Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on fastest degree
Based on my credit hours earned should I just get a BS in liberal studies from TESU?  I did take some computer classes but I don't want to do any programming classes or anything.  I just want to get my degree fastest way possible.

Here are my credits:
Spanish 201 -3 credits(AP exam)
Spanish 202 -3 credits(AP exam)
Introduction to engineering-3 credits
Math 11100- 3 credits(algebra)
Trig with Analytic Geometry - 3 credits
Intro to circuits analysis- 4 credits
Math 136-3 credits (college algebra)
Student success-1 credit
Computer Science 1 - 3 credits
IT Hardware Software support - 4 credits

30 total. 

I realize some of these classes probably don't count against any degree or prereqs.  With what I have what would be the easiest path.  I have a decent job right now I would just like to get my degree as a personal goal and may need it long term if I ever want to get into management. Thank you for any help you can provide.
TESU BALS. Went from 55 credits to 131 credits in 5 months. Its so non specific you could apply probably all of that
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • Lucas156
Assuming it was a regionally accredited college, all of those should transfer to TESU. Anything that doesn't fit gen eds will just be a free elective. TESU BALS is generally the most flexible program so probably your fastest option.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Lucas156
I agree with everyone else here TESU BALS has allot of flexibility.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Lucas156
(10-04-2018, 05:33 PM)Lucas156 Wrote: Based on my credit hours earned should I just get a BS in liberal studies from TESU?  I did take some computer classes but I don't want to do any programming classes or anything.  I just want to get my degree fastest way possible.

Here are my credits:
Spanish 201 -3 credits(AP exam)
Spanish 202 -3 credits(AP exam)
Introduction to engineering-3 credits
Math 11100- 3 credits(algebra)
Trig with Analytic Geometry - 3 credits
Intro to circuits analysis- 4 credits
Math 136-3 credits (college algebra)
Student success-1 credit
Computer Science 1 - 3 credits
IT Hardware Software support - 4 credits

30 total. 

I realize some of these classes probably don't count against any degree or prereqs.  With what I have what would be the easiest path.  I have a decent job right now I would just like to get my degree as a personal goal and may need it long term if I ever want to get into management. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Why do liberal studies? If your long term goal is management, then do the BSBA in general mgmt, I just finished that degree 2 weeks ago. I think all of your courses will count. After you apply, you can see how they fit in.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jdesign's post:
  • Lucas156, sanantone
I would spend the extra time and get the BSBA in General Management. (Along with a 2nd AOS if you choose to do so) I was in a similar situation as you a few months ago, as I would have been able to apply a lot more of my credits if I had chosen the BALS. Considering the majority of your classes look like they will transfer to the BSBA, there is absolutely no sense in getting a BALS degree. My opinion is that the BALS is best for someone who has 70+ credits, the majority of which won't work in any of the other degree plans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes activechamp06's post:
  • Lucas156
you don't have enough credits for it to really matter what path you pick. it's going to depend more on what you already know and can test out of faster. you should go with a degree in an area you area already familiar with, that will get you through it quicker than trying to bend yourself to suit your banked credits, imo

all the ones you already have are either core or will count as electives, no matter what the degree is. start CLEPing or get a sub to Study.com and do your other core classes while you decide, if you like. I mean they're going to force you to do English Comp 1 and 2 no matter what degree you go for, so start doing those and you have time to mull it over
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Lucas156
A BSBA, at TESU, WGU or any of the Big 3 would be fine. I agree that unless you're working somewhere where ANY degree will get you into management, getting a BSBA is going to be the better route.

Also, if you went to TESU, I would not waste time getting a concentration in General Management AND something else. Either pick GM, or choose a concentration, but there is no benefit to doing both. GM is just kind of generic for "I wanted a well-rounded management degree" while a concentration is something you wanted to focus on. If there's nothing you want to focus on, then go generic; if there's something you want to focus on, focus on it. No reason to go generic AND focused.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Lucas156
deja vu! we're having the same concentration discussion in two threads.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-04-2018, 07:51 PM)jsd Wrote: deja vu! we're having the same concentration discussion in two threads.

As well as the one about a BA in Comm and a BALS.  Not sure why people think a generic degree/concentration is something to shoot for on top of a more specific one?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 14 498 03-27-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: RJ77
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 288 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 243 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 238 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,757 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 498 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,265 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,534 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM