Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed
Hello, I am looking for advice. Quick background- I am an LPN(11 years )and I attempting to go back to school for my Rn which has been very difficult. I have all of my pre req's needed for an ADN program in my state but was waitlisted this year. I have been researching different programs in states around me and I just can't seem to catch a break. I have been out of high school for 21 years now and have 47 college credits. I have now been looking into getting a bachelor's degree in anything and applying to programs for nursing as a second degree. Can anyone help me to determine the fastest and cheapest way to get a bachelor's degree.  Thank you
My current credits are from a university and CC
Eng 101-3 cr
Math Analy 1-3 cr
Effective speaking- 3 cr
Eng 102- 3 cr
Princ of sociology- 3 cr
Gen Psych- 3 cr
Child psych- 3 cr
Concepts of chemistry- 4 cr
Elem spanish- 3 cr
Microbiology- 4 cr
Lifespan devel- 3 cr
Biology- 4 cr
A&P 1- 4 cr
A&P 2-4 cr

The 2nd degree nursing programs that I am looking into require genetics and statistics as pre requisites so I know I need those two classes and also need to retake micro- no lab needed
(10-03-2019, 03:19 PM)lpnerika Wrote: Hello, I am looking for advice. Quick background- I am an LPN(11 years )and I attempting to go back to school for my Rn which has been very difficult. I have all of my pre req's needed for an ADN program in my state but was waitlisted this year. I have been researching different programs in states around me and I just can't seem to catch a break. I have been out of high school for 21 years now and have 47 college credits. I have now been looking into getting a bachelor's degree in anything and applying to programs for nursing as a second degree. Can anyone help me to determine the fastest and cheapest way to get a bachelor's degree.  Thank you
Eng 101-3 cr
Math Analy 1-3 cr
Effective speaking- 3 cr
Eng 102- 3 cr
Princ of sociology- 3 cr
Gen Psych- 3 cr
Child psych- 3 cr
Elem spanish- 3 cr
Microbiology- 4 cr
Lifespan devel- 3 cr
Biology- 4 cr
A&P 1- 4 cr
A&P 2-4 cr

The 2nd degree nursing programs that I am looking into require genetics and statistics as pre requisites so I know I need those two classes and also need to retake micro- no lab needed

Most on this site are very well versed in alternative credit.  It does not sound like the school you are planning to attend is one of the "Big 3" (TESU, COSC, Excelsior).  You need to email your advisor at whatever school you are planning to attend and find out if they accept alternative credit, how strict they are with alternative credit, etc.  Many school's websites state that they accept ACE credit, but do not accept hardly any in reality.  Your best bet is looking up equivalencies for clep and dsst exams at your school and find out if any would apply to the program that you are trying to do.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

[-] The following 1 user Likes Zachcleigh's post:
  • lpnerika
(10-03-2019, 03:53 PM)Zachcleigh Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 03:19 PM)lpnerika Wrote: Hello, I am looking for advice. Quick background- I am an LPN(11 years )and I attempting to go back to school for my Rn which has been very difficult. I have all of my pre req's needed for an ADN program in my state but was waitlisted this year. I have been researching different programs in states around me and I just can't seem to catch a break. I have been out of high school for 21 years now and have 47 college credits. I have now been looking into getting a bachelor's degree in anything and applying to programs for nursing as a second degree. Can anyone help me to determine the fastest and cheapest way to get a bachelor's degree.  Thank you
Eng 101-3 cr
Math Analy 1-3 cr
Effective speaking- 3 cr
Eng 102- 3 cr
Princ of sociology- 3 cr
Gen Psych- 3 cr
Child psych- 3 cr
Elem spanish- 3 cr
Microbiology- 4 cr
Lifespan devel- 3 cr
Biology- 4 cr
A&P 1- 4 cr
A&P 2-4 cr

Most on this site are very well versed in alternative credit.  It does not sound like the school you are planning to attend is one of the "Big 3" (TESU, COSC, Excelsior).  You need to email your advisor at whatever school you are planning to attend and find out if they accept alternative credit, how strict they are with alternative credit, etc.  Many school's websites state that they accept ACE credit, but do not accept hardly any in reality.  Your best bet is looking up equivalencies for clep and dsst exams at your school and find out if any would apply to the program that you are trying to do.

Thank you. I would like to attend one of the "big 3" first to obtain a bachelor's degree and then attend a different school for a BSN
What state are you in?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think getting a BA from somewhere may be a good bet, as if your state is like mine, you get bonus "points" for having a degree.  And since your pre-reqs from a B&M school are folding into there, you gain a lot.

Here are degree plans for BALS degrees at TESU & COSC.  I would take a stats course for your math, since you know you're going to need it anyway.  TESU is a bit easier, as you don't have to come up with a concentration if you don't want (although you can).  COSC will require a concentration, which makes it a bit trickier, although you have enough space left to do so pretty easily (like do Psych if you want, since you already have a couple of classes, or do a combination of Biol/Psych since you just need some UL psych courses to do that as well).  You could also look at a Psych degree at TESU, possibly at COSC as well.

COSC will be cheaper by at least $2000.  TESU has more degrees that you might want to get.

You can also look at WGU, and see about the Health degrees they have (Health Information Management, Health Services Coordinator, and a BS in Business in Healthcare Management).  They also have a Prelicensure RN degree in a few states (CA, FL, IN, TX & UT).

Attached Files
.xlsx   lpnerika COSC BALS & BSLS.xlsx (Size: 116.79 KB / Downloads: 5)
.xlsx   lpnerika TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 37.8 KB / Downloads: 4)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun, suzycupcake
lpnerika Wrote:Hi, I hope you don't mind me sending you a pm, I saw that you are very knowledgeable with all of this and I have a question. I currently have 47 credits from 1 college and 1 university. I am also a licensed practical nurse. Someone on this site helped me with a TESU BALS degree plan and also a COSC BALS and BSLS. I saw on Excelsior's website that they give 26 credits for an LPN towards a BA in science in health sciences. Do you think that it would be quicker/cheaper to go that route? The classes that I have credit for are eng 101, eng 102, effective speaking, math analysis, principles of sociology, gen Psych, child psych, lifespan development, elementary spanish, concepts of Chemistry, Biology, A&P 1, A&P2 and Microbiology. 
Thank you for any help that you can give.

Your PM is turned off so I can't PM you back, I found your posting here so I'll just paste the details below...
The BALS/BSLS would be the degree best check the box degree, it's the cheapest/easiest/fastest. Going the route of BA/BS Health Sciences will be more costly and take much longer as these courses can't be transferred in cheaply. You can take a few general education courses with Sophia.org/SL/Study.com and apply to COSC/Excelsior/TESU and see who gives you the most credit. If the LPN credential can be used for Excelsior, it should also be looked at COSC/TESU as well. So, take a couple courses you know you need from Sopha.org as it's FREE now, apply to Excelsior for FREE by taking those courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
you know this is 6 months old, right ?
bluebooger Wrote:you know this is 6 months old, right ?

Yup, they private messaged me and I replied the next day. Heck, I couldn't find any newer posts from the user so I decided to review a slightly older post. I dunno what would have been better, create a new thread and paste a reply like I do sometimes, or to just paste it in here.... ah wells, what's done is done...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,571 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,165 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,025 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,307 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Top 10 Things Needed to Help Get You Employed LevelUP 7 751 06-23-2022, 02:24 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 1,971 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 682 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 949 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,614 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha