Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Advocating for Myself
I'm terrible at standing up for myself, and I'd like some advice. The cleaners ruined a dress of mine, and I would like to know what you think is a fair position for me to take, and, maybe, some suggestions for handling myself. The now-ruined dress was given to me, so it's second hand. It was in good condition when I took it to the cleaners. I have no idea of it's value, but I know it was originally purchased from a high-end store. It's a spring/summer silk dress with a blazer. (The blazer's fine.) The cleaners offered to deconstruct the dress, and clean the part that they'd stained to see if it could be cleaned. I'm going by today or tomorrow,and from the call I received from the cleaners, I don't think that their efforts were successful. If it matters, it's a discount chain (the cleaners) and I probably use them five times a year. This year was different, and I probably brought in 40 pieces to be cleaned. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. (Gosh, I hate this sort of thing.)
I'm sorry to hear about your dress. I would expect them to pay for the dress. I would recommend that you find a comparable dress at a store near you and take them a picture and price information. Don't allow them to give you a shop credit, because you don't use them enough to make it worthwhile. You may also want to contact other local cleaners and find out their damage policy. If your receipt has a damage policy, you may be bound to those terms. I would be honest with them and tell them that you expect them to replace the dress. Even if the dress was used and a gift you should expect it replaced. If you want, find a consignment shop or department store outlet store to find a similar item that won't be full price to compare prices. I would also recommend that you search Ebay for the same dress or similar dress so you know it's true value. Just present the data to them and tell them you want a refund of the price of the item so it can be replaced. If you are asking for reasonable compensation, with proof of price, they shouldn't argue much since they can't fight facts. I would recommend getting any agreement in writing if they don't offer it while you are there. If they don't offer to settle with you, you can file a complaint with the BBB as well as take them to small claims court. Sometimes the threat of these actions is enough to get them to resolve the matter. Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 19 1,509 04-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,402 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 560 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,135 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 702 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  How to Evaluate Advice (Before Using It) Kal Di 2 780 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  UDACITY advice Cofffeee 8 1,323 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  The Best Life Advice Thread natshar 8 2,584 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  HR Advice burbuja0512 17 2,986 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Nervous about transferring , any advice 2L8 2 2,304 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Last Post: davewill