who . What And Their Impact
21. Carpetbaggers And Scalawags .. Their Impact

Okay Now That Info Will Cover At Least 40- To 50 Questions That Comrised The 111 Questions On My Test. Good Luck. Use Instantcert And The Civil War Red Book From Rudman And You Will Be Absolutely Prepared For This Test. I Promise!!!
Thank you very much!
I would take CLEP exams whenever possible. Out of the exams you listed, Human Growth and Edu Psych definitely aren't too bad. You should study for them at the same time, since there may be some overlap. It also may not be a bad idea to go through the Intro Psych materials once or twice if you want additional preparation.

Deciding between Business Law and Soviet Union... that's really up to your interests. Some people find Business Law to be pretty tough. The history of the Soviet Union can be interesting, so that may not be a bad way to go if you decide the Biz Law is too intense.
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
In regards to the Civil War test, be sure you understand the states rights
issues and how they impacted the issues of that period. I'd also invest a good portion of time into the laws and compromises passed regarding expansion of new territories and how slavery impacted them. What i can tell you for sure is this ..if you just learn the answers from the instantcert flashcards and don't really study the explanations attached to the correct answer..well that would be a mistake you don't want to make. Those explanations are a HUGE AND IMPORTANT piece of your study puzzle.
Nodean Wrote:Hello everyone. I just received my first DSST results (Drug and Alcohol). I scored a 65 using a paper version of I Study Smart and have also used I study smart material in preparation for the Civil War DSST on Wed. I study smart is $$$. I happened across instantcert while searching the web for less expensive study aids. This sight is wonderful! The support among fellow students is fantastic! I have a couple of questions, one specifically for Civil War test veterans, could you elaborate on your recent Civil War tests? what sort of questions you remember,areas to concentrate on? Secondly, Assuming I pass CW I need 9 additional UL units to graduate. I can take any of the following: Human Growth, Intro to Edu Psych, Intro to Bus law or Bus Law II, Rise and Fall of Soviet. I need to finish i the next couple of months were any of these offerings easier than others? Sorry for the long message and thanks for any help!

[SIZE="2"]Aside from InstantCert, another two great sources of study are: "The Idiots Guide to the Civil War" and Ken Burns "The Civil War" videos should you have the time to watch this 11 hours long series.[/SIZE]
Nodean Wrote:...I have a couple of questions, one specifically for Civil War test veterans, could you elaborate on your recent Civil War tests? what sort of questions you remember,areas to concentrate on? Secondly, Assuming I pass CW I need 9 additional UL units to graduate. I can take any of the following: Human Growth, Intro to Edu Psych, Intro to Bus law or Bus Law II, Rise and Fall of Soviet. I need to finish i the next couple of months were any of these offerings easier than others? Sorry for the long message and thanks for any help!

I took Civil War recently as well and I agree with RBowman, his list is right on. I didn't have the Rudmans that he recommends, but I did have a Civil War book on CD that I found very helpful. I think the key thing about CW is that you'll want to supplement Instacert. If you're looking for free or cheap, Wikipedia is good, and it's free.

I think a bunch of us are currently working on Soviet Union so keep watching for posts on this one for more advice.

Keep in mind, also, that there are no upper level CLEPs and only a handfull of DSST's are UL.
Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,592 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,216 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,045 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,010 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 705 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 973 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,744 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,173 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,266 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007